Likelihood of FP as a second residency in 3 years?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredo32

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a psych resident in an allo program, but I did an osteopathic internship last year. I'm seriously considering a switch to an osteo FP residency, I do really like psych, but I miss FP so much. Considering how many new DO and MD schools are opening and how few new residency programs are opening, how likely would one guess that it would be that I could do a second residency in FP when I am done with my psychiatry residency? I will have used up all of my federal funding to pay for the second FP residency, but supposedly FP is a field where "they" feel there is a shortage............
Any helpful advice is appreciated:)

Members don't see this ad.

If you know that FM is what you want to do, would it be more realistic to try to transfer? I know that it almost assuredly too late to get into a residency for next year (or at least into one that isn't likely to be a hellhole), but if you transferred after your second year of psych, I think (now sending bat signal to aPD for correction) you'd at least have one year of your FM residency funded leaving your second you on the 1/2 funded scale (this since your PGY wasn't a terminal residency). Just a thought.

I was kinda thinking I might be able to find a pgy2 spot in a DO FP program this year (to start next year). Maybe not. I just want to make sure this is what I really want. At one point, I was 100000% sure I wanted to do psychiatry and I never really thought I'd miss primary care. My current PD thinks it may just be trouble adjusting to psych or not having enough variety of patients or that I will find another aspect of psych that I love (right now we're just doing 100% outpatient psych). But, I definitely feel like I'm missing the faster pace of FP and the variety that one sees in FP, so I was just trying to give myself every opportunity to not miss out on psych if my PD is right(but really, personally, I think I would be happier in FP).

if all else fails, just get board certified or BE and you can just get a license and work as a GP (open up ur own clinic or work in a clinic you find somwhere). it takes a lot of work or connections to build a patient base though. or you can work in home care, where you make house calls. they allow nonBE/BC at this time at least. or own ur own home care.