Light at the end of the tunnel....Job Offers Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmaSex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Finally! I recieved two job offers over the past week -- one from Rite Aid and one from Walgreens!

The pay is pretty competitve from both as well. Rite aid is offering $56.50/hr and WAGS is giving me $59.80/hr. I am totally psyched and am really trying to decide between the two. I am leaning towards WAGS as they pay overtime and Rite Aid does not.

Please feel free to share your good news as well!!

Members don't see this ad.

Nice! Congrats. Where are the locations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on the two job offers! I would go with Wags, as I think Rite Aid will be going out of business in the future...

I have good news, I was able to get a hospital job after being in retail for 2.5 years. Sure, I took a pay cut, but I actually like my job and don't dread going to work anymore.

Finally! I recieved two job offers over the past week -- one from Rite Aid and one from Walgreens!

The pay is pretty competitve from both as well. Rite aid is offering $56.50/hr and WAGS is giving me $59.80/hr. I am totally psyched and am really trying to decide between the two. I am leaning towards WAGS as they pay overtime and Rite Aid does not.

Congrats!
Is this your first job? How long it took you to get these offers?

The reason why WAGS pays so much more is they have a much higher attrition rate. It is truly a terrible working environment. But then again, if you're going after $, then it's probably one of the highest-paying pharmacy jobs right out of graduation. Probably, the highest, ha.

My Walgreens offer is only $57.50/hr. How did you get a higher offer??????? WTF

God damn you retail pharmacists get paid so much more compared to us hospital ppl.

Hospital I am at now paids $52 a hr. Not too bad.

It also depends on the location. $57.50 in a undesirable location is low compared to a few years ago.

LOL! I'm Mr 3.0-slide-on-through and I got offered $61 to work in Fort Worth. That 4.0 GPA of yours sure did help with getting you a job hahaha :laugh:

LOL! I'm Mr 3.0-slide-on-through and I got offered $61 to work in Fort Worth. That 4.0 GPA of yours sure did help with getting you a job hahaha :laugh:

Nope sure didn't. :( I am in the process of getting my location CHANGED! :laugh:

Hows your hospital job? Your paid good there too? The hospital I am doing my rotations at now paids $52 an hour starting.

Members don't see this ad :)
My dream job is ExpressScripts...GOD PLEASE HIRE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be applying with them everyday after graduation until someone offers me an interview!

What's your location? Sound similar to my wag offer.. Tampa area 58.90

This is a good thread. Post your job offer, pay and location.

Don't forget, benefits are just as important as pay. I have been hearing the retails have cut benefits for new grads (e.g., wait for a year for 401 k matching, vacation, health insurance)

What's your location? Sound similar to my wag offer.. Tampa area 58.90

All my locations are East coast; specifically the northeast. One area is the eastorn shore area of MD, the other is in north Delaware (think Wilmington) area. I just recently went to another interview for the South NJ area for an overnite 7 days on/7 days off position. me thinks this one might be the one to choose.

I applied to these companies in Mid december and had my interviews scheduled over the last couple weeks.

It's been pretty tough to find positions however. I know of one student in my class that claimed to have applied to over ONE HUNDRED positions and received no interviews. I myself have been rejected twice from prior interviews for a position and one response to Manhattan for no open positions in the area. I really believe it is due to my extensive retail background that I got these offers (I've done retail for the past 5 years).

So relieved to know that I'm all set for graduation.

^^ congratulation! It's not easy nowadays. A job well done. Your hard work paid off!

My dream job is ExpressScripts...GOD PLEASE HIRE ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be applying with them everyday after graduation until someone offers me an interview!

What is so good about this company that has you salivatin this way? Good pay and easy environment I assume?

It's been pretty tough to find positions however. I know of one student in my class that claimed to have applied to over ONE HUNDRED positions and received no interviews. I myself have been rejected twice from prior interviews for a position and one response to Manhattan for no open positions in the area. I really believe it is due to my extensive retail background that I got these offers (I've done retail for the past 5 years).

So relieved to know that I'm all set for graduation.

The job that accepted you is in NYC?

Any update on current pharmacy climate at Target? Five-six years ago they were the best retail company to work for, but about 2 years ago I started hearing things about them letting PIC @ slow stores go and generally just a lot more micromanage and metrics

The job that accepted you is in NYC?

Actually, I haven't accepted anything as of yet. I just got the offers over the past week and am debatng the options and locations. There were no open positions in Manhattan and so I was not offered an interview for that area.

Any update on current pharmacy climate at Target? Five-six years ago they were the best retail company to work for, but about 2 years ago I started hearing things about them letting PIC @ slow stores go and generally just a lot more micromanage and metrics

They were at my school when our class interviewed but they told almost all of us that there were no jobs available. Their selection process is just...strange to say the least. I know one girl that was told by a district manager (or at least I think it was a district manager) that she would be a terrible fit. All of the other chains jumped at the chance to hire her so it was kind of weird. She compared that feeling to a med student getting accepted by Harvard but rejected by the University of Phoenix. One of those WTF moments I guess.

They were at my school when our class interviewed but they told almost all of us that there were no jobs available. Their selection process is just...strange to say the least. I know one girl that was told by a district manager (or at least I think it was a district manager) that she would be a terrible fit. All of the other chains jumped at the chance to hire her so it was kind of weird. She compared that feeling to a med student getting accepted by Harvard but rejected by the University of Phoenix. One of those WTF moments I guess.

Exact same thing happened at my school at a career fair a couple weeks ago. They only interviewed a hanful of students and would only grant you an interview if they liked your resume. The girl I was talking to actually lied about the interview sign-up shet being full. I walk behind their booth and see two EMPTY sheets of paper. Funny thing is, they granted an interview to someone with no retail experience. I believe they were going for the more attractive candidates to be honest as all the one offered interviews were all female. In addtion, the upper classmen that got jobs at Target after graduation last year were two good looking girls. I really do think they are use appearance as a marketing thing at their stores (at least in this district). I just don't see how I couldn't have been offered an interview with all my experience, and I do speak perfect english so communication could not have been an issue.

Don't you live in NY? That's like $40 an hour for some states.

Yeah I live in NY. At this point it doesn't matter because I live at home with the parents so free rent, utilities, etc. The hospital is a 2 minute drive from my parents house as well so whatever money I spend on gas for the car is to go out. Just wish the hospital was like $60 starting, that way I can pay off some loans or be driving a Porsche Boxter S instead of a Scion FR-S.

I also have an interview offer at another hospital. My favorite professor from pharm school is a clinical manager there so we'll see how that goes.

Yeah I live in NY. At this point it doesn't matter because I live at home with the parents so free rent, utilities, etc. The hospital is a 2 minute drive from my parents house as well so whatever money I spend on gas for the car is to go out. Just wish the hospital was like $60 starting, that way I can pay off some loans or be driving a Porsche Boxter S instead of a Scion FR-S.

I also have an interview offer at another hospital. My favorite professor from pharm school is a clinical manager there so we'll see how that goes.

Based on previous context...Luckiest man alive

good luck on your interview! don't you owe like $300 K+ in student loans? Are you going on IBR?

Exact same thing happened at my school at a career fair a couple weeks ago. They only interviewed a hanful of students and would only grant you an interview if they liked your resume. The girl I was talking to actually lied about the interview sign-up shet being full. I walk behind their booth and see two EMPTY sheets of paper. Funny thing is, they granted an interview to someone with no retail experience. I believe they were going for the more attractive candidates to be honest as all the one offered interviews were all female. In addtion, the upper classmen that got jobs at Target after graduation last year were two good looking girls. I really do think they are use appearance as a marketing thing at their stores (at least in this district). I just don't see how I couldn't have been offered an interview with all my experience, and I do speak perfect english so communication could not have been an issue.

How do they know how good looking you are? You post a Linkedin link in your resume and get a pro pic? LOL

What is so good about this company that has you salivatin this way? Good pay and easy environment I assume?

Yes ExpressScripts is my number one choice. Over Publix and Walgreens. LOL...

Yes for the environment. The paid is similar I am sure.

How the hell do you get clinicial pharmacist positions in hospitals without residency in NEW YORK CITY??????? That's what I am wondering. NYC is probably the most saturated city in the USA. Clinicial positions are near impossible to find in crappy cities. How do you do it?

Sparda29, you know you shouldn't get a new car at the hospital unless it belongs to someone else, since you were telling stories of nurses keying people's cars.

How the hell do you get clinicial pharmacist positions in hospitals without residency in NEW YORK CITY??????? That's what I am wondering. NYC is probably the most saturated city in the USA. Clinicial positions are near impossible to find in crappy cities. How do you do it?

You don't unless you know people.

Sparda29, you know you shouldn't get a new car at the hospital unless it belongs to someone else, since you were telling stories of nurses keying people's cars.

I park in the doctors parking lot where there are plenty of cameras. It's like rows and rows of BMWs, Porsches, Audis, Mercedes, and I'm like the one Scion (but it looks like a Lotus).

Having to pay huge amounts of rent and having student loans for the next 10 years prevents me from getting a Porsche or other fancy car. I don't want any more bills.

Working for them and knowing how they interview is a step ahead against the competition. I still like them after my few years interning there. Their offer was competitive to my CVS offer and beat the Wags offer I received. Like any place else metrics and upper management trying to micromanage depends on who your bosses are. I know some that harp on them no matter what and others that stay out of your hair so long as your numbers are good. It's retail.

Working for them and knowing how they interview is a step ahead against the competition. I still like them after my few years interning there. Their offer was competitive to my CVS offer and beat the Wags offer I received. Like any place else metrics and upper management trying to micromanage depends on who your bosses are. I know some that harp on them no matter what and others that stay out of your hair so long as your numbers are good. It's retail.

Yeah I got an offer from them in a great metro area so I'm doing some homework to help me make the correct decision

Well despite my apprehensiveness, I must have made a good impression on the Rite Aid folks. I just got an offer that would allow me to stay local (N. Virginia). That's a big deal bc our house is way underwater and both my wife and I grew up here our whole lives. I believe I was offered the job because while on IPPE and community rotation at their store I got along really well with the PIC/made a good impression. The less exciting part is the offer is for 84k/year. And it is salary position so they can make you work overtime and without pay as I understand the offer. I would like to hold out for something better, but the offer would sure look golden if I was stuck unemployed.

I would be very grateful for some advice.

The less exciting part is the offer is for 84k/year. And it is salary position so they can make you work overtime and without pay as I understand the offer..

Are you freaking kidding me?! 84 k a year and you are salaried so they will make you work more than 40 hours a week. Don't you also have an MBA? That's crazy

Yeah, we have an MBA track in our program. It's a full MBA too, not a PharmD/MBA where it's like a paired degree. I'm really stuck here. I think I'll accept and keep interviewing. Another student in my class said he knew someone in my area that was offered 120k at a grocery chain. That's a huge difference. I might go ask if they can make me a more attractive offer. I'd like to see at least 100k since my loans are probably near the 200k mark.

84 k is way too low. I am surprised Rite Aid would make that offer to you.

Are you freaking kidding me?! 84 k a year and you are salaried so they will make you work more than 40 hours a week. Don't you also have an MBA? That's crazy

84 k is way too low. I am surprised Rite Aid would make that offer to you.

Don't mean to call bull**** but with a Jan 2013 reg date I just can't believe this without proof of the scanned offer letter. I have never heard of such a low offer honestly. It's just not believable. It is so outside of any market average I've ever read about.

http://swz.salary.com/SalaryWizard/Pharmacist-Salary-Details-Arlington-VA.aspx

Well despite my apprehensiveness, I must have made a good impression on the Rite Aid folks. I just got an offer that would allow me to stay local (N. Virginia). That's a big deal bc our house is way underwater and both my wife and I grew up here our whole lives. I believe I was offered the job because while on IPPE and community rotation at their store I got along really well with the PIC/made a good impression. The less exciting part is the offer is for 84k/year. And it is salary position so they can make you work overtime and without pay as I understand the offer. I would like to hold out for something better, but the offer would sure look golden if I was stuck unemployed.

I would be very grateful for some advice.

$84K for a salaried Rite Aid job in Virginia? Either you're a liar or you're getting played. I would have laughed at that offer.

don't mean to call bull**** but with a jan 2013 reg date i just can't believe this without proof of the scanned offer letter. I have never heard of such a low offer honestly. It's just not believable. It is so outside of any market average i've ever read about.

http://swz.salary.com/salarywizard/pharmacist-salary-details-arlington-va.aspx

$84k for a salaried rite aid job in virginia? Either you're a liar or you're getting played. I would have laughed at that offer.

+1