This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bguttery123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the lifestyle of being an general internist in the Army? Do you work only hospital or only clinic, or a mix? Do you have a choice on what you want to do in that regard, i.e. Just be an internist working outpatient 8-5 vs internist working 7 12's on, 7 off?

Thanks for any responses!

Members don't see this ad.

Wake up at 0400. PT for 90 minutes. Shower up. Press uniform. Formation at 0600. Recite Pledge of allegiance and sing national anthem. salute flag. salute picture of Trump. salute God. head to clinic. see one patient for athlete's foot. leave clinic. three hours of mandatory lecture about insufficient number of available clinic slots. hit DFAC. eat three pounds of animal fat. back to clinic. see one patient for obesity and HTN who isn't sure why he has it. stop fight between two civilian employees at your front desk who have spent the last 15 years rotating clinic to clinic because they just can't get along with another human being, and now they're both your problem. clinic closes at 1500. finish up notes. two notes takes 45 minutes on AHLTA. finish two hours of mandatory online training about cyber security and bullying and how to make transgendered soldiers feel like they're really your preferred soldier. Go home. drink quart of vodka. pass out in own filth.

• Haha
Reactions: 21 users
Seriously, though, it depends upon where you're stationed. Most places have a mix of inpatient and outpatient care, but I've certainly been posted places where most of the internists only do outpatient care. Not sure how often they only do inpatient care, but I've seen that too (at the same place. One guy just did all the inpatient care and the rest only saw clinic). You have a choice, I imagine, that is based upon where you're stationed and how you work things out with the rest of the internists in your department. Hours are probably more regular. I don't think most guys are working 7 on and 7 off in internal medicine in the military.

Note: I am not an internist, these are just my observations

Members don't see this ad :)
Wake up at 0400. PT for 90 minutes. Shower up. Press uniform. Formation at 0600. Recite Pledge of allegiance and sing national anthem. salute flag. salute picture of Trump. salute God. head to clinic. see one patient for athlete's foot. leave clinic. three hours of mandatory lecture about insufficient number of available clinic slots. hit DFAC. eat three pounds of animal fat. back to clinic. see one patient for obesity and HTN who isn't sure why he has it. stop fight between two civilian employees at your front desk who have spent the last 15 years rotating clinic to clinic because they just can't get along with another human being, and now they're both your problem. clinic closes at 1500. finish up notes. two notes takes 45 minutes on AHLTA. finish two hours of mandatory online training about cyber security and bullying and how to make transgendered soldiers feel like they're really your preferred soldier. Go home. drink quart of vodka. pass out in own filth.

HighPriest, this was brilliant.

I giggled way louder at this than I should have.......

No seriously...do they have transgender online training now? I have to know. :) hopefully they packaged in trans species and trans age training...we don’t want to exclude anyone.

No seriously...do they have transgender online training now? I have to know. :) hopefully they packaged in trans species and trans age training...we don’t want to exclude anyone.
No clue. But if not yet, soon.

Not online training but we do have mandatory training on transgender soldiers.

Can anyone comment on the lifestyle of being an general internist in the Army? Do you work only hospital or only clinic, or a mix? Do you have a choice on what you want to do in that regard, i.e. Just be an internist working outpatient 8-5 vs internist working 7 12's on, 7 off?

Thanks for any responses!

I would be glad to put you in touch with a current Army Internist. PM me.

Outfrackingstanding...Army IM here...PM me if questions. As said above schedule is highly variable depending on location and whether you are operational, clinic or hospital based.

We had to do mandatory in person training on transgendered Sailors with our XO. It was an hour long guided training with some power points. There were a lot of goals, but I’m not sure I really got an answer to what happens when someone taking daily T shots is on a ship scheduled for a 9 month deployment. I think they basically become non-deployable, but I’m not sure. Either way, I think the consensus is that it is going to be such a small amount of people that it shouldn’t be too much of an impact. *shrug* Pretty sure it’s all on hold now anyway.