This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jsat

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Where do I begin....... I began medical school this past month. All has been going well enough, however a few days ago a parent of mine has suddenly passed away. I've been working with the school to figure out accommodations and they have graciously offered to either 1) take a month off to sort it out. Or 2) Take the whole year and come back as we have just started (with no financial penalty).

To be honest I'm not sure if any of the tragedy has really sunk in yet and I'm leaning towards option 2, but I'm currently an HPSP student in the Army and do not know how they will take a year deferment. Is it even an option? Do they just kick you out? Where do I begin with finding someone to talk to about this topic?

Thank you all in advance.
It's tough to go through this.... LOA's do happen successfully with Army HPSP.

HPSP Division & Program Manager is Mr. Don Simmons. If no one reaches out here with his contact information post on the Military HPSP Facebook page asking for his contact information. Do you have the contact information for your assigned HPSP administration person? You might have dealt with them previously. Generally you are assigned based on the first letter of your last name.

Another option is to contact Colonel Joseph Sterbis Director Medical Education Directorate - I will send his contact info via DM though it is available publicly on the GME slideshows the last two years. He's at the top of the HPSP chain of command but could redirect you to the appropriate contact.

Very sorry to hear that. I lost a parent during training. Take time if you need it. Don’t rush into something you aren’t mentally prepared for.