This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalendarJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I'm hoping to get some more background on the lifestyle and workloads of physician scientists.

Do you often have to work overnight? Is it socially acceptable to work <60-hour weeks? How do you see lifestyle vary between fields, specifically with physician scientists?

Background: 3rd year undergraduate. I like research, enjoy being in hospitals, and think teaching graduate students/residents would be fun long-term. I like computational genetics, so I'm thinking PhD computational biology, MD, and internal medicine/pediatrics + clinical genetics may be a good fit. I also like sleep, however. I've worked jobs where I have to be on-call overnight and/or sleep little for a day or two and I can do it pretty well, but I don't think think I want that lifestyle long-term-health wise.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I'm hoping to get some more background on the lifestyle and workloads of physician scientists.

Do you often have to work overnight? Is it socially acceptable to work <60-hour weeks? How do you see lifestyle vary between fields, specifically with physician scientists?

Background: 3rd year undergraduate. I like research, enjoy being in hospitals, and think teaching graduate students/residents would be fun long-term. I like computational genetics, so I'm thinking PhD computational biology, MD, and internal medicine/pediatrics + clinical genetics may be a good fit. I also like sleep, however. I've worked jobs where I have to be on-call overnight and/or sleep little for a day or two and I can do it pretty well, but I don't think think I want that lifestyle long-term-health wise.
As an attending, you have a good measure of control of your schedule.
Residency is always hell, from what I’ve heard.

The problem as I see it is that you just have little control of your life as an MD/PhD and your life is constantly changing.

Some months will be worse than others. Some (many?) months will require 80 hours a week. Some months will be a lot easier than that. Some months will require being up overnight. Most will not.

Residencies and faculty positions vary a lot. In pathology you're not going to be working overnight. In surgery you better not have problems being sleep deprived (even as an attending). There's a whole range of possibilities out there. Throw in a lab and you may be working 12 hours M-F plus weekends but with good sleep hygeine. That might be ok for you, it might not.

Reactions: 2 users
Research does provide flexibility. A significant portion of research is reading, learning, writing. That can be done anywhere and at anytime. Additionally, with most computer system linked to networks, I can analyze data, create graphs, etc. on my work computer from home. Some of my best work (writing, analyzing and creating figures) was done at home while having a bourbon... at least the parts that were legible.

But I still work overnight and have in house call. It can vary in that I can get 4 to 6 hours of sleep while on call or absolutely no sleep and am pushing fluids and intubating patients at 4am with no rest. The down side is, usually, I go into the lab the next day or have meetings till early afternoon (and sometimes 4pm), thus I've worked 36 consecutive hours with no sleep. Then I have stuff to do the rest of the week and on weekends. A typical work week is probably about ~60 hours, but at least once a month, its around 100 hours in a week. It is what it is, but like I said, research provides some flexibility in the schedule.

Reactions: 2 users