Competitive gpa for medical scientist training program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

O.F. Hanson

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a second-year undergrad at a liberal arts school that requires students to work a minimum of 10hrs/wk as a part of their financial aid. I have contributed to 400hrs. of research during a summer internship; 200-some hours for two different research projects--one of which I wrote two successful research proposals for (one earned a DOI and is citable); earned a little bit of shadowing experience (15hrs.); and currently 3.89GPA and no MCAT.

My concern is that I am about to close off a semester with a "below par" final performance. I am set with a B for a course titled "GSTR 310 Understandings of Christianity" and probably a B in "BIO 441: Cell and Molec Biology," a junior or senior level course I probably should've held off on.

These B's obviously do not look good for premeds, and certainly not for a pre-professional student seeking an MD/Ph.D. (particularly MSTP) program.

The reason behind a seemingly lackadaisical performance, however, is due to my independently designed research project, which added about 20hrs/wk on my plate in addition to 10hrs/wk for another research project. This has been a research-intensive semester for me.

Will this semester, with two B's in a semester, look horrible on a transcript applying to MSTP's as competitive as they are? Should I consider retaking a class and performing better in a later semester to replace B for A?

All responses are very much appreciated!

- worried premed

Members don't see this ad.

Do you really think all MD/PhD programs are full of trainees with 4.0 GPAs? They're not. Your GPA is competitive. Work hard, do well on your MCAT, +/- more research, apply wisely and you'll be fine.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Moving to physician scientists.

Your GPA is fine. Your research experience is going to be very important

Reactions: 1 user