Life as a military Pod

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pod101

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Information seems to be scattered along several threads (some very old, and long forgotten) Would be nice to have a thread devoted completely to military related questions.

Information I could gather...
Navy offers HSCP (may return to HSPS) scholarship.
Army offers a residency program that offers instant access to the military upon completion.

No other branch offers anything that I am aware of.

Podiatrist -> Enters in as an O3. (same deal for MDs, DOs, ODs, PharmD) PA's are O2 and Nurses (BSN, idk about APRN) ** O1

Podiatrists are part of the Medical Service Corps (Same as ODs, Pharmacists, Biochemists, Audiologists, Physical trainers...etc) ** But, supposedly deployed with the medical corps (MD/DO) **

Highest ranking Podiatrist I could find was a Lt. Colonel in the Army and a Commander in the Navy, O5.

Here is where my line of questions begins:

1) If anyone could enlighten us on perks/cons as a military podiatrist. Where do you get stationed? Likely hood of being deployed near a combat situation (if you want/don't want it)

2) I noticed that Podiatrists are the only group that does NOT seem to..
a) get special pay (MD/DO specialty, Pharmacists, Nurses, etc)
b) get retention bonus
c) advance quickly (I have found Nurses/Pharmacists/ODs/PAs at O6, MDs at O7, Engineers at O7) pods cap out at O5?

3) total pay for a podiatrist seems to be around 40k-caps off at 100k for 20 years of service?

4) Podiatrists are listed as "high need" by several branches but recruiters seem to mistake you as an MD/DO then when the realize you aren't discard you. Is there a need?

Members don't see this ad.

I can help you answer some of those questions, I am currently a third year Navy HPSP student, with 5 years of prior active duty service in the Navy. You are right about there being an Army residency for podiatrists, but from what I have heard the Navy has stopped accepting HPSP podiatry students (this is second hand information from incoming students attempting to enter the program), I am not sure if this is a permanant halt in accepting students or if the Navy just doesn't need more at the current time.
Podiatrist do enter as O-3 and are in the medical service corps, but while in the HPSP program you are an 0-1 until you graduate, then you are promoted to 0-3. I do not know about what is the current highest ranking podiatrists, but there is no upper limit on what rank can be attained. As with all medical specialties, generally, when you pass 0-5/6 you no longer deal as much with patient care, but transition into the administrative side of medicine.
so as to your numbered questions.
1. I think the pros/cons of military medicine are very individual, you will most likely take a pay decrease, but you are working with a very deserving and motivated group of individuals. You will most likely have to move every 2-3 years, with minimal say in where you will be going, as it depends on the needs of the Navy vs. your preferences, where the needs of the Navy/military take precedence. As far as being deployed in a combat situation, it is possible, but from my time on active duty and hearsay, it is not likely. The role of forward deployed medical professionals is to stabilize injured service members, not to provide definitive care, and in that light, it is more likely to see an orthopod deployed, who can treat the foot/ankle as well as the rest of the body, and have the podiatrist remain stateside, to provide definitive care upon return. Now, I do know of at least 3 podiatrists that I have had contact with (from both Army and Navy) who have spent some time in Iraq/Kuwait/Afghanistan, so it is always a possibility.
2. you are right, podiatrists do not get; specialty pay, or retention bonuses, and as for advancing as previously stated you are in the MSC (medial service corps), which is a much larger group than the medical corps (MD/DO), so there is more competition to advance. To explain a little further, there are only so many spots for 0-4, so to go from 0-3 to 0-4 you will be competing with all the PA's, healthcare administrator, researchers, and other specialties, so it will be somewhat harder. There is some hope on the horizon, Dr. Wenstrup was just elected to congress, he is the first podiatrist ever elected, and he is a reserve military podiatrist, and one of his goals is to have podiatry moved from MSC to the medical corps.
3. As far as pay goes, with all benefits an 0-3 will generally make over 70k a year (tax free housing allowance and food allowance plus basic pay), and pay is based on time in service and rank, so the longer you stay in and higher you rise in rank the more you will make.
4. I am not sure about podiatrists being listed as high need or not, but yes from my experience and from what I have heard from others, if you want to be a military podiatrist it is something you must fight to become. There are relatively few podiatrists in the military, and many who enter the military remain for a career, which should say something about the lifestyle and benefits.

I hope this helps, and I will admit I am no expert, but these are my thoughts. If anyone has any questions just send me a message, I am more than willing to share my thoughts and experiences.

The quick answer I got regarding the Navy. As of 2012 the Navy stopped the HSPS (or at least the full 4 year version, i heard rumors there are some 2 year versions available). The reasoning was HSPS scholarships across the board are being reduced: Army gets the majority of the HSPS funds and that Army has less of a need for podiatrists. They (the Navy) has a HSCP scholarship that pays 200,000k during your 3 year residency.

I guess what I found odd is that with no specialty pay or retention pay it appears on the surface that podiatry is the least paid member of the Medical Service Corps. Just seemed odd that professions with a lot less schooling and the nurse you work with will be making a lot more money. Even Dentists have their own benefits. In terms of advancement I asked b/c I was told if you want to advance in rank its based on a point system. You get more points being deployed in a combat situation/at sea etc. If podiatry is largely state side...I could see where it would be especially hard for podiatrists to advance up the ranks.

Members don't see this ad :)
The navy comes and talks at our school every year. They bring great sandwiches.

Personally... it doesnt seem worth it. They do (slowly) pay your loans back which is nice, but you cap out at a lower salary, they treat you as second hand doctors (already explained above), and you have to constantly move.

I do not want to have my kids go through 2 grade schools, 2 middle schools, and 2 highschools. Kids need stability.

Also if you do not get a RRA residency the navy comes knocking on your door and wants their money back.

(loan repayment, salary cap, ranking, RRA residency requirement above came from direct questions asked to the navy representatives)

I was one of the people gibbman was talking about. I jumped through all the Navy's hoops, background check, MEPS, etc etc only to find out in August that the Navy was not going to award any HPSP pod scholarships in 2013. My recruiter told me to call her back in July-ish of this summer to see if they start them again for 2014, but she said it's not likely. Good luck though!

DYK, things may have changed with the podiatry HPSP, but my contract from 2010, states that I must graduate from a college of podiatry accredited by the Council on Education of the American Podiatry Association and obtain licensure in one of the 50 states or the District of Columbia upon entry to active duty, nowhere does it state that I must attend a residency that is RRA, though I dont know why if possible you would not want to attend a RRA residency. I will point out again, you DO NOT cap out at a lower salary, all 0-1's earn the same and all 0-5's earn the same basic pay, the differences are in the bonuses, but even in that regard a internal medicine practitioner does not receive the same incentive pay as a cardiologist or an anesthesiologist. There is not rank where a podiatrist cannot be promoted above. I admit it may be hard to reach 0-7/8/9 as a podiatrist, but that is true of any military profession, most MD's do not reach admiral or general. As you move up in rank it becomes harder to become promoted. So yes, being deployed does help to set you apart during selection boards, but it is not required. The military is not for everyone, and everyone is not cut out for the military, but service is in my opinion very rewarding. There is a reason that the military is not constantly searching for podiatrists to join, or trying to replace the podiatrists that get out after completing there initial term of service, most create a career out of the military, which should say something about the field. ArmyPod does gives a great perspective of what for the most part military service is about and how podiatrists are treated, and I would second the recommendation to read all his posts in that thread for anyone interested.

Things may have changed since 2010, but 3 people from the Navy told us that we have to complete an RRA residency. Most people want an RRA residency. Not everyone gets it.

With that said, you have to be a top student to get into the Navy pod. Top students usually get RRA.

I dont know anything about the army as they never spoke at our school.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of this ultimately comes down to is whether the millitary is your thing or not. I could see that being hell having to fullfil service requirement that comes with that scholarship if that sort of lifestyle is not for you.
How many PODs does the millitary have anyway, I can not see them having a whole lot so I can't see them dishing out too many of these free rides every year.

I contacted the navy as well as the USAF and both said that they are currently not accepting any pod students so it looks like 2013 is not good for those looking to join the military for podiatry