Liberty University-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

From 3:40 till the end, Richard Dawkins just destroys Liberty, it's hilarious! (And I'm not a big Dawkins fan). But in actuality, I'm pretty sure LUCOM trains their students to be competent physicians and find 6 figure jobs just like HMS and JHU. I haven't seen their match lists or board success, but I'm guessing they are both fine or they would've been shut down by now.

Members don't see this ad.

From 3:40 till the end, Richard Dawkins just destroys Liberty, it's hilarious! (And I'm not a big Dawkins fan). But in actuality, I'm pretty sure LUCOM trains their students to be competent physicians and find 6 figure jobs just like HMS and JHU. I haven't seen their match lists or board success, but I'm guessing they are both fine or they would've been shut down by now.

They haven't had a class take boards or go through the match yet

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thats pretty disturbing, honestly. I thought though, that the COM mentioned that they ARE accepting of other faiths-- that they had muslims and atheists in the incoming class, for example.

I am a student in the Inaugural class...thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I was hesitant to attend LUCOM for the reasons stated above: it's extremely conservative. Upon beginning school, there was definitely adjustment for me however, I have found VERY little that I don't love about this school. Our dean is amazing, this is not his first rodeo. Are there creationists on staff? Yes. Are there people who are extremely Christen? Definitely. Has it negatively impacted my education? I don't think so. Along with some differences in ideology for sure, comes a genuine feeling of not being "just a number" at my medical school which is something I was looking for. Our faculty is great, there are of course professors that I learn better from than others but that would be the case no matter where I go. I am in constant contact with friends who are OMS 1 students elsewhere and we have the same issues with school. Our administration has done an amazing job at collecting student impressions, suggestion and complaints and implementing change for the greater good of the class. We have a WIDE variety of faiths in our class and for the most part, everyone respects each other more-so than personal experiences at undergraduate campuses. Does Liberty have a reputation, no doubt about it, but I can honestly say I am one of the most liberal people you will probably meet and I love it here. As physicians we will come up against differing opinions indefinitely, I feel that interacting with such a wide range of opinions and beliefs has helped me (in just my few short months) develop tools that I will use with patients and colleges in the future. If anyone has any personal questions feel free to ask I'm happy to share my experiences.

Reactions: 1 user
wh
I am a student in the Inaugural class...thought I would throw my 2 cents in. I was hesitant to attend LUCOM for the reasons stated above: it's extremely conservative. Upon beginning school, there was definitely adjustment for me however, I have found VERY little that I don't love about this school. Our dean is amazing, this is not his first rodeo. Are there creationists on staff? Yes. Are there people who are extremely Christen? Definitely. Has it negatively impacted my education? I don't think so. Along with some differences in ideology for sure, comes a genuine feeling of not being "just a number" at my medical school which is something I was looking for. Our faculty is great, there are of course professors that I learn better from than others but that would be the case no matter where I go. I am in constant contact with friends who are OMS 1 students elsewhere and we have the same issues with school. Our administration has done an amazing job at collecting student impressions, suggestion and complaints and implementing change for the greater good of the class. We have a WIDE variety of faiths in our class and for the most part, everyone respects each other more-so than personal experiences at undergraduate campuses. Does Liberty have a reputation, no doubt about it, but I can honestly say I am one of the most liberal people you will probably meet and I love it here. As physicians we will come up against differing opinions indefinitely, I feel that interacting with such a wide range of opinions and beliefs has helped me (in just my few short months) develop tools that I will use with patients and colleges in the future. If anyone has any personal questions feel free to ask I'm happy to share my experiences.
why did you choose to attend LUCOM?

This is one of the most valuable posts in this thread. Unfortunately, it's buried in a debate that has gone on too long here. All pre-meds should take note of this.

Rotations may be great at small sites, but unfortunately, it's highly dependant on the site/preceptor, and quite frankly it's hard to know that before you go. Use this info in cliquesh's post to determine if the school has solid rotation sites. Also, be sure to contact students at the schools, because a lot of times the websites aren't up to date.

I agree. "Principle" aside...LUCOM has issues. Many of those are shared by other new programs. 1) New faculty, 2) New clinical rotation sites, 3) Many students with poor entrance scores. With Liberty you have a few unique issues: 1) Affiliated with a strongly conservative Baptist college, 2) Vaguely and poorly written code of conduct which could lead to an increase in Big Brother.

I don't know if its founder, or the fact that its affiliated with a very conservative Baptist college should matter in regards to the quality of medical education...but there is no question that it is an issue. The reason is because though other religious institutions such as Loma Linda have overcome by putting out an acceptable product, LUCOM could continue to struggle recruiting highly competitive applicants in order to put out a quality product. I was in LECOM-Bradenton's first handful of classes, and it took a few years to put out a quality product. In my class there were 5-10 student who had no business being in medical school. I don't know those students' scores...but it was a noticeable issue. I think that LECOM Bradenton is now on par with any other DO program in the country, but it took a while to get there. I think that it is going to take LUCOM a much longer time than the average school to put itself on an equal playing field.

Reactions: 1 users
Is there an alcohol policy at LUCOM? I thought I read a post about it last week and can't find it.
Yes. The following is a violation of the student code of conduct:

Appearance in the class or on the campus, at University affiliated sites or at any University sponsored events on or off campus that the student is under the influence of drugs or alcohol, illegal or illicit drugs, or chemicals.

Also:

LUCOM students should refrain from the use of alcohol, tobacco, or other drug in any manner that could compromise themselves or patient care.

wh

why did you choose to attend LUCOM?

I chose LUCOM for a few reasons...(I did CHOOSE it, I had other options both of those were established schools) 1) I wasn't afraid of it being a new school, in fact I found that exciting. I have been apart of new institutions in the past, and have found that those who are there when things get going often benefit greatly. I did my research and knew that the dean had done this before and all of those schools were very successful (Rocky Vista had a 100% match I believe for their inaugural class) 2) Compared to my other interviews, LUCOM was BY FAR the most personable. There were only 14 of us, we got one on one 30minute interviews which was definitely not the case at the other schools I interviewed at, and they had definitely read up on me. The admissions director walked into the lunch area and knew me by name and state before I even introduced myself. 3) They are part of a very wealthy institution. Some may say that's not the important thing but for me it was AN important factor. It meant that they could put their money where their mouth was, it meant they had the endowment necessary to get past the first stage of accreditation, it meant the facilities I wanted and needed in order to feel comfortable moving away from home, and to feel that I was getting the best technological education possible. 4) They are very family focused. Our dean stressed that for most of us, we couldn't have gotten here without our family and friends supporting us and for me that is definitely true. He even went to one students house to help her and her husband move in because his hand was broken if that's his definition of "Distinctly Christian" I'm 100% OK with that. I also chose LUCOM because I liked the area, I could see myself being happy here for 4 years and that happiness would be reflected in my overall well being and how I do in school and it has been right on the money so far. Yes there are people I don't agree with, but there will always be those people weather I'm in school or in a hospital or at the grocery store. I look at it as preparation. If I am approached with having to stand up for my own thoughts and opinions on controversial issues in the future (which I know we will all have to do as doctors) I can honestly say that I can do that now without loosing my temper or getting frustrated. I can make my case and be comfortable in that. I have friends at many other schools both osteopathic and allopathic and there are pros and cons regardless. I called the AOA many times to continue researching what it meant to be a religious medical school, what the accreditation process is, and what happens if they don't get accredited. (For your info they have never not accredited and institution) The accrediting body met with students 2 weeks ago and depending on how much you know about accreditation, there are ALWAYS things they need to improve. Are there bumps at LUCOM? Yes. Are they continuously listeing to every student and trying to make things better? For sure. In conclusion, there are lots of reasons I choose LUCOM. Happy to answer more questions if you have them.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there an alcohol policy at LUCOM? I thought I read a post about it last week and can't find it.

There is a policy. However, many of our policies come from the undergrad handbook that has been "tweaked" because, well we are a new school. Bottom line, we are adults. Our faculty knows we are adults. There are expectations for being professional especially when in public but I am not afraid to be myself, have not had any issues thus far. The handbook is extreme, but if you call admissions with any questions specifically, they will be straight with you and answer them. I think you would be surprised at how open they are.

(For your info they have never not accredited and institution) The accrediting body met with students 2 weeks ago and depending on how much you know about accreditation, there are ALWAYS things they need to improve. Are there bumps at LUCOM? Yes. Are they continuously listeing to every student and trying to make things better? For sure. In conclusion, there are lots of reasons I choose LUCOM. Happy to answer more questions if you have them.

1) isn't that not a good thing??
2+3) I like that!

How much time does liberty dedicate to students to study for boards? Do they have any plans to add electives to 3rd year? This could just be my opinion but I think the school would be a more 'attractive choice' should they offer electives 3rd year and more time dedicated to studying for boards as reflected by general opinions on sdn.

1) isn't that not a good thing??
2+3) I like that!

How much time does liberty dedicate to students to study for boards? Do they have any plans to add electives to 3rd year? This could just be my opinion but I think the school would be a more 'attractive choice' should they offer electives 3rd year and more time dedicated to studying for boards as reflected by general opinions on sdn.

Accrediting boards meet with students independently of faculty and staff at any new school. It's part of getting their opinions and protecting the students best interest. We have a 6 week board review course built into our schedule at the end of the 2nd year and like other schools, will also be provided with questions banks for COMPLEX. If we want USMLE we have to pay for those banks. As far as 3rd year electives, you stay in 1 location your entire 3rd year. This could be great or annoying depending on who you are. Personally I feel both ways about it but it does allow us to get to know our preceptors well enough to get great letter of recommendation. Yes there are drawbacks to our preceptors not having had students before, but there are also benefits. In my experiences back home, newer preceptors were more attentive teachers (not saying that's always the cases) that's just 1 positive I saw. It's true there aren't enough spots in Lynchburg for everyone so we have a certain amount of spots here and then there are other locations regionally and nationally that one could choose to go for their 3rd year. So I think it's actually a cool set up.

Accrediting boards meet with students independently of faculty and staff at any new school. It's part of getting their opinions and protecting the students best interest. We have a 6 week board review course built into our schedule at the end of the 2nd year and like other schools, will also be provided with questions banks for COMPLEX. If we want USMLE we have to pay for those banks.

Last edited:
Accrediting boards meet with students independently of faculty and staff at any new school. It's part of getting their opinions and protecting the students best interest. We have a 6 week board review course built into our schedule at the end of the 2nd year and like other schools, will also be provided with questions banks for COMPLEX. If we want USMLE we have to pay for those banks. As far as 3rd year electives, you stay in 1 location your entire 3rd year. This could be great or annoying depending on who you are. Personally I feel both ways about it but it does allow us to get to know our preceptors well enough to get great letter of recommendation. Yes there are drawbacks to our preceptors not having had students before, but there are also benefits. In my experiences back home, newer preceptors were more attentive teachers (not saying that's always the cases) that's just 1 positive I saw. It's true there aren't enough spots in Lynchburg for everyone so we have a certain amount of spots here and then there are other locations regionally and nationally that one could choose to go for their 3rd year. So I think it's actually a cool set up.
so there are no plans to offer electives 3rd yr?
personally, I think it would possibly be in LUCOM's best interest to offer additional time to study for boards rather than doing what other schools are doing. It'll set you guys apart from other schools and be a good selling point. It might help offset the popular sdn fear of the consequences of accepting so many "uncompetitive" students as people have been saying;think of it as reassurance to the public and as an 'insurance policy' to ensure success on boards by its students. Should students perform not-so-well, it will prove all of the haters right and they'll pat themselves on the back and be able to say "told ya so"....everything they said about this school was right all along. Now if you prove them wrong...and very wrong...that will be a VERY powerful message to the public and medical community. It will catapult LUCOM into the future as a force to be reckoned with and will garner much needed positive attention. This would put "more" of a guarantee of success and alleviate the stress off your students with the additional time....afterall all of the medical community will be watching them. Maybe this is just naive of me though..afterall i am just a premed

Last edited:
so there are no plans to offer electives 3rd yr?
personally, I think it would possibly be in LUCOM's best interest to offer additional time to study for boards rather than doing what other schools are doing. It'll set you guys apart from other schools and be a good selling point. It might help offset the popular sdn fear of the consequences of accepting so many "uncompetitive" students as people have been saying;think of it as reassurance to the public and as an 'insurance policy' to ensure success on boards by its students. Should students perform not-so-well, it will prove all of the haters right and they'll pat themselves on the back and be able to say "told ya so"....everything they said about this school was right all along. Now if you prove them wrong...and very wrong...that will be a VERY powerful message to the public and medical community. It will catapult LUCOM into the future as a force to be reckoned with and will garner much needed positive attention. This would put "more" of a guarantee of success and alleviate the stress off your students with the additional time....afterall all of the medical community will be watching them. Maybe this is just naive of me though..afterall i am just a premed
@Anthonyweiner : thoughts?

Why don't you stop bringing up this school in various threads o_O
why dont you stop trolling and spreading hate on LUCOM? Do you have a life outside of bashing a school and spreading false rumors? I say this out of concern.

Close one thread, so let's fight on the other. :beat:
lol the only people instigating fights ive noticed are the ones with an unhealthy obsession against LUCOM.

Last edited:
why dont you stop trolling and spreading hate on LUCOM? Do you have a life outside of bashing a school and spreading false rumors? I say this out of concern.

mw61qa.gif

Reactions: 3 users