Liberty University COM (LUCOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody know the post-interview acceptance rate here??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed at LUCOM during this last application cycle and was accepted off of the waitlist, but deferred my spot until next year. The Dean told us they accept around fifty percent of their interviewees and place around twenty-five percent on the waitlist. But that could change as the number of applicants goes up and depending on how many they interview.

Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
II at like 3am via email, only dates left are in September

Sent from my Nexus 5 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw where you got an II, on your secondary did you re enter your volunteer info? It seems redundant to enter it into your AACOMAS app and then again here.

Yes I did! I just assumed if they're asking for it they probably want it to be a bit more obvious, especially since this is a service oriented school.

Yes I did! I just assumed if they're asking for it they probably want it to be a bit more obvious, especially since this is a service oriented school.

Should I just copy/paste from AACOMAS? It's kinda ridiculous to make me type this all out twice

Should I just copy/paste from AACOMAS? It's kinda ridiculous to make me type this all out twice

I basically did so, unless you have something extra you wanted to expound on that you didn't have room for in your secondary. I think they just want to have your volunteer info more prominent, rather than lost in the pages of your primary application

I basically did so, unless you have something extra you wanted to expound on that you didn't have room for in your secondary. I think they just want to have your volunteer info more prominent, rather than lost in the pages of your primary application

I was just not going to fill it out if they wanted me to write entirely unique descriptions specially for their school lol

II scheduled for 8/22! Are there any current students who would be willing to let me stay with them? I am a clean, married, male, however my wife will not be able to travel with me to Virginia (from San Francisco). I would love the opportunity to get to know a current student.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I too heard back and was invited to interview less than a week after I submitted my secondary. In regards to MCAT scores, I scored a 124 in the chemical and physical sciences and 125 in verbal so from what I can tell, that did not hinder my chances for an interview. (I did score 127 on the other two sections with a 3.47 scGPA, 3.40 cGPA). My interview is for September 15th and I will be arriving the day before for anyone interested in meeting up! Feel free to PM me. Best of luck to everyone!

I submitted my primary for LUCOM about 1o days ago and I never received any confirmation or any secondary? What should I do?

I submitted my primary for LUCOM about 1o days ago and I never received any confirmation or any secondary? What should I do?

I checked my email for you, and it was a solid 3 weeks post-primary before I got my confirmation. Secondary a week later.

II just now! So pumped! My first II. Anyone knows if the interview is MMI or traditional? Any tip guys? Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II from here. Not sure if I want to attend after hearing the horrors of this school. Someone convince me.

Just got an II from here. Not sure if I want to attend after hearing the horrors of this school. Someone convince me.
Don't~ It'll raise my chances! :p
But seriously, this place has only been open for a few years. There are already horror stories? lol

Starting from almost day one. I wonder what their Level I pass rate is? This would be the first class taking a crack at COMLEX.

I would love to hear about them if possible. The worst I've heard was that they had some issues with their electronics, but that it's been slowly getting fixed to manageable levels.

I would love to hear about them if possible. The worst I've heard was that they had some issues with their electronics, but that it's been slowly getting fixed to manageable levels.

I've also heard they change parts of the medical school curriculum to fit their Christian agenda.

Does Lucom require a DO letter? I thought since they sent me a secondary they're not requiring a do letter

I'm interviewing next week! Monday. I can let you know how it goes! Will you be accepting your interview invite?

Yeah, I'm going the 15th. This school isn't my first pick, as I want something closer to home. I'm skeptical about it, but maybe this school will surprise me!

Yeah, I'm going the 15th. This school isn't my first pick, as I want something closer to home. I'm skeptical about it, but maybe this school will surprise me!

Well I'll send you a message and let you know how it goes! Something tells me this school this school will be a pleasant surprise for you, especially after talking to current students.

Well I'll send you a message and let you know how it goes! Something tells me this school this school will be a pleasant surprise for you, especially after talking to current students.

I also have an interview for the 15th here. Would you mind messaging me as well? Best of luck!

I have an interview here too, on the 16th. Please message me as well and let me know how it goes. Thank you very much and good luck!

Got an interview invite this morning ! Scheduled it for 9/23 . Good luck to everyone!

I'm interviewing next week! Monday. I can let you know how it goes! Will you be accepting your interview invite?

Hey, I also have an interview here in September. Can you PM me how your interview went?

Hey, I also have an interview here in September. Can you PM me how your interview went?

Yessir. I will not be sharing interview questions, though. I will tell you about faculty and how I felt and everything :)

I have just cancelled my interview for 8/25 as I have been accepted elsewhere. I know it's late to cancel and someone might not be able to snag that spot, but it's potentially one less seat taken nonetheless so someone can potentially become a fantastic physician.

Although people say negative things about the school, I cannot begin to express my gratitude to LUCOM however because it was one of the first schools to offer me an interview. IMHO, every school has its ups and downs, some more downs than others, but if it came down to it, I would have GLADLY attended LUCOM if it was my only acceptance.

Good luck to the rest of you applying this cycle.

Reactions: 3 users
I've also heard they change parts of the medical school curriculum to fit their Christian agenda.

While there are some things about the school that bug me, this simply isn't true. Feel free to PM me as well. Current 2nd year from progressive San Francisco Bay Area.

While there are some things about the school that bug me, this simply isn't true. Feel free to PM me as well. Current 2nd year from progressive San Francisco Bay Area.

I'd love to hear your true opinions of the school, lay it on me

I just want to address a couple things here briefly since I wasn't completely aware of what's being said about my school:

1) while some instructors may believe in creationism at our school (i'm not quite sure which ones honestly), it has not affected my understanding of microbiology or the pathogenesis of disease

2) we don't teach conversion therapy for LQBTQ populations. I've heard a guest lecturer discussed that for the inaugural class but that was quickly addressed. That did not happen for my class and I really don't think that will happen for any future classes. We've been instructed by Dr. Wattleworth (who has since joined the NBOME) to be compassionate and non-judgmental regarding the care of our patients.

3) our curriculum isn't modified in any way to fit some sort of Christian propaganda. it's simply a spiral medical curriculum.

4) just because we are a new school doesn't mean we don't have talented faculty, I suggest anyone interested in this school to check out this link to view the backgrounds of our faculty members
http://www.liberty.edu/lucom/index.cfm?PID=27182#Faculty

5) our OMM program is top-notch and has faculty members highly regarded in the field (Dr Kribs from MSU-COM and Dr. Lockwood from KCOM). Compared to other students I've met on conferences, we are actually ahead when it comes to OMM and I've had current 3rd year students tell me they didn't have to spend much time reviewing the material for COMLEX.

6) Liberty University as a school is known for controversial political issues, but we don't follow them. We are basically independent from the main campus and the only time you will find any of us there is to use the gym or if we have a reception for our own faculty members and colleagues.

6) don't believe everything in past SDN discussions about my school. It made me freak out before I came here and I was happy to find that the school isn't like what people made it out to be. Quite frankly, people who have never been on our campus shouldn't be so quick to judge us.

My biases you ask? I'm a 29 year old Asian/pacific islander liberal/progressive democrat from northern california who moved to rural virginia.

I'm sorry I can't check on here all the time because you know...medical school. But please feel free to PM me if you are that concerned about LUCOM.

Last edited:
Reactions: 18 users
Yessir. I will not be sharing interview questions, though. I will tell you about faculty and how I felt and everything :)

Yes, please share your overview of the school. Also, did you fly in from out of state? where did you stay?

I suppose I should change my user name to "Future Doctor Fish" because I got accepted!!! Got the call from the Dean today!

Reactions: 10 users
Got the call too! Wasn't expecting them to call for another few weeks but I'm not gonna complain.

Reactions: 6 users