liberty medical school <facepalm>

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For all those saying that evolution and Christian belief are mutually exclusive, look into Ken Miller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_R._Miller

There is no reason to say that the validity in evolution would in any way impede on the integrity of God.

Dr. Miller is so dope. Thanks for highlighting this amazing individual.

Members don't see this ad.

For all those saying that evolution and Christian belief are mutually exclusive, look into Ken Miller http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kenneth_R._Miller

There is no reason to say that the validity in evolution would in any way impede on the integrity of God.

Personally I think they are. If we evolved then the notion of original sin becomes more metaphorical than literal.

Evolution and biology says that animals know right and wrong.

Faith says that we were not born with that in the garden.

Etc.

But again, not the point at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I think they are. If we evolved then the notion of original sin becomes more metaphorical than literal.

Evolution and biology says that animals know right and wrong.

Faith says that we were not born with that in the garden.

Etc.

But again, not the point at all.
I've heard a Christian apologist said that god selected from the available animals for some to evolve into present day humans and was at some point involved with them. Don't dismiss the power of excuses to keep believing things that aren't supported by evidence.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard a Christian apologist said that god selected from the available animals for some to evolve into present day humans and was at some point involved with them. Don't dismiss the power of excuses to keep believing things that aren't supported by evidence.

Eh, honestly I don't really care or mind if someone believes in the notion of theistic evolution. Personally I think the most enormous tenet of Christianity comes from original sin's requirement for Jesus to die. But at the same time I've also seen and enjoy commentary by John Spong who does nicely in relating and combining his faith with a more modern and realistic interpretation of things.

So largely in the end if you can accept science and faith, and be good person then I've legitimately got no beef with you and we'll probably be pretty good friends.

But again, I don't think any of this relates to LU however. Falwell is a monster in his own right and his views on Christianity are.. utilitarian.

Reactions: 2 users
The religious aspect of the school is not the concerning part at all. The concerning part is that VA already has 1000 medical schools in it, and with residency shortage why should the AOA be accepting applications for new schools. It makes the AOA look bad. This school will have a lot of adversity surrounding it, even without the religious stuff.

At least when the MD side opens up a new school, they typically have a good and large hospital associated with it. The hospitals for this school are well....... ya

The religious aspect of the school is not the concerning part at all. The concerning part is that VA already has 1000 medical schools in it, and with residency shortage why should the AOA be accepting applications for new schools. It makes the AOA look bad. This school will have a lot of adversity surrounding it, even without the religious stuff.

At least when the MD side opens up a new school, they typically have a good and large hospital associated with it. The hospitals for this school are well....... ya
The AOA doesn't accredit schools. COCA does. COCA is legally required to approve any school that meets their requirements- if a school checks all the boxes, there's nothing COCA can do to step in and stop them, regardless of how many schools there are out there. There *is* hope in the future though, as the most recent standards that COCA put out require that 98% of students find residency placement. If a school doesn't meet this requirement, they have their seats cut or get shut down.

The AOA doesn't accredit schools. COCA does. COCA is legally required to approve any school that meets their requirements- if a school checks all the boxes, there's nothing COCA can do to step in and stop them, regardless of how many schools there are out there. There *is* hope in the future though, as the most recent standards that COCA put out require that 98% of students find residency placement. If a school doesn't meet this requirement, they have their seats cut or get shut down.

Thanks for the clarification! I sure hope that there is some way COCA to be able to evaluate the quality of the school once it gets going, especially on the rotation side of things.

yes there is. raise the standards.

yes there is. raise the standards.
True. I've advocated for this for a while. Personally I'd prefer LCME parity, but that's a hard thing to reach due to the financial requirements (the majority of school funding must come from research grants, state grands, and sources other than student tuition). Regardless, I think they should push forward and try anyway. If DO schools want equality, they should have equal standards in regard to accrediting schools.

Just require schools not to be bat**** insane.

This is an extremely late addition to this comment thread, but to all you liberal, anti-Christian, anti-conservative, anti-morality folks out there, just because Liberty University is a conservative Christian school, does NOT in any way make it unqualified to open a medical school. Like some folks mentioned in this thread, the teaching of evolution in no way has any impact on the teaching and practice of medicine.

It was literally the first chapter in my biology textbook

This is an extremely late addition to this comment thread, but to all you liberal, anti-Christian, anti-conservative, anti-morality folks out there, just because Liberty University is a conservative Christian school, does NOT in any way make it unqualified to open a medical school. Like some folks mentioned in this thread, the teaching of evolution in no way has any impact on the teaching and practice of medicine.

One can be very 'Christian', 'conservative', and 'moral' and understand that creationism has no place being taught as equal to science in higher education.

I find it sadly unsurprising that a DO school is affiliated with Liberty since osteopathy, which is also pseudoscience, is taught as equivalent to the other medical sciences in osteopathic medical schools. Unfortunately this has the effect of reinforcing the perception of intellectual inferiority among our MD colleagues as well as society in general.

Members don't see this ad :)

Why would you possibly bump this 2 yr old thread to say that? You realize you'll just be attracting more attention (primarily negative) to an issue/school that people haven't actively been thinking about at least for some time, right? Hope it was worth it...

Reactions: 1 users
:troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll::troll:

Why would you possibly bump this 2 yr old thread to say that? You realize you'll just be attracting more attention (primarily negative) to an issue/school that people haven't actively been thinking about at least for some time, right? Hope it was worth it...

funny that you highlight "this" because he's bumped multiple old threads on the topic.

Wow, didn't know that SDF was filled with so many obnoxious people. I was just incensed by the fact that Liberty University opens its own medical school, and then a bunch of liberal wing people start attacking it. True, Liberty U is a Christian school, but will it be incorporating religious doctrine into its medical teachings? You folks are only opposing LUCOM because you hate Christianity and conservatism.

And also I don't understand why it is that posters on SDF can't respond to multiple similarly related topics at once. It's like the YouTube and other social media prohibiting free speech. And no, I'm not a troll - don't call me a troll simply because I disagree with you liberals.

funny that you highlight "this" because he's bumped multiple old threads on the topic.
How did you know I've commented on a few threads on this topic? It's not a coincidence because I've noticed many medical students have been trash talking on Liberty U. I don't have the right to respond and rebuke those comments if I find them inaccurate?

One can be very 'Christian', 'conservative', and 'moral' and understand that creationism has no place being taught as equal to science in higher education.

I find it sadly unsurprising that a DO school is affiliated with Liberty since osteopathy, which is also pseudoscience, is taught as equivalent to the other medical sciences in osteopathic medical schools. Unfortunately this has the effect of reinforcing the perception of intellectual inferiority among our MD colleagues as well as society in general.

Saying that the practice of osteopathy is a pseudoscience, that is is inferior to MD allopathy, is an extremely arrogant and narcissistic thing to say.

:corny:

This is going to be good.
I like to bust obnoxious medical students. I think at some point someone outta speak out against this, particularly when they're attacking a conservative Christian school for nothing.

You should just leave this thread be, @Dr Bruce Banner. The people who are talking negatively about LUCOM are not just making things up because this is a newly formed Christian medical school, but way before LUCOM medical school came around, Liberty University was known for their crazy antics and misguided understanding of the sciences. Everyone on here is right in saying that creationism has no place in medical school, and to keep it in the curriculum is to misguide their medical students. Don't pull me into this conversation, because I don't really care to be involved in this never ending topic.

My beef with LUCOM is not merely with the philosophy of its parent body, but at the gross incompetence of how the med school is being run. The massive attrition rate of its inaugural class should give everyone pause. I'll be very interested to see what their COMLEX pass rate will be.

You should just leave this thread be, @Dr Bruce Banner. The people who are talking negatively about LUCOM are not just making things up because this is a newly formed Christian medical school, but way before LUCOM medical school came around, Liberty University was known for their crazy antics and misguided understanding of the sciences. Everyone on here is right in saying that creationism has no place in medical school, and to keep it in the curriculum is to misguide their medical students. Don't pull me into this conversation, because I don't really care to be involved in this never ending topic.

Well you've just revealed yourself that you do indeed have a liberal bias against LU, and that it wasn't just about me bumping old threads. As I mentioned to another SDN user, does LU at all include the teaching of creationism in its medical curriculum? And even if it does, how will it at all impact the teaching and practice of medicine? Will it affect pharmacology? Physiology? Pathology? Face it, you call LU using crazy antics because you're against Christians and their moral thought. Not because of creationism, which is really just a very small part of its teachings. Liberals hate Christians because of the moral, conservative philosophies they espouse, and sadly, our country is heading in a direction in which moral conservative thought is being stamped out and prohibited by liberals like you, and the rest of these posters who're attacking LU. I just thought someone outta come out and defend it.

My beef with LUCOM is not merely with the philosophy of its parent body, but at the gross incompetence of how the med school is being run. The massive attrition rate of its inaugural class should give everyone pause. I'll be very interested to see what their COMLEX pass rate will be.
Well, face it - you're against LUCOM not because of that, but because it's a Christian, conservative university. Liberals are really all too predictable. Yes, I'd be interested to see what their COMLEX passing rate will be, and I don't think it is going to be low at all. Gross incompetence at how it is being run? That statement in itself shows how biased you are. You're not even a student at LU, are you?

Wow, didn't know that SDF was filled with so many obnoxious people. I was just incensed by the fact that Liberty University opens its own medical school, and then a bunch of liberal wing people start attacking it. True, Liberty U is a Christian school, but will it be incorporating religious doctrine into its medical teachings? You folks are only opposing LUCOM because you hate Christianity and conservatism.

And also I don't understand why it is that posters on SDF can't respond to multiple similarly related topics at once. It's like the YouTube and other social media prohibiting free speech. And no, I'm not a troll - don't call me a troll simply because I disagree with you liberals.
You are a troll. It has nothing to do with liberalism. We are all okay with all the other religious schools that teach actual science and not this one because it teaches pseudoscience like creationism. Nice try to play the victim, but to anyone with even marginal intelligence the argument is obvious and you lose.

You are a troll. It has nothing to do with liberalism. We are all okay with all the other religious schools that teach actual science and not this one because it teaches pseudoscience like creationism. Nice try to play the victim, but to anyone with even marginal intelligence the argument is obvious and you lose.
LOL, you call me a troll, but then you use language like, "even marginal intelligence the argument is obvious and you lose." I'm not a troll simply because I'm saying things that are against your liberal position. I admit I am incensed at folks who are singling out LU for attack. And don't say you are attacking LU because they are teaching creationism - it's because LU has been socially and politically active in the spotlight, and you folks hate the conservative and Christian principles it espouses. That's it. And you're trying to discredit this school publicly so they can lose students. Someone needs to defend LU against folks like you, that is why I am arguing on this forum once I noticed it.

Saying that the practice of osteopathy is a pseudoscience, that is is inferior to MD allopathy, is an extremely arrogant and narcissistic thing to say.

And I think you like using big words without knowing what they mean. Osteopathy is pseudoscience and does not deserve to be on the same level as the legitimate sciences. Neither does creationism.

Well you've just revealed yourself that you do indeed have a liberal bias against LU, and that it wasn't just about me bumping old threads. As I mentioned to another SDN user, does LU at all include the teaching of creationism in its medical curriculum? And even if it does, how will it at all impact the teaching and practice of medicine? Will it affect pharmacology? Physiology? Pathology? Face it, you call LU using crazy antics because you're against Christians and their moral thought. Not because of creationism, which is really just a very small part of its teachings. Liberals hate Christians because of the moral, conservative philosophies they espouse, and sadly, our country is heading in a direction in which moral conservative thought is being stamped out and prohibited by liberals like you, and the rest of these posters who're attacking LU. I just thought someone outta come out and defend it.
Listen, every person who has spoken even the slightest bit against LU is considered a "liberal" in your eyes. People are entitled to their own opinions and truth be told everything that we have said on this topic is true. The fact that you are on here attacking other users for their opinions on this university only shows how insecure you are about your university's ability to educate and train physicians. Goro mentioned the attrition rate, those are statistics that cannot be ignored. You ask if creationism will cause conflict with the practice of medicine...YES, IT WILL. creationism is the one obstacle that has blocked the path to a higher level of intellectual thinking in public schools across the nation. IF LU-COM is teaching creationism in their curriculum, then I don't want anything to do with it. Goro is not a student at LU-COM, no, but he/she is a well respected individual on this forum board and serves on the faculty of a medical school as an ADCOM member. So, I would trust what he/she has to say over someone who feels the need to go to cyber war over the opinions of opposing individuals on the internet. Life will go on, bud, just move on.

http://www.fasebj.org/content/28/1_Supplement/719.14

Abstract
Character (qualities that determine one’s response to events regardless of circumstances) determines success and is important because of powerful influences physicians have on patients’ health and well-being. Medical education should endorse good character, e.g. compassion, empathy, discernment, generosity, honor, justice, self-control, truthfulness and virtue. Important for patient care, we designed a curriculum to promote character in future physicians. Curricular examples: Neurophysiology: Pornography addiction can destroy marriages, families and culture. Its addiction is taught to encourage a physician’s compassion and to facilitate physician-patient education of self-control and virtue. Cardiovascular: Prolonged stress, unresolved anger and CRH release with cardiovascular sequelae, lead to major health problems. Attentiveness and sensitivity are taught to recognize and treat stress preventatively, not only in disease. GI/Nutrition: Responsibility and self-control in diet, fitness, and wellness are promoted in students, as good examples for future patients. Anatomical Sciences: Unselfishness and self-control are important in a patient for healthy sexual relationships. Female reproductive tracts allow for pathology (sperm proteins accessing the bloodstream can drag endometrial cells into the Pouch of Douglas) if honor doesn’t restrain intercourse during menstruation.

LUCOM is publishing stuff like this, which is full of opinion and not true evidence. Schools need to be secular not theocratical.

Reactions: 4 users
LOL, you call me a troll, but then you use language like, "even marginal intelligence the argument is obvious and you lose." I'm not a troll simply because I'm saying things that are against your liberal position. I admit I am incensed at folks who are singling out LU for attack. And don't say you are attacking LU because they are teaching creationism - it's because LU has been socially and politically active in the spotlight, and you folks hate the conservative and Christian principles it espouses. That's it. And you're trying to discredit this school publicly so they can lose students. Someone needs to defend LU against folks like you, that is why I am arguing on this forum once I noticed it.

Do you believe a school whose founders were anti-choice, believed that HIV/AIDs and STIs are gods punishment for a sinful nation, and other positions that have directly contributed to human suffering and loss of life is a valid institute to hold a medical school? I don't.

You don't see me complaining about Marian which is a Catholic/Jesuit and religiously inspired school. Likewise you don't see me complaining about Campbell which states that it is driven by Christian belief. You don't even see me complaining about Linda Loma, Gtown, and many others. Why? Because they are inspired institutes and ones who have used the banner of Christ to heal and aid those ill and dying. They have never sullied themselves by turning the dying away or by claiming that they deserve to die. LUCOM's founders did.

No offense dude, but you sound like a complete nutjob.

Reported, and now applying the Ignore function. You'll feel some slight pressure between the eyes. Try not to let it hurt your little brain.

And pay attention to this, because you're completely ignorant of it: Matthew 5:39

Well, face it - you're against LUCOM not because of that, but because it's a Christian, conservative university. Liberals are really all too predictable. Yes, I'd be interested to see what their COMLEX passing rate will be, and I don't think it is going to be low at all. Gross incompetence at how it is being run? That statement in itself shows how biased you are. You're not even a student at LU, are you?

I'd like this thread locked please. There's no point for it to continue and insight non-productive noise.

Well seeing as the stats are somewhere in the ballpark of 24-25 I don't imagine retention nor board pass rate will be good.

Yikes. I wonder what happened. I figured they had the money so they could make a great program, regardless of their religious stuff. Btw, I'm a 3rd year and not once in med school did I ever hear anything about evolution... So although it is probably a good idea not to believe creationism, it's all still personal preference and nobody really gives a crap whatever anyone believes. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Yikes. I wonder what happened. I figured they had the money so they could make a great program, regardless of their religious stuff. Btw, I'm a 3rd year and not once in med school did I ever hear anything about evolution... So although it is probably a good idea not to believe creationism, it's all still personal preference and nobody really gives a crap whatever anyone believes. Lol.

I think it's hard to go through a basic introduction to biochemistry and not get an appreciation for evolution. The system is essentially legos schematics. But that's outside the point. Evolution is a backbone of biology, you don't need to accept it to be a doctor. But when your school has a history of being against things that are important for healthcare and is divisive in the face of minority health problems, then you are not capable of possessing a medical school. The moment Falwell claimed that people in the US deserved to die of the AIDs epidemic is the moment LU invalidated its right to possess a medical school.

I think it's hard to go through a basic introduction to biochemistry and not get an appreciation for evolution. The system is essentially legos schematics. But that's outside the point. Evolution is a backbone of biology, you don't need to accept it to be a doctor. But when your school has a history of being against things that are important for healthcare and is divisive in the face of minority health problems, then you are not capable of possessing a medical school. The moment Falwell claimed that people in the US deserved to die of the AIDs epidemic is the moment LU invalidated its right to possess a medical school.

Another yikes. I wasn't aware of that statement. Yea that's surprisingly stupid

Reported, and now applying the Ignore function. You'll feel some slight pressure between the eyes. Try not to let it hurt your little brain.

And pay attention to this, because you're completely ignorant of it: Matthew 5:39
Fist bump to Goro for the scripture reference

Couple of things here, folks. I'm actually an LU law grad, who also took science courses (Anatomy, Organic Chem, Genetics) at the undergrad. In terms of the science courses, they take an objective approach by teaching you both views. I come from a liberal background (educated at Columbia and Purdue), so I was pleasantly surprised by their objective approach. In fact, they don't force feed you one view or the other. They make it clear that creationism is the Biblical view and evolution is the secular view, but also point out that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive of each other. In the end, they challenge you to think critically and come up with your own personal stance.

In terms of the medical school itself, I see it the same way the law school is setup. Professional schools must abide by standardized metrics governed by the same entity that assesses and monitors all medical schools. This is blind to any partisanship. Whether it is Harvard Med or LU Med, there are certain standards that must be met essential for the training and production of competent physicians. I am not talking about rank, just standards. LU Med has its own quirks, just like Harvard Med or any other medical school does, but all will strictly abide by the generalized standards on relevant matters attributing to the making of a sound physician.

LU Law received the same flack LU Med is receiving right now. Understandably so, but LU Law grads have been very successful and our bar passage rate rivals the best, including UVA. LU Med has yet to graduate its first class, so there will be growing pains stemming from uncertainty, but I feel optimistic about it because LU overall has shown time and time again its dedication to providing an objective and stellar education (i.e. strictly complying to all standardized educational guidelines) while maintaining its commitment to the Christian faith and service to the underserved.

LU is currently led by Jerry Falwell, Jr. who has a distinct approach to guiding LU versus the late Jerry Falwell, Sr. Not that it ever was, but LU is not the Bible thumping, liberal-hating entity that most people misconstrue it to be. Its dedication to serving the underserved and sending its physicians out to the underrepresented areas of our world is what makes it special.

Be open-minded and not so quick to judge. I would also encourage everyone on this thread to speak with more professionalism withholding insults and caustic remarks. We all have our differing ideas and perspectives, but at the end of the day, we're all aspiring physicians who just want to help and better mankind. We should work together, not cut each other down behind the safety of our keyboards.

Last edited:
Couple of things here, folks. I'm actually an LU law grad, who also took science courses (Anatomy, Organic Chem, Genetics) at the undergrad. In terms of the science courses, they take an objective approach by teaching you both views. I come from a liberal background (educated at Columbia and Purdue), so I was pleasantly surprised by their objective approach. In fact, they don't force feed you one view or the other. They make it clear that creationism is the Biblical view and evolution is the secular view, but also point out that they are not necessarily mutually exclusive of each other. In the end, they challenge you to think critically and come up with your own personal stance.

In terms of the medical school itself, I see it the same way the law school is setup. Professional schools must abide by standardized metrics governed by the same entity that assesses and monitors all medical schools. This is blind to any partisanship. Whether it is Harvard Med or LU Med, there are certain standards that must be met essential for the training and production of competent physicians. I am not talking about rank, just standards. LU Med has its own quirks, just like Harvard Med or any other medical school does, but all will strictly abide by the generalized standards on relevant matters attributing to the making of a sound physician.

LU Law received the same flack LU Med is receiving right now. Understandably so, but LU Law grads have been very successful and our bar passage rate rivals the best, including UVA. LU Med has yet to graduate its first class, so there will be growing pains stemming from uncertainty, but I feel optimistic about it because LU overall has shown time and time again its dedication to providing an objective and stellar education (i.e. strictly complying to all standardized educational guidelines) while maintaining its commitment to the Christian faith and service to the underserved.

LU is currently led by Jerry Falwell, Jr. who has a distinct approach to guiding LU versus the late Jerry Falwell, Sr. Not that it ever was, but LU is not the Bible thumping, liberal-hating entity that most people misconstrue it to be. Its dedication to serving the underserved and sending its physicians out to the underrepresented areas of our world is what makes it special.

Be open-minded and not so quick to judge. I would also encourage everyone on this thread to speak with more professionalism withholding insults and caustic remarks. We all have our differing ideas and perspectives, but at the end of the day, we're all aspiring physicians who just want to help and better mankind. We should work together, not cut each other down behind the safety of our keyboards.
Liberty University's Law School is not ranked in the top 144 Law Schools in US News. Only 53% of their grads pass the bar on their first attempt. Only 56% of their grads are employed 10 months after graduation. I certainly hope Liberty's med school has better stats than that. All potential students should be well informed, intelligent consumers. Make sure that the $'s invested in your education pay off upon graduation. This is a financial not religious decision.

PS) I have absolutely nothing against Liberty University. However, my decision to attend would be solely driven by the program's ROI. (Whether it is Law or Medicine or any other graduate program.)

Last edited:
Not that it ever was, but LU is not the Bible thumping, liberal-hating entity that most people misconstrue it to be
I grew up in Lynchburg.

That's some steaming hot bullcrap right there.

"Well informed, intelligent consumers" - says the one stating incorrect/outdated facts? Questionable.

"That's some steaming hot bull crap right there" - very sound reasoning.

I'm not sure all of the gay students that I know personally who were kicked out of the school might disagree that it's not a bible-thumping, liberal-hating entity. Nor the LU College Democrats Club that was denied the ability to exist for a while.

Also, their bookstore doesn't exactly represent a whole wealth of viewpoints.

"Well informed, intelligent consumers" - says the one stating incorrect/outdated facts? Questionable.

What alternate universe do you live in? US News is releasing their new graduate rankings next Tuesday. I'll be sure to update you.

This thread needs to be banished back to the pits of hades where it belongs

I'm not sure all of the gay students that I know personally who were kicked out of the school might disagree that it's not a bible-thumping, liberal-hating entity. Nor the LU College Democrats Club that was denied the ability to exist for a while.

Also, their bookstore doesn't exactly represent a whole wealth of viewpoints.
Did they violate some kind of code in the student handbook? If yes, then they knew what they were getting into when they went there. If no, then they should lawyer up and make phat stacks.

I grew up in Lynchburg.

That's some steaming hot bullcrap right there.

current LUCOM student here, i'll have to agree. LU is definitely bible thumping and ultra conservative in the worst ways possible. luckily we don't have that much interaction with them.