COMLEX LEVEL 2 PE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldButReady

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys Quick Q ~

Is it okay to do parts of the history taking while doing the physical exam, like we do on our regular patients? For e.g., if someone comes in with a sore throat, then rather than asking "any productive cough? any fever? any chills?" all while sitting across from them doing nothing else, is it okay to start asking those questions while examining the patient's throat?

Thanks!!

Members don't see this ad.

I can't imagine you'll get knocked for that but ideally you'll want to ask that before the physical. You have plenty of time on these patients so don't feel like you need to rush and condense it.

Oh that's great to know! That's the one thing I've been worried about is the time constraints, because when my school had us do practice PE's, they would throw in SP's that purposely used up time by throwing us off (i.e., presenting with cough but actually being a bipolar patient in a manic state so that it was harder to get a history).

It seems that you are implying that we will have sufficient time with patients, so that makes me feel better. Thank you!

Oh that's great to know! That's the one thing I've been worried about is the time constraints, because when my school had us do practice PE's, they would throw in SP's that purposely used up time by throwing us off (i.e., presenting with cough but actually being a bipolar patient in a manic state so that it was harder to get a history).

It seems that you are implying that we will have sufficient time with patients, so that makes me feel better. Thank you!
The SPs aren't there to BS you and eat up time. They will give you straight forward answers.