Letters of Rec through a committee and separately?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jenny710

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For my application, would I be able to send another recommendation separate from the letters of recommendation that comes with my committee rec?

Members don't see this ad.

For my application, would I be able to send another recommendation separate from the letters of recommendation that comes with my committee rec?
Will you be able? most likely.

Will it have a weight as much as committee?

I wouldn't add additional letters unless they are very strong or add something different.

Reactions: 1 users
Will you be able? most likely.

Will it have a weight as much as committee?

I wouldn't add additional letters unless they are very strong or add something different.
Okay thanks so much! I wanted to apply to both MD and DO schools, however can only submit 5 letters to my committee. 3 have to be faculty, which only gives me 2 more. One of them I want to be my PI, which then leaves me one left. I know an MD that would write me a stellar recommendation and a DO that would write me a good rec, but I don't think it will be as good as the MD's. I have heard that DO schools like DO recommendations and MD schools don't care as much as long as it's a doctor. So do you think I should just not include the MD letter, and send the DO letter, or include the MD letter in the committee letter and add the DO letter when applying to DO schools?

Thanks so much! I know its long

Okay thanks so much! I wanted to apply to both MD and DO schools, however can only submit 5 letters to my committee. 3 have to be faculty, which only gives me 2 more. One of them I want to be my PI, which then leaves me one left. I know an MD that would write me a stellar recommendation and a DO that would write me a good rec, but I don't think it will be as good as the MD's. I have heard that DO schools like DO recommendations and MD schools don't care as much as long as it's a doctor. So do you think I should just not include the MD letter, and send the DO letter, or include the MD letter in the committee letter and add the DO letter when applying to DO schools?

Thanks so much! I know its long
You can include MD letter and If you apply to DO, you can add DO letter as well.

DO letter could be separate from committee letter for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user