DO Letter of Rec Content

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mellocellofello

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I plan to request a letter of rec from a DO that I shadowed. I only shadowed this individual a couple times, and we do not know each other very well. I imagine this letter will be fairly surface-level and not exceedingly useful to an admissions committee, and I only plan to send it to the DO schools that require a physician LOR. With that being said, what should I ask the physician to include or focus on in the letter? What do schools that require physician LORs expect to see in these letters, assuming the applicant doesn't have a close working relationship with the physician? Is my scenario uncommon, and applicants generally are able to provide LORs from physicians who can speak in-depth about the applicant?

Members don't see this ad.

If students ever ask me to write a LOR, I make it clear I won't accept any parameters for what I include or not include in a letter. If I can't write a nice( strong) letter, I let them know. I know what Adcoms or PDs want to hear about.

Reactions: 1 users