Letters of Rec from a DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDGJD

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
How beneficial is a letter of Rec from a DO for admission? My personal physician is a DO, a UMDNJ grad (which also is my first choice school), and he has offered to write a good rec for me. Of course, I am accepting the kind offer, but I just am curious as to how much weight such letters carry with osteopathic admissions committees. Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Overall in the admissions process...I couldn't say...I'm not on any admissions committees(yet..at least..I would love to when I get the chance)

but..at a couple of my interviews(including the school I am going to this fall- NOVA)...they did refer to the DO letter and compliment me on the comments made and ask me about stuff that the DO(my family physician as well- a CCOM alumnus) wrote in her letter.

I'm pretty sure it plays a decent part in the process as it shows if you've been exposed to a DO in practice and that you have done your research and know about osteopathic medicine.

Good luck!!

Mani
NSUCOM Class of 2007

YES!!! You should have a strong letter of recommendation from a DO. It shows that you have researched and have taken time to learn about osteopathic medicine.

Members don't see this ad :)
How beneficial is a letter of Rec from a DO for admission?

It could mean all the difference!

My DO LOR came from an alumnus of my first choice... and I got accepted!

It just so happened that my interviewer had been the DO's mentor... we spent a third of the interview talking about this particular DO! I'm glad that they had a very positive relationship... if they didn't, the ending to this story may have been very different!:)

Originally posted by RDGJD
How beneficial is a letter of Rec from a DO for admission? My personal physician is a DO, a UMDNJ grad (which also is my first choice school), and he has offered to write a good rec for me. Of course, I am accepting the kind offer, but I just am curious as to how much weight such letters carry with osteopathic admissions committees. Thanks in advance!

Carries about as much weight as a soiled piece of toilet paper.

(If you plan on applying to MD schools, that is. DO schools don't count.)

Originally posted by Squat n Squeeze
Carries about as much weight as a soiled piece of toilet paper.

(If you plan on applying to MD schools, that is. DO schools don't count.)
Go away!

I got apply to 2 DO's schools without a DO letter of rec. I got accepted into both. You do the math.