Letter of Recommendations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yoloyolo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it ok if I get the LORs during my freshman year? I'm planning ahead and want to obtain it early. Will the letters still be valid for graduate school or Au.D programs 4 - 5 years later?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Is it ok if I get the LORs during my freshman year? I'm planning ahead and want to obtain it early. Will the letters still be valid for graduate school or Au.D programs 4 - 5 years later?

Thank you!

i think you're jumping the gun. your letters of rec will be more meaningful if written later in your education. our professors will have more to say, know you better, and you will hopefully be performing at a higher level than you are now.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest choosing a few professors that you want to either
1. do research with
2. will have for multiple classes
3. seem to study an interest in the field you are interested in

Do this and when it comes time to have letters written, the people will know exactly what to write with little work involved on both parties part.

I've had students who had me for one class want letters of rec and I don't do it because I don't know them well enough to write a good letter.

Agree with what everyone else has said. Yes, letters that are that old will be stale for sure. Do you even know which schools you will be applying to? Your professors probably will not want to write the letters this far in advance and will probably tell you as much. I don't think you should ask them, because you will have to tell them who to address them to, and they are going to think it is weird to send them so far in advance.

I definitely agree with all of the above posts. It is important to realize that during your undergraduate years, you can definitely encounter other fields of study that interest you more than audiology. So, asking for letters so far in advance could end up being a waste of time and energy for both you and the professors/researchers. Don't rush to thinking about grad school during your first year! :)