Lesser toe arthrodesis options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ldsrmdude

Podiatrist
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've done a few cases recently using some of the newer options for PIPJ arthrodesis (Smart toe, Pro toe, Hammerlok, etc) and I was wondering what you all thought of them. I can see the theoretical advantages compared to a K-wire such as risk of pin-tract infections, but I personally haven't had very good experiences intra-op and I don't have enough post-op information to adequately judge. I don't plan on using them, but it seems to becoming more and more popular. What are some potential indications for you? And which fixation option do you prefer for PIPJ arthrodesis?

Members don't see this ad.

I've done a few cases recently using some of the newer options for PIPJ arthrodesis (Smart toe, Pro toe, Hammerlok, etc) and I was wondering what you all thought of them. I can see the theoretical advantages compared to a K-wire such as risk of pin-tract infections, but I personally haven't had very good experiences intra-op and I don't have enough post-op information to adequately judge. I don't plan on using them, but it seems to becoming more and more popular. What are some potential indications for you? And which fixation option do you prefer for PIPJ arthrodesis?

They're very expensive (irresponsibly so?) and give dubious improvement over the k-wire. You can remove the risk of pin tract infections by burying the wire.

Attachments

• Hammertoe buried kwire.jpg
    Hammertoe buried kwire.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 84
I've used several different products including, but not limited to the BME Hammerlock, Smart Toe, Integra IPON, etc., and haven't been impressed. I agree with NaTCH that I'm not sure there is any benefit other than boosting our egos and costing the insurance a lot more money.

I've used several different products including, but not limited to the BME Hammerlock, Smart Toe, Integra IPON, etc., and haven't been impressed. I agree with NaTCH that I'm not sure there is any benefit other than boosting our egos and costing the insurance a lot more money.
Agree also.