Nail Nipper Sharpening Options

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podvam

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on nipper sharpening? Tried to contact some local blade sharpening places but no one really does it and Integra wants 40$+ per nipper. Does anyone sharpen these at home? Was just wondering how you do it and what tools I need to buy?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I don’t waste time or money with sharpening. I use these and put them in the garbage once they become dull, start smelling funny, or start growing mushrooms on them.

Sincerely,

Must E. Stache, Donkter of Podiometric Mendicine

Was just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on nipper sharpening? Tried to contact some local blade sharpening places but no one really does it and Integra wants 40$+ per nipper. Does anyone sharpen these at home? Was just wondering how you do it and what tools I need to buy?
Buy new ones.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll give you a funner question.

(1) A nail nipper is used for debriding nails, removing initial overlying callus/ulceration material.

(a) Its ok to just have 1 pair of nail nippers in each room and your nurse wipes it down with whatever you've got between patients.
(b) Again, 1 pair of nail nippers but it gets autoclaved at the end of the day
(c) Again, 1 pair of nail nippers and it sits in cold solution over night
(d) a new sterile pair of nippers should be brought to the room for every patient.

(2) What is the basis for your answer to the above question

(a) my own judgement about what is appropriate for patients.
(b) some sort of expert opinion offered by a podiatrist, the internet, old APMA guidance etc
(c) recent APMA/CDC guidance

(3) #15 blades are

(a) reuseable until I'm ready to toss them
(b) dirty, comtaminated, and hella dull and should be thrown away after every patient.

@ExperiencedDPM

This company will sharpen nippers for $20 each if the instrument is not from Bianco Brothers and $15 each if it was produced by their company. I can't comment on the results because I have not used the service.

Wrong thread

I'll give you a funner question.

(1) A nail nipper is used for debriding nails, removing initial overlying callus/ulceration material.

(a) Its ok to just have 1 pair of nail nippers in each room and your nurse wipes it down with whatever you've got between patients.
(b) Again, 1 pair of nail nippers but it gets autoclaved at the end of the day
(c) Again, 1 pair of nail nippers and it sits in cold solution over night
(d) a new sterile pair of nippers should be brought to the room for every patient.

(2) What is the basis for your answer to the above question

(a) my own judgement about what is appropriate for patients.
(b) some sort of expert opinion offered by a podiatrist, the internet, old APMA guidance etc
(c) recent APMA/CDC guidance

(3) #15 blades are

(a) reuseable until I'm ready to toss them
(b) dirty, comtaminated, and hella dull and should be thrown away after every patient.

@ExperiencedDPM
1.) 1 pair of nippers each room, rinse and place in cold sterile solution between patients...do this until the nail nippers get stolen, broken, or dull. Then buy new ones.

2.)my own judgement/training/common sense (also, patients are watching--we are supposed to be cleaner than any nail salon)

3.) uh, definitely b. Please don't re-use #15 blades unless you're in a 3rd world country...or there's a legitimate shortage of #15 blades in this country.