Lesser common hospitalist schedules like 1 week on, 2 weeks off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tensegrity

Reaction score
My understanding is that 7 on / 7 off is fairly standard in the hospitalist world. How common are different arrangements? Locums included.

I’m a 3rd year medical student, considering different specialties, and interested in more flexibility especially as a new attending.

Members don't see this ad.

I work in a very large hospitalist group and almost all of us are not 7 on/7 off. We have one provider who does the schedule for us so we have to make sacrificial offerings to her every month lol.

Pretty much the only way you can do 1 week off and 2 weeks off is if you are part time probably since there could be months then that you are working only 1 week (if the schedule is based on 4 week blocks) We have several people who are part time so they will work the required number of 9 shifts for part time at one time and then have the rest of the month off

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that 7 on / 7 off is fairly standard in the hospitalist world. How common are different arrangements? Locums included.

I’m a 3rd year medical student, considering different specialties, and interested in more flexibility especially as a new attending.
There may be schedules where you work the same number of shifts but on a different number of days; for example 5 on/5 off. 7on 14 off would be likely considered part time at most places for day shifts, though may be full-time for night shifts. There are places that do 8, 9, or 10 hr shifts, but these will expect you to work more days than doing standard 12-hour shifts.

If you want flexibility you can do locums or PRN only and make somewhat more per hour than full time and work only on the days you want. Of course the problem will be that you won't be guaranteed any minimum number of shifts, and availability of shifts can be hard to come by and depends largely on staffing needs (eg covering when someone is out on maternity leave or sick, or if there is a lot of turnover and waiting for new physicians to be credentialed). This may only be ideal if you have significant source of non-clinical work and non-clinical income as well.

Reactions: 1 user
shiiiiiit i would do that in a heart beat lol
Not sure if they still do, but the VA here used to have nocturnist gigs that were FT at 10 nights in 4 weeks. You could schedule it however you wanted, but most people did 10 straight and took the rest of the month off.

7on/off is still widely the standard for daytime hopsitalists. Other arrangements exist, but are much less common.

Nocturnists generally benefit from both lower shift commitment, higher pay, and increased flexibility. My contract is 10 nights a month equals 1 FTE. I get to schedule it any way I'd like as long as I work one weekend a month.

Locums or per diem trade ultimate flexibility for least loyalty. You work exactly when and where you'd like, in return for receiving no benefits and your shifts can be canceled with a 30 day notice.

I think it will be easier to find 1 wk on and 3 wks off.

7on/off is still widely the standard for daytime hopsitalists. Other arrangements exist, but are much less common.

Nocturnists generally benefit from both lower shift commitment, higher pay, and increased flexibility. My contract is 10 nights a month equals 1 FTE. I get to schedule it any way I'd like as long as I work one weekend a month.

Locums or per diem trade ultimate flexibility for least loyalty. You work exactly when and where you'd like, in return for receiving no benefits and your shifts can be canceled with a 30 day notice.
i am a exclusive noc too. which area do u work? how many admits per shift? do u need solo icu or do procedures? just curious

i am a exclusive noc too. which area do u work? how many admits per shift? do u need solo icu or do procedures? just curious
Geographically? Northeast. Generally 6-8 admits. Closed icu, no procedures.

CCF had 10 nocturnist shifts a month as full time, 14 hour shifts