Leniency of DO LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ar29

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I searched the forums and couldn't find anything pertaining to me.

I'm looking into going to a DO program in the USA. I am a Canadian but spent all 4 year of UG at usa institutions. For many DO schools they say that a LOR from a DO is required. Is there any chance I would get leniency if I explained to them that DO do not exist in Canada? Would they possibly accept a lor from an M.D.?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I searched the forums and couldn't find anything pertaining to me.

I'm looking into going to a DO program in the USA. I am a Canadian but spent all 4 year of UG at usa institutions. For many DO schools they say that a LOR from a DO is required. Is there any chance I would get leniency if I explained to them that DO do not exist in Canada? Would they possibly accept a lor from an M.D.?
Actually only a handful of schools strictly require a DO LOR. Most of the schools will require a physician LOR (not specifically DO), it can be MD or DO, but then they also say DOs are preferred. That means you can still use a MD LOR. The problem will be trying to explain in your secondaries or even in the interviews your experience with osteopathic medicine and why you want to go that path. It could be quite challenging if you haven't shadowed a DO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

Youll be fine with an MD. Get a DO if you can, though. And use a good MD letter over a bad DO one.