Length of time to get a DEA number?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doctor Bagel

so cheap and juicy
Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied for my own DEA number last week in hopes of starting moonlighting soon and was just wondering how long it has been taking people to get it processed. Two of my fellow residents said they got theirs within ~2 weeks, which now seems a little too good to be true. Any other recent experiences? I've heard of some people in the past waiting months. About me -- full medical license, no criminal history but a pretty common name, which I guess could cause some backlog.

Members don't see this ad.

I applied for my own DEA number last week in hopes of starting moonlighting soon and was just wondering how long it has been taking people to get it processed. Two of my fellow residents said they got theirs within ~2 weeks, which now seems a little too good to be true. Any other recent experiences? I've heard of some people in the past waiting months. About me -- full medical license, no criminal history but a pretty common name, which I guess could cause some backlog.

When I applied for mine last year, it took about a month.

applied last week of october of this year and got it the first week of november, almost 2 weeks. It probably depends on when you apply during the year.

I thought it took at least several weeks, but I'm not positive. I got it last year in September.

Are you talking about strictly the DEA number? Or the combined DEA/state narcotic license?

There's some confusion over this because in most states you have to get a state control number before you can even apply for DEA. Some states process quick, but several are ridiculously slow.

Texas for example has a 6-8 week waiting period to get a state control number. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about strictly the DEA number? Or the combined DEA/state narcotic license?

There's some confusion over this because in most states you have to get a state control number before you can even apply for DEA. Some states process quick, but several are ridiculously slow.

Texas for example has a 6-8 week waiting period to get a state control number. :rolleyes:

Just the DEA number. My state doesn't have a separate number. I wonder if that's the difference in processing time.

TX is the only one I've come across that has a DPS number before you get the DEA number. Most other don't have that requirement. An yes, TX is super slow.

NV you have to get a pharmacy license along with the DEA to practice there.

Usually DEA takes a few weeks and is relatively quick.

Its my first time applying for a DEA, I am licensed in one state, but live in other. DEA rejected my application because I don't have a business address in the state where I am licensed. Any way to get around this? Can I simply rent an apartment for a while in that state for the purposes of application?

I am looking to work in the VA, so they will take any DEA, not state-specific.

Its my first time applying for a DEA, I am licensed in one state, but live in other. DEA rejected my application because I don't have a business address in the state where I am licensed. Any way to get around this? Can I simply rent an apartment for a while in that state for the purposes of application?

I didn't realize the DEA was state specific.

I didn't realize the DEA was state specific.
Its federally issued, but if you practice in more than one state, the following is DEA policy:

Please be aware that practitioners who wish to administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances in multiple states have the following options regarding a DEA registration:

1. Practitioners will need to obtain a separate DEA registration in each state where they plan to administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances.
  2. If the practitioners will be working solely in a hospital/clinic setting, they may use the hospital's DEA registration instead of registering independently with DEA if the hospital agrees and the situation warrants. 21 C.F.R. § 1301.22(c).
  3. Alternately, under 21 C.F.R. § 1301.51, practitioners may transfer their existing DEA registration from one state to another as needed by contacting DEA's Registration and Program Support Section at 1-800-882-9539 or request the change online at www.DEAdiversion.usdoj.gov. DEA will investigate each modification of registration as if it was a new application. DEA will issue a new DEA certificate with the appropriate changes if DEA approves the modification.
  4. DEA has provided a limited exception to this requirement in that practitioners who register at one location in a state, but practice at other locations within the same state, are not required to register with DEA at any other location in that state at which they only prescribe controlled substances. 21 CFR § 1301.12(b)(3).
The DEA needs a practice location.

Your practice location is your residency program.

Reactions: 1 user
Its federally issued, but if you practice in more than one state, the following is DEA policy:

Please be aware that practitioners who wish to administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances in multiple states have the following options regarding a DEA registration:

1. Practitioners will need to obtain a separate DEA registration in each state where they plan to administer, dispense, or prescribe controlled substances.
  2. If the practitioners will be working solely in a hospital/clinic setting, they may use the hospital's DEA registration instead of registering independently with DEA if the hospital agrees and the situation warrants. 21 C.F.R. § 1301.22(c).
  3. Alternately, under 21 C.F.R. § 1301.51, practitioners may transfer their existing DEA registration from one state to another as needed by contacting DEA's Registration and Program Support Section at 1-800-882-9539 or request the change online at www.DEAdiversion.usdoj.gov. DEA will investigate each modification of registration as if it was a new application. DEA will issue a new DEA certificate with the appropriate changes if DEA approves the modification.
  4. DEA has provided a limited exception to this requirement in that practitioners who register at one location in a state, but practice at other locations within the same state, are not required to register with DEA at any other location in that state at which they only prescribe controlled substances. 21 CFR § 1301.12(b)(3).
The DEA needs a practice location.

Good to know. Thanks for the clarification.

Where you live is not your business address. Presumably you are working somewhere in the state you have a license in which is what you would put down for your DEA application.

Reactions: 1 user