Leicester Interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlformiga1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been lucky enough to get an interview at U of Leicester, but I don't think my chances are all that great (considering they interview 1300 for about 175 spots). I am also crazy enough to actually buy a plane ticket and go there for the 20 min interview. Anyway, I was hoping for some advice on how to prepare for this interview. Has anyone interviewed at Leicester? At any of the other UK schools? Thanks in advance for any help.

Members don't see this ad.

The interviews at Leicester Medical School are usually easy going and the idea is to get to know you, why you chose to apply for medicine, why Leicester? etc. They do not ask any in-depth questions to assess your academic ability as your qualifications to date have assured them you are academically able (if they didn't think you were you would not be called for interview). The interview panel consists of a lecturer or clinician and a final year student. They both have an equal say in what interview score you get. You are scored on communication skills, suitability for a career in medicine and enthusiasm for medicine. There are no set questions and much of it is based on your Personal Statement. Final selection is made by a panel based on your interview scores. The only preparation is to know what you wrote in your statement and have some idea of what you will say about obvious questions such as "why did you choose to apply to Leicester? the UK?". Try not to regurgitate prepared answers though- a conversational approach goes down much better. Appear keen, out-going, enthusiastic, no matter how nervous you may be inside.

Where are you from? We have 13 places a year for international students but I have no idea how many international applicants are interviewed. They do give more offers than places as not everyone accepts (they may choose to study elsewhere). Good luck. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.

Thanks a lot Kev. I may pm you with some questions over the next few days, is that OK?

Kev (UK) said:
The interviews at Leicester Medical School are usually easy going and the idea is to get to know you, why you chose to apply for medicine, why Leicester? etc. They do not ask any in-depth questions to assess your academic ability as your qualifications to date have assured them you are academically able (if they didn't think you were you would not be called for interview). The interview panel consists of a lecturer or clinician and a final year student. They both have an equal say in what interview score you get. You are scored on communication skills, suitability for a career in medicine and enthusiasm for medicine. There are no set questions and much of it is based on your Personal Statement. Final selection is made by a panel based on your interview scores. The only preparation is to know what you wrote in your statement and have some idea of what you will say about obvious questions such as "why did you choose to apply to Leicester? the UK?". Try not to regurgitate prepared answers though- a conversational approach goes down much better. Appear keen, out-going, enthusiastic, no matter how nervous you may be inside.

Where are you from? We have 13 places a year for international students but I have no idea how many international applicants are interviewed. They do give more offers than places as not everyone accepts (they may choose to study elsewhere). Good luck. If you have any specific questions feel free to message me.