UCD or Leicester?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dlformiga1

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, the long road to getting a medical school acceptance is now over. While this is the first I apply, I've been working on my grades, extracurriculars, etc.. for a long time. I thank all on this board for all of the help.

Now onto my question: I have been accepted to UCD in Ireland and U of Leicester in the UK. At this point I'm leaning toward Leicester because the curriculum seems a bit more organized, established. Also, Leicester seems to have a fairly good reputation, especially in research, which is something that I would like to be involved in. Having said all that, I'm not quite ready to discard the UCD idea. Anyone have any opinions on this? Which would you choose and why? Thanks, as usual.

Members don't see this ad.

A lot of people are waiting for UCD...it would be nice if you drop UCD :)

Arb said:
A lot of people are waiting for UCD...it would be nice if you drop UCD :)

Arb, I like your attitude......I'm waiting!

Members don't see this ad :)
Univ. of Leicester. Every day and three or four times on Sunday.

Congratulations. Do you want to post your Stats/CV? I know Leicester is the most progressive of all the UK medical schools and looks at the whole application (eg: lots of nurses and physios accepted w/o the same academic record they'd need in other UK schools - a great idea in my opinion*) rather than just numbers. I'm sure your story would be interesting to many on SDN considering the UK for their training.

Again, Congratulations,

W4G.

(* as long as they have academic ability to complete the course.)

dlformiga1 said:
So, the long road to getting a medical school acceptance is now over. While this is the first I apply, I've been working on my grades, extracurriculars, etc.. for a long time. I thank all on this board for all of the help.

Now onto my question: I have been accepted to UCD in Ireland and U of Leicester in the UK. At this point I'm leaning toward Leicester because the curriculum seems a bit more organized, established. Also, Leicester seems to have a fairly good reputation, especially in research, which is something that I would like to be involved in. Having said all that, I'm not quite ready to discard the UCD idea. Anyone have any opinions on this? Which would you choose and why? Thanks, as usual.

Unless it's the 4 year course at Leicester University, I strongly urge you to consider UCD. I don't say this lightly, as I'm usually one of the first here to recommend British schools over Irish ones. Some points:

Yes, the Leicester curriculum is certainly more established. UCD only switched to systems based learning in the early years of this decade.

UCD does have a decent reputation for research - look at the work done in the Conway Institute.

How to put this politely... Leicester is a bit of a dive. Not a city I'd like to spend several years in. Dublin, despite its many faults, can be good craic at times.

Hope this helps.

Congratulations on your offers.

In answer to your question: Leicester. I may be biased being as I am a student there but I do like the course. The medical school is very friendly and forward thinking as W4G states. I am one of those non-traditional students that they are keen to recruit (and I hope I have the academic ability to boot!! All graduate entry students require a first or upper second in their first degrees). Sure Leicester is not a major metroplois but Dublin is expensive and Leicester is a great student city. It is also central so has great access to all parts of the UK. London is just over an hour away by train.

You state research is a major consideration and Leicester has an outstanding Genetics Department as well as many other leading research departments, though as an undergraduate medical student I doubt you will have much exposure to the research departments either here or in any other medical school unless you choose to do an intercalated BSc). Leicester also do a MBChB/ PhD programme for the very academically minded. This may be of interest to you.

Whilst you need to choose a city you will be happy to live in for 5 years, the course has to be one that suits your learning style. No point having the Dublin craic if you don't like the curriculum.

If you have any Leicester specific questions, feel free to ask.

Just to confirm the strength of the Genetics department - Sir Alec Jeffreys there is the guy who invented DNA fingerprinting. World class.

Oh course if you'd prefer to go to medical school that will give you better pubs than labs.... :laugh: (I'm so joking...)

Leicester isn't Malibu. It isn't even London. But it is a great medical school in an area that has plenty to do and is close enough to anything you could ever want (London in an hour).

I'm sure you'd have a great education at UCD but if you do have a chance to go to the UK/Leicester then grab it with both hands!

Congratulations on your offers.

In answer to your question: Leicester. I may be biased being as I am a student there but I do like the course. The medical school is very friendly and forward thinking as W4G states. I am one of those non-traditional students that they are keen to recruit (and I hope I have the academic ability to boot!! All graduate entry students require a first or upper second in their first degrees). Sure Leicester is not a major metroplois but Dublin is expensive and Leicester is a great student city. It is also central so has great access to all parts of the UK. London is just over an hour away by train.

You state research is a major consideration and Leicester has an outstanding Genetics Department as well as many other leading research departments, though as an undergraduate medical student I doubt you will have much exposure to the research departments either here or in any other medical school unless you choose to do an intercalated BSc). Leicester also do a MBChB/ PhD programme for the very academically minded. This may be of interest to you.

Whilst you need to choose a city you will be happy to live in for 5 years, the course has to be one that suits your learning style. No point having the Dublin craic if you don't like the curriculum.

If you have any Leicester specific questions, feel free to ask.

Hello Kev.

Hello,

I am interested in pursing a career in medicine at the Leicester medical school. I have completed my undergraduate degree in biology at the universtiy in the united states, and was interested in applying to the Leicester medical program running 5 years instead of 4 since I dont have a good MCAT but my high school marks are ok. I was wondering what the requirements are for americans applying to the medical school, Please let me know.

Hello Kev.

Hello,

I am interested in pursing a career in medicine at the Leicester medical school. I have completed my undergraduate degree in biology at the universtiy in the united states, and was interested in applying to the Leicester medical program running 5 years instead of 4 since I dont have a good MCAT but my high school marks are ok. I was wondering what the requirements are for americans applying to the medical school, Please let me know.
An undergraduate degree with a reasonable GPA is required. You will also need to take the UKCAT - the entrance exam used by this school - http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/home/ . The MCAT is not taken into consideration.

Hi, are there anymore schools like this one in the uk, which have 4 year programs and that are more receptive to say nurses, etc. As well as receptive to international students (i'm from canada) thanks so much

Keep in mind that Leicester's UKCAT requirement (and, in fact, the UCKAT itself) are relatively new phenomena. It's right there on their website.

I just ask because glasgow's admission requirements for Americans and Canadians says nothing about UKCAT, while other requirements do mention it or another form of test. I took this as meaning that UKCAT is not required. Does that sound about right? Any other schools like this?

I just ask because glasgow's admission requirements for Americans and Canadians says nothing about UKCAT, while other requirements do mention it or another form of test. I took this as meaning that UKCAT is not required. Does that sound about right? Any other schools like this?
Check out the link on the UKCAT site under FAQ. It states that the UKCAT is required by internationals if the school asks for it. Glasgow asks for it.
http://www.ukcat.ac.uk/home/faqs/eq/#Answer199121

Does anyone her know which program is more receptive to US students.

Liecester Vs. Birmingham Vs. Notthingham?