This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ExCarribeanStudent

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I have recently left a Caribbean school, I was part of it for about 1 and a half years when I realized I hated the Caribbean route and the school also had issues with the government so it wasn't doing too well. My grades were good in my classes, but those credits won't count for me here in college. I left to go to the Caribbeans half-way through my Sophomore semester in University. I did well in my Bio 1 lecture and lab but did bad in my Chemistry 1 general class and my Organic Chemistry 1 class. I am preparing myself to go back to University and retake these courses.

Being in a medical school make me realize that I do love and have a passion for medicine, but if I want to pursue my dream of being a doctor, I will do it the right way, going through the American route. So, I am 20 and will be finishing up my last semester as a Sophomore in college and entering my upper class man years. I am hoping my past experiences can help me in the future, I definitely learned my lesson about studying hard and I am very driven to do well this time around, but I am also scared of if my past will haunt me in future applications or interviews. I want to finish up undergrad career by 24, and am hoping to get my GPA back in a good place and I have started preparing for the MCAT. What are your thoughts about this process I am going through? Do you think it is a wise decision to still aim for medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

were you in Med school or in pre-med program?

Because courses you mention are in Pre-med program not actual medical curriculum.
I took medical courses for the time I was at the med school and of course took premed courses for my college undergrad career

Do you have a college degree? Were you doing undergrad in the Caribbean? Are you doing undergrad now? Or were you bypassing undergrad and heading directly to medical school? I’m really sorry but your post makes no sense to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have a college degree? Were you doing undergrad in the Caribbean? Are you doing undergrad now? Or were you bypassing undergrad and heading directly to medical school? I’m really sorry but your post makes no sense to me.
Sorry about not being clear, no I do not have an undergrad degree, yes I'm in undergrad now, I bypassed undergrad and went directly to medical school before and realized I didn't like the Caribbean route so now I am back at college finishing up my BS degree, (I had started it and left my second year of college) and I will be applying to medical school after.

Sorry about not being clear, no I do not have an undergrad degree, yes I'm in undergrad now, I bypassed undergrad and went directly to medical school before and realized I didn't like the Caribbean route so now I am back at college finishing up my BS degree, (I had started it and left my second year of college) and I will be applying to medical school after.
I might be wrong, but bypassing undergrad is not possible.

"Medical School" you are talking about was probably 5-6 years long similar to like BS/M.D. program where you actually complete your BS curriculum at the beginning.

In our words, you were doing undergrad and not medical school.

Can you share you courses for the first 2 years?

Reactions: 1 user
You have to get undergrad degree here in the US first. Bring your GPA up, take MCAT.

Thanks for explaining. Anything is possible. I wouldn’t start prepping for the MCAT. You are many years away from taking it. Work hard. Get your GPA as high as you can. Work on your ECs. They are important. Let us know when you have an MCAT score and are ready to apply. People will be glad to help you out at that time. Things are constantly changing so specific advice now might be totally outdated.

Reactions: 1 users
I might be wrong, but bypassing undergrad is not possible.

"Medical School" you are talking about was probably 5-6 years long similar to like BS/M.D. program where you actually complete your BS curriculum at the beginning.

In our words, you were doing undergrad and not medical school.

Can you share you courses for the first 2 years?
I was in a 5 year program, since I completed a lot of my sciences in college, but after I was done with a year of premed I went on to MD and did a year of med school, the whole school was janky and our premed was not really premed, rather we started basic MD classes anyways, I don't have the transcript

Thanks for explaining. Anything is possible. I wouldn’t start prepping for the MCAT. You are many years away from taking it. Work hard. Get your GPA as high as you can. Work on your ECs. They are important. Let us know when you have an MCAT score and are ready to apply. People will be glad to help you out at that time. Things are constantly changing so specific advice now might be totally outdated.
Will do! Thank you