LECOM Seton Hill Discussion Thread 2012-2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Don't be nervous, interviewed today and loved it. This was my second interview, you won't know if it's group or individual until you get there; mine was a group of 8 applicants. My recommendation, participate, but don't be over-bearing. Wer had two interviewers who asked the same question to two people at a time and some everyone answered. Look at the 9 most common questions on the survey from sdn. Some of these ee definitely asked a well as ethical questions. There is no wrong answer to these, they just want to hear the discussion. This lasts for an hour and a half and be prepared to walk! Also the students addressed a lot of concerns I had about this program. This is definitely a unique way to learn and you'll get a taste when you all participate as a group in a pbl discussion; you will have a case and the head of pbl will help guide you on how it works. I loved this, but I also have a ton of health care experience -- the fun thing that happened was I slowed myself down a bit and took time to explain things that some people didn't know. This really reinforced my knowledge because I was also teaching it to someone else. So, essentially, I'm sold and will go here if I get in. just relax, the only prep I did was read up on some issues with healthcare, go over you're answers to the 9 q's (top of page 10 of this thread) and you'll be fine....good luck!

Sent from my SCH-I510 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Erie on Feb 28th as was just accepted to Seton Hill PBL!! Since I interviewed at Erie I really don't know anything about Seton Hill or the area. Could any current students or people of interviewed there talk about their experience. I am trying to decide whether to commit to Seton Hill or be placed on the wait-list at Erie. I'm not sure I'd actually risk turning down an acceptance to be placed on a wait-list. I'm just apprehensive about Seton Hill since its so new and I know nothing about the area. Any info would be much appreciated.

Agreed. I'm excited about PBL as well, but I'm apprehensive about going to a relatively new school. I heard lectures for anatomy/histo are mostly video'd in from Erie-is this still the case? Also, there a few research opportunities at Erie, are Seton Hill students able to take part over the MS1 summer? If you currently go here, feel free to PM me with any thoughts/information you might have.:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. I'm excited about PBL as well, but I'm apprehensive about going to a relatively new school. I heard lectures for anatomy/histo are mostly video'd in from Erie-is this still the case? Also, there a few research opportunities at Erie, are Seton Hill students able to take part over the MS1 summer? If you currently go here, feel free to PM me with any thoughts/information you might have.:thumbup:

There have been drastic changes to this campus's curriculum that have taken place during each year of its existence. During my OMSI year, we had Embryo classes taught to us via video conferencing in Erie and Histo classes taught to us by the faculty members here. The Embryo course was pretty solid, although the Histo course left much to be desired, as it felt more like a cell biology class than a true Histo course. It was about 5 weeks long and covered the barest of basics. For instance, we were rarely asked to ID cells on exams and we definitely did not have microscopes and labs. On the other hand, Anatomy was structured heavily in the PBL manner, where you are required to do your assigned reading, get together in your groups and "discuss." We didn't have cadavers, so we were told to use a DVD (A&P Revealed) to fulfill our lab component.

The following year, Histo seemed to have been revamped to incorporate more systems based learning and it went for a full 10 weeks. I'm not sure how they will change things around for the incoming class. Anatomy seemed to have been structured the same way, with a few exceptions. First, the mandatory "forums" which are quizzes and Q&A, are now run by the faculty at Seton Hill. The tests, however, still come from Erie although the faculty from Erie no longer make the drive down to go over concepts with students - it becomes much more of a guessing game to figure out what Erie will test you on. Don't be surprised if the first exam is a big shock. One thing that Seton Hill does provide are tutors, though. These are typically students who have gotten A's in the courses and are paid to teach you at no cost to yourself.

As far as research is concerned, I'm not sure if Seton Hill has access to the same research labs as students in Erie. Honestly, it's pretty costly to move up to Erie for a few months to do some lab work. Unfortunately, there are NO active lab facilities at Seton Hill and any faculty members who are doing research are doing it outside of campus. You may want to contact your advisor if/when you come here to see what your options are.