LECOM - Seton Hill Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turkelton

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know when apps are available on AACOMAS for the new LECOM branch at Seton Hill Univ.? Supposedly students will be attending there for C/O of 2013, but the only info I've read about it is from the Erie newspaper article, as well as from people here on SDN. I've come across nothing on either LECOM's or AACOMAS website about the new branch campus. Anyways do you think it will be similar to the new campuses of last years application cycle (i.e. RVUCOM and PNWUCOM) where these two schools were added to AACOMAS around September? Or is this school just an idea in the works for the moment, and maybe the class of 2014 will be its an inaugral class?

Members don't see this ad.

We were told that they would start their first class fall 2009 and that they will be modeled after LECOM-B so all PBL! They will probably not be an option on AACOMAS until everything is finalized, so like last year's new schools, they will be accepting applications later than normal.

Hmmm, I just looked on the LECOM website and it says that Erie will be expanding their class by 104 students who will attend class at the Seton Hill location, so maybe this is just going to be an extension of the Erie campus? This dosn't sound right, but I'm not there, so maybe someone closer can clear it up!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would check with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine website to see the most up to date information. Not that Kate is starting any rumors, but I think she understands when I say that SDN can "contain garbage" ;)

Love ya Kate!

I would check with the Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine website to see the most up to date information. Not that Kate is starting any rumors, but I think she understands when I say that SDN can "contain garbage" ;)

Love ya Kate!

I know what youre saying. I'm only reiterating what we were told and what was on the LECOM website... which is not much. I don't want to be a garbage man!

But, yes it is in your best interest to get your info from the horses mouth. Just call LECOM-Erie and ask them for more details, i.e. if you apply to Erie do you get to choose if you go to Seton Hill or will Seton Hill have their own application? That's what I'd do. Or, just come to Bradenton! That's the best option!

If it truely is going to be a new campus with a separate admissions, then AACOMAS will notify you via e-mail when they are added, which might not be until the Fall. This was the case last year with SOMA, Touro-NY and DCOM.

Thanks for the responses, I will give LECOM-Erie a call. I am applying to both LECOM campuses so just wanted to see what the options were with it all!

Anyone heard anything about how to apply? Or, is anyone else interested in attending?

Can anyone enlighten us as to why this school would be a good choice or a bad one?

Anyone heard anything about how to apply? Or, is anyone else interested in attending?

Can anyone enlighten us as to why this school would be a good choice or a bad one?

From what I understand, it is going to be an extension of the LECOM - Erie campus, so for now you need to apply to Erie. You can contact them directly for more information.

if you applied to the main campus in erie, then during the interview they will give you a choice of one of the four pathways (ldp, pbl, isp, or pcsp) and the choice to pursue the new seton hill branch, which will be pbl. towards the end of the interview day they will tell you to rank these choices from 1-5 (1 being your most desired pathway and 5 being the one you're least interested in). this is what happened on my interview this past friday, and dr. moore said it will be the procedure taken from now on in the other interviews.

Is LECOM SETON-HILL a new school ?? I saw someone got accepted to. Can anyone give me details on this new school? Thanks

I just visited the school (well, Seton Hill, not the LECOM medical college)this week since I was in Pittsburgh and was curious...

The school is about 30 miles outside of Pittsburgh. It took more like 40-45 mins to get to the school from downtown since I was in the middle of rush hour traffic. The school is in Greensburgh, PA, which seems quaint, but definitely has an Appalachia feel to it. Greensburgh is not a bustling college town, it seemed economically depressed in some areas, but has a decent downtown area and some commerical streets with fast foods and such. To be honest, the drive from Pittsburgh to the college did not include any areas that I would want to live in.

The college itself is gorgeous. It was founded (and probably still run by) Catholic nuns. It is, appropriately, on a giant hill. Definitely a smaller college, but seemed nice.

LECOM is currently admitting students to Seton Hill through its Erie admissions process. You can specify in your interview that you want to go to seton hill. I think their idea is to spin the school off into a branch campus like Bradenton over the next few years.

Thats all I know.

I just visited the school (well, Seton Hill, not the LECOM medical college)this week since I was in Pittsburgh and was curious...

The school is about 30 miles outside of Pittsburgh. It took more like 40-45 mins to get to the school from downtown since I was in the middle of rush hour traffic. The school is in Greensburgh, PA, which seems quaint, but definitely has an Appalachia feel to it. Greensburgh is not a bustling college town, it seemed economically depressed in some areas, but has a decent downtown area and some commerical streets with fast foods and such. To be honest, the drive from Pittsburgh to the college did not include any areas that I would want to live in.

The college itself is gorgeous. It was founded (and probably still run by) Catholic nuns. It is, appropriately, on a giant hill. Definitely a smaller college, but seemed nice.

LECOM is currently admitting students to Seton Hill through its Erie admissions process. You can specify in your interview that you want to go to seton hill. I think their idea is to spin the school off into a branch campus like Bradenton over the next few years.

Thats all I know.

Just to add on it.

Yes they are admitting students through interviews at their Erie campus. Along with ranking the pathway you want (LDP, PBL, ISP, PCP), the Seton Hill campus is added as a fifth option. So you rate them in preference 1-5 and you might end up there.

At the interview they never said if they intended to make the Seton Hill campus have their own app process (like Bradenton) but no one asked either. Seton Hill will have approximately 100 spots there and will be entirely PBL (like Bradenton)..

So, jsut like getting accepted into LDP or PBL at Erie, you can get accepted to Seton Hill off your ranking.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.. hope it helps! =)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the replies, this really helps!!!

Just to add on it.

Yes they are admitting students through interviews at their Erie campus. Along with ranking the pathway you want (LDP, PBL, ISP, PCP), the Seton Hill campus is added as a fifth option. So you rate them in preference 1-5 and you might end up there.

At the interview they never said if they intended to make the Seton Hill campus have their own app process (like Bradenton) but no one asked either. Seton Hill will have approximately 100 spots there and will be entirely PBL (like Bradenton)..

So, jsut like getting accepted into LDP or PBL at Erie, you can get accepted to Seton Hill off your ranking.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head.. hope it helps! =)

Will clinical rotations be in the same locations ad Erie and Braedenton? I read that they signed some agreement with new hospitals for Seton Hill, just wondering if hte students will be limited to those new hospitals.

Will clinical rotations be in the same locations ad Erie and Braedenton? I read that they signed some agreement with new hospitals for Seton Hill, just wondering if hte students will be limited to those new hospitals.

They didn't say too much about that either. When we talked about clinical rotations, it was explained with the places most available (PA, OH, MI, and some others) and that you are somewhat separated into groups at the sites.. (i think) I would think that if they are adding new rotation sites @ seton hill it is so students can stay in one area for 4 years if they wanted. then again, i would think that anyone that wanted to could at least try for that spot.. it'd be a good question to ask!

I'm accepted at LECOM Seton Hill. Conemaugh Hospital and the Excela hospitals are the key clinical providers for this campus.

I live near Conemaugh. It is a level 1 trauma center, has a NICU, well equipped (uses robotics in OR), have a human patient simulator and lots of training tools, great hospital. I interned there this summer.

The cost of living in Greensburg is dirt cheap and you won't have to drive through 5 feet of snow. It's pretty mild around here.

Downside is that Seton Hill is an undergraduate institution and there might be a lot of parties around.

Please make sure you really want Seton Hill before you mark that as your #1. You can't change it.

Anyone know what they are doing about the anatomy labs and OPP labs there? During my interview, I thought the guy said there wouldn't be an anatomy lab next year but he mumbled it and he wasn't telling me. I just overheard.

I deferred my admission to LECOM-Erie from last year and will be going to Seton Hill in the fall. I'm from Pittsburgh and am SO glad I will not have to move. Greensburg is surely up in the mountains, but the country around there is beautiful. Most importantly...Pittsburgh is much nicer than Erie. They even clean the snow on the roads around here!
The drive from Pittsburgh is only 30-35 minutes if you are not in traffic and it is mostly interstate except for the part of US 30 you have to drive. It would be easy to live in Pittsburgh or in Monroeville (Exit 6 on the Turnpike) and there are plenty of options with nice neighborhoods that are at least near civilization. :rolleyes:

I was just accepted to LECOM Seton Hill.....anyone else going there?

Anyone know what they are doing about the anatomy labs and OPP labs there? During my interview, I thought the guy said there wouldn't be an anatomy lab next year but he mumbled it and he wasn't telling me. I just overheard.

You won't have anatomy lab! At least not in the traditional sense. It's all 'virtual', meaning you watch videos. I was told by my interveiwer that PBL at Senton is the same thing as PBL at main campus- you don't get the real cadaver lab.

You won't have anatomy lab! At least not in the traditional sense. It's all 'virtual', meaning you watch videos. I was told by my interveiwer that PBL at Senton is the same thing as PBL at main campus- you don't get the real cadaver lab.

hmm virtual anatomy lab? i wonder how effective that is at learning anatomy. Does anyone have any experience with the these anatomy videos in the PBL learning pathway? IMHO I'm not sure how well that would work, I'd like to see things with my own two eyes, a video can only take you so far. Just my own 2 cents. But what do I know, doctors designed this pathway so it must be somewhat successful! lol

The LECOM-Erie students seem to have received their matriculation packets. Have any Seton Hill students received theirs? I haven't.

Hey I was wondering if anyone had been accepted to only Seton Hill. I had ranked LDP-Erie as 1st choice and PBL-Seton Hill as second but I was accepted to Seton Hill and received no news of LECOM-Erie. Did this happen to anyone else?

Last edited:
Does anyone know if they are still interviewing for Seton Hill? How many they have accepted? How many they will take? Love to hear back. Thank you

BlueMercury, i know it is confusing, but since LECOM Seton Hill is a satellite campus of LECOM Erie, that IS your answer from LECOM Erie...you were placed at the Seton Hill location. No student will be accepted to both campuses. You are placed in one pathway at one location. My first choice was Erie PBL with Seton Hill as my second choice and I got placed at Seton Hill as well. I called and they allowed me to sit on a waiting list for PBL-Erie. Call admissions and ask if you can sit on a waiting list for LDP-Erie. It's worth a try! Best of luck!

meghalo05, because LECOM Seton Hill is a satellite campus of LECOM Erie, you must send your application to LECOM Erie as well as interview at LECOM Erie's campus. All of the Seton Hill admissions decisions and processes are done through there. So if you put in an application to LECOM Erie, give admissions a call and see if they are still OFFERING interviews. I know they are still conducting interviews because I have a friend who has an interview set up there in the beginning of March. Best of luck!

BlueMercury, i know it is confusing, but since LECOM Seton Hill is a satellite campus of LECOM Erie, that IS your answer from LECOM Erie...you were placed at the Seton Hill location. No student will be accepted to both campuses. You are placed in one pathway at one location. My first choice was Erie PBL with Seton Hill as my second choice and I got placed at Seton Hill as well. I called and they allowed me to sit on a waiting list for PBL-Erie. Call admissions and ask if you can sit on a waiting list for LDP-Erie. It's worth a try! Best of luck!

meghalo05, because LECOM Seton Hill is a satellite campus of LECOM Erie, you must send your application to LECOM Erie as well as interview at LECOM Erie's campus. All of the Seton Hill admissions decisions and processes are done through there. So if you put in an application to LECOM Erie, give admissions a call and see if they are still OFFERING interviews. I know they are still conducting interviews because I have a friend who has an interview set up there in the beginning of March. Best of luck!

I called it turns out LECOM-Erie is full, PBL and LDP. Hence why I got Seton Hill. I am on the waitlist for Erie. Seton Hill will actually be a new branch like Bradenton, it is just the first year class will be accepted through Erie.

wow, LDP has the most seats of all the pathways, so if it is full too then LECOM Erie has almost filled all of its seats! that's sad because my friend i spoke of before just interviewed this week and i know she wanted erie campus. :( well, good luck with the erie waiting list. i'm hanging in there with you!

I'm in, LECOM Seton Hall class of 2013. :D

I haven't been to Greensburg, PA before. Does anyone know if there are any nice apartments close to Seton Hall University?

I'm in, LECOM Seton Hall class of 2013. :D

I haven't been to Greensburg, PA before. Does anyone know if there are any nice apartments close to Seton Hall University?

When you send in your deposit they'll send you an email with 2 attachments: the matriculation packet and then also a PDF with apartments in the area.

When you send in your deposit they'll send you an email with 2 attachments: the matriculation packet and then also a PDF with apartments in the area.

Oh, good to know. Thanks. :)

So I interviewed like 10 days ago...just checked my LECOM Admissions Portal and it says the committee has made a decision and I will be notified:

LECOM-Erie within 10 days

LECOM-Seton Hill within 30 days

Any ideas on what that implies? I just read above that all the seats at Erie are supposedly full, but I don't know if that is accurate or not. I just don't see why the times are so different, especially when the decision comes from the same people.

if you get on the waiting list for erie will you lose your spot at seton hill? also is anyone a little nervous about being the first class at seton hill?...or do you all think seton hill will have similar results to the bradenton campus?

So I interviewed like 10 days ago...just checked my LECOM Admissions Portal and it says the committee has made a decision and I will be notified:

LECOM-Erie within 10 days

LECOM-Seton Hill within 30 days

Any ideas on what that implies? I just read above that all the seats at Erie are supposedly full, but I don't know if that is accurate or not. I just don't see why the times are so different, especially when the decision comes from the same people.

I interviewed 2/26 and have received this message as well... did everyone who received this on their portal get accepted? did anyone who got this get waitlisted?

* received my acceptance today 3/09/09*

Last edited:
* received my acceptance today 3/09/09*

Congrats! Did you get in to Erie or Seton Hill?

I'm at work now, and now pretty anxious to go home and check my mail...

Congrats! Did you get in to Erie or Seton Hill?

I'm at work now, and now pretty anxious to go home and check my mail...

I got accepted to Seton Hill, which was my first choice. When did you interview?

I got accepted to Seton Hill, which was my first choice. When did you interview?

I just got my acceptance letter to Seton Hill today (I interviewed the 27th of feb)....

...but it's contingent on me getting a C or better in inorganic chem. I guess my C- that I got in intro chem 6 years ago is not cutting it...even with a biomedical engineering degree. They want it done by July 1st, too, which seems impossible to me. I need to call admissions.

I just got my acceptance letter to Seton Hill today (I interviewed the 27th of feb)....

...but it's contingent on me getting a C or better in inorganic chem. I guess my C- that I got in intro chem 6 years ago is not cutting it...even with a biomedical engineering degree. They want it done by July 1st, too, which seems impossible to me. I need to call admissions.

CONGRATS!! Where did you see that LECOM requires you have chem done by July 1st? I have to take 2 more credits of behavior science and my letter doesn't say a date to done by, just before fall starts. Anyway most community colleges have classes from start of may thru end of june.

It says July 1st right on one of the sheets of paper they sent me with my letter; however, I talked to Amy in admissions this morning and 1.) She is going to see if they will reconsider this requirement, 2.) They are apparently more flexible about the date than they led on, which is good because I can only finish by July 7 at the earliest down here.

Even though it's doubtful, i'm hoping they'll waive this requirement. I've taken so many harder biomedical engineering classes than intro chem and did above their average on the physical sciences of the MCAT. just crossing my fingers, because three credits ain't cheap!

Thanks for all the support guys, hopefully I'll be seeing you in the fall...

It says July 1st right on one of the sheets of paper they sent me with my letter; however, I talked to Amy in admissions this morning and 1.) She is going to see if they will reconsider this requirement, 2.) They are apparently more flexible about the date than they led on, which is good because I can only finish by July 7 at the earliest down here.

Even though it's doubtful, i'm hoping they'll waive this requirement. I've taken so many harder biomedical engineering classes than intro chem and did above their average on the physical sciences of the MCAT. just crossing my fingers, because three credits ain't cheap!

Thanks for all the support guys, hopefully I'll be seeing you in the fall...

I noticed that their website only mentions the requirement of completing eight hours of inorganic chem and doesn't specify a minimum grade of C like some other schools. But if it's their policy, it's their policy. I can understand how they'd be hesitant to go down the path of waiving requirements in special cases. Sometimes a policy needs to just be a firm policy to maintain basic standards. The boards aren't going to care if you came really close to passing one part of your boards but did really well in other harder areas, you know? I do think telling you now about a deadline of 7/1 kind of stinks, though. Not too many schools have a schedule in which a class like that would begin in March and end in June, so I feel your pain on that. They may not waive the C requirement but I do think they should work with you on that deadline...

So I got the list of apartment complexes by email today. Does anyone know where they plan to stay?

I'm hoping to find something nice, but not too far away from school. It would also be cool to be close to some of my soon to be classmates (and away from any undergrad students if that's an issue).

So I got the list of apartment complexes by email today. Does anyone know where they plan to stay?

I'm hoping to find something nice, but not too far away from school. It would also be cool to be close to some of my soon to be classmates (and away from any undergrad students if that's an issue).

If you join the Seton Hill Facebook group, a discussion about housing and finding roommates has been going on. :)

I don't think that undergrads will be a big issue in Greensburg. Seton Hill is a small school, and from what I've read, many of the students live either on-campus or commute from home. I second the motion about the Facebook group.

Anyone with a different message than "LECOM-Erie within 10 days, LECOM-Seton Hill within 30 days" get in? I got a different message...I'm getting nervous...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.