LECOM Post-bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@gsppatelz17
If everything required for financial aid is turned in, you should receive an email when they decide on how much to award. The email will have instructions to check on portal and how to accept the amount. I think I ended up getting my finaid email in June and I had done mine late.

@Doc2b_123
You should be fine. Any important details you should be emailed. As long as you have everything sorted like finaid, health insurance forms, etc.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does all the prerequisites have to be completed before a decision is typically made..?

Hey I heard post-bacc students are not taught at the main medical campus. is this true?
Post-bacc classes used to be taught at the Bayfront campus but they were moved to the main campus last year, or maybe even the year before.

Members don't see this ad :)
@bobdole112
If you're talking about pre-req classes, I would believe so. If you're talking about MCAT, then a definite yes.

@OhNoMedSchool
No

FYI for all those coming to LECOM post bacc this year. Because I wish someone had told me this last year.
You DO NOT need to buy all the books Jamie lists in his book requirements email. Some of the books I never cracked open. If you've bought them all already, return them now.

First semester:
Books you need:
Histology - will be more useful second semester
BRS Physiology - this is NOT in the required books list. Merely a supplement. But it is a MUST. Two of the main physio teachers tests similarly to the info in this book. Not to mention, the information here is well organized for each unit so it will help in the future. Most people will have bought this book by their second month.

Books you might need:
Guyton physio - I used maybe 4 or 5 times to explain some concepts that the professor wasn't clear on. May be useful in MS1, but for post bacc, I would've just downloaded a free pdf instead.
Biochemistry - used it twice maybe. Again, should have just downloaded a free pdf.
^For all these books, copies exist in the library so if you need to refer to a physical copy, otherwise you don't need to purchase these yet.

Waste of money:
Books assigned for Genetics, Microbiology, and Cell biology. You will NEVER take them out of their shrink wrap. Got A's in all of those classes without even taking them out of their shipping boxes.

Second semester:
Books you need:
Gray's anatomy - even if you're cheap and like to get all your books as free pdfs, this is the one book in all of med school you want as a physical copy. You will beat and batter this book to death
Robbin's pathology - at first, won't be useful, but will be towards end of semester
Netter's anatomy - I recommend this as the strongest supplement for anatomy. Anatomy was by far the most difficult class in all of post bacc. Professors take pictures out of this book but take out the labels. This will help tremendously. Again, this is a supplement, and copies exist in the library, but if anatomy is not your strong suit or you've never taken it before, I highly recommend this.

Do not need any other books for second semester. But you can never have too many resources for anatomy.

Reactions: 6 users
@bobdole112
If you're talking about pre-req classes, I would believe so. If you're talking about MCAT, then a definite yes.

@OhNoMedSchool
No

FYI for all those coming to LECOM post bacc this year. Because I wish someone had told me this last year.
You DO NOT need to buy all the books Jamie lists in his book requirements email. Some of the books I never cracked open. If you've bought them all already, return them now.

First semester:
Books you need:
BRS Physiology - this is NOT in the required books list. Merely a supplement. But it is a MUST. Two of the main physio teachers tests similarly to the info in this book. Not to mention, the information here is well organized for each unit so it will help in the future. Most people will have bought this book by their second month.

Books you might need:
Guyton physio - I used maybe 4 or 5 times to explain some concepts that the professor wasn't clear on. May be useful in MS1, but for post bacc, I would've just downloaded a free pdf instead.
Biochemistry - used it twice maybe. Again, should have just downloaded a free pdf.
^For all these books, copies exist in the library so if you need to refer to a physical copy, otherwise you don't need to purchase these yet.

Waste of money:
Books assigned for Genetics, Microbiology, and Cell biology. You will NEVER take them out of their shrink wrap. Got A's in all of those classes without even taking them out of their shipping boxes.

Second semester:
Books you need:
Gray's anatomy - even if you're cheap and like to get all your books as free pdfs, this is the one book in all of med school you want as a physical copy. You will beat and batter this book to death
Robbin's pathology - at first, won't be useful, but will be towards end of semester
Netter's anatomy - I recommend this as the strongest supplement for anatomy. Anatomy was by far the most difficult class in all of post bacc. Professors take pictures out of this book but take out the labels. This will help tremendously. Again, this is a supplement, and copies exist in the library, but if anatomy is not your strong suit or you've never taken it before, I highly recommend this.

Do not need any other books for second semester. But you can never have too many resources for anatomy.

You are a saint!

@bobdole112

@OhNoMedSchool
No

First semester:
Books you need:

Books you might need:

Waste of money:

Second semester:
Books you need:

Can you comment on the overall difficulty of the program?

This is a great post that a former student wrote on the overall difficulty of the program.

Thanks, yeah that's my post. For @gabroojawan 's question. Out of 120 that started, I believe only 60-70 made it through. Many of them didn't study as much as they should have, and many of them did study hard. Personally, my undergraduate classes were significantly easier and I didn't have to study hard to have over a 3.0 science GPA. In the post bacc, the majority will be struggling to maintain or get over 3.0 in the first semester. Why does it seem so difficult? 3 big reasons.
1. No curve. In my undergrad, you could easily get B's in tough science classes if everyone did horrible on a test. Here, if the professor makes his or her test hard and 50% of students get an F on his section, then too bad.
2. Inconsistency of teaching and testing difficulty by professors. Go to that link above and read what I have to say about that.
3. Combined tests. Lectures of different subjects are combined into one big test every 2 to 4 weeks. Makes it difficult for the student to know how and which subject to study for with regards to time management. Imagine if you were in undergrad, and you had your anatomy, pathology, pharm, and intro to med tests all on the same day.

These are reasons why this program is difficult, but by no means, are they unfair. If you can't overcome these hurdles, then med school will be rough. Everyone has the ability to study efficiently and do well starting off as long as they've got a study method figured out. Cramming DOES NOT work in this program. And not sure if someone's mentioned this before in this thread, but the first semester is the most important in terms of getting a good gpa. Not just because getting a good start means being relaxed the second semester, but because it determines when you get your conditional acceptance, what pathway you will get, and for those looking to go to Bradenton or Seton Hill, the higher the gpa, the better your chances. DSP is a highly sought after pathway because you rarely attend lectures... so remember, the higher your GPA, the greater chance you can avoid lectures in the future lol. You do most of the learning on your own anyways. I know I make it sound really difficult, but there were plenty of people who got comfortable gpas >3.5 and there were a handful that didn't study as hard as others and did well. Everyone's different, but it's better to be safe than sorry. If you've reached this point and you're still not confident about your studying method, it's time to figure it out fast in the first months you're here. Make study guides, flash cards, get a white board, study alongside a friend, etc, do what you have to and if you put in the effort and are smart with how you study, you're more than likely to succeed.

Although I finished the program a while ago (2007-2008), I agree with the above poster completely. The bottom line is that the program is your chance to show that you can handle medical school despite whatever setbacks (low MCAT, low GPA,etc) you may have experienced in the past. You need to take it seriously and work hard to succeed. It is my no means impossible, and it is a good way to hone your study skills before med school but it is a dress rehearsal for med school. Earlier in the thread there were some posters who were complaining about the pass rate/acceptance rate. There are people that went into the postbac thinking it would be easy and they could skate through (probably the same thing that caused them to need the postbac in the first place), and they find out that it won't work this time either. Work hard, study, treat it seriously and most of all treat it as your big chance to get in to med school. You can do it ! (just finishing up residency and starting attending-hood in ~ 1 month thanks to post bac !).

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody know if they have the same conditions for their dental school? Like a 3.0 GPA and a decent DAT score should get you an interview at LECOM?

Does anybody know if they have the same conditions for their dental school? Like a 3.0 GPA and a decent DAT score should get you an interview at LECOM?

I would email Jamie for an answer as I'm not really sure. I know the 4-5 pre-dental students in our class all did one group interview regardless of having the 3.0 around the same time the premeds did. Whether or not the acceptance is "guaranteed" if you have the 3.0, I don't really know.

I don't know about the DAT requirement but the same deal applies to the pre-dental students. As far as I know, the ones that I know in the class got into dental schools including LECOM.

Is there a specific contact person for this program, or should all questions just be sent to the LECOM admission's office?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Everyone,
I just got accepted to LECOM Post Bacc Program for 2015-2016. Has anyone else been accepted?

Hey congratulations, would you mind sharing your stats?
Thank You. I am a pre-dental student, so I took the DAT. my DAT score is 19, but both my GPA's are high. higher than 3.6. Did you apply to this program?

Does anybody know if the dress code applies for post-bac students as well?

Thank You. I am a pre-dental student, so I took the DAT. my DAT score is 19, but both my GPA's are high. higher than 3.6. Did you apply to this program?
Yes, I've had all my stuff in but I'm waiting to take the MCAT in June and submit my scores. I know I'm a little late but I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that gets in late. I really want to get into this program. Anyways congrats again.

hey guys,
I applied on the 14th of this month, still waiting on a transcript to be mailed out
which contains an upgrade with regards to a retake course. With that said,
does anyone have an estimate as to how long it usually takes for
the school to make a decision? Also, for those who have been accepted (congrats!),
would you mind sharing your stats just to have a rough idea as to what exactly
the school is looking for?

Thank You

Yes, I've had all my stuff in but I'm waiting to take the MCAT in June and submit my scores. I know I'm a little late but I'm hoping I'm one of the lucky ones that gets in late. I really want to get into this program. Anyways congrats again.

Thanks and good luck on your MCAT. the deadline is Aug 1, so you should still be good.

hey guys,
I applied on the 14th of this month, still waiting on a transcript to be mailed out
which contains an upgrade with regards to a retake course. With that said,
does anyone have an estimate as to how long it usually takes for
the school to make a decision? Also, for those who have been accepted (congrats!),
would you mind sharing your stats just to have a rough idea as to what exactly
the school is looking for?

Thank You

3 weeks approximately!

Hi everyone! I just secured an apartment at Scenery Hills which is 2 blocks from LECOM and am looking for a female roommate. If you are interested please inbox me!

Hi everyone! I applied to the post bac program recently and am waiting for them to process my transcripts and stuff but I still need to send my MCAT and LOR. How do we send the MCAT scores? I tried the AMCAS THx thing but don't see an option for LECOM. Or is inputting the score on the application enough? Also, how do we send the LOR through interfolio? I can't find an option for LECOM there either. If someone could clarify how to send these items i would really appreciate it!

Edit: Also, is an interview required to get accepted into the post-bac program? I'm just trying to figure out if I'll need to get money together for a flight ticket.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I applied to the post bac program recently and am waiting for them to process my transcripts and stuff but I still need to send my MCAT and LOR. How do we send the MCAT scores? I tried the AMCAS THx thing but don't see an option for LECOM. Or is inputting the score on the application enough? Also, how do we send the LOR through interfolio? I can't find an option for LECOM there either. Please help!
What you can do is generate an MCAT score report using the thx system save it and send that to Jamie. That should be fine for the official MCAT. Not sure about the interfolio recs i sent mine through us mail!

Hi all, just came across this information and thought it might be useful for anyone waiting to submit their MCAT scores.

For those of you who are curious, students who will be using the new MCAT for the guaranteed admissions into LECOM, your score must be at least in the 40th percentile overall. If you will be using the current MCAT, a 23 is required. Info from Mr. Murphy.

just got accepted!!! Does anyone know the dental requirements for the linkage program?

Hey everyone! I just found out about this program and really want to apply. I'm worried that this is very late in the cycle and I'm not sure about my stats (cGPA 3.01 sGPA~2.6-2.7 MCAT 32). When I looked at their requirements to be accepted to the post-bacc program, the website said we need a 2.7 GPA for the science classes. Are they talking about for each science class or overall? What do you guys think about my chances?

Please let me know!

Also, I have a C- in a couple classes, is this reason for a definite no from them? Should I consider applying with those C-s?

Hey everyone! I just found out about this program and really want to apply. I'm worried that this is very late in the cycle and I'm not sure about my stats (cGPA 3.01 sGPA~2.6-2.7 MCAT 32). When I looked at their requirements to be accepted to the post-bacc program, the website said we need a 2.7 GPA for the science classes. Are they talking about for each science class or overall? What do you guys think about my chances?

Please let me know!

Also, I have a C- in a couple classes, is this reason for a definite no from them? Should I consider applying with those C-s?

Your cGPA is competitive, MCAT obviously good to go. sGPA is borderline; needs to be 2.7 to make the cutoff.
Also, if your C- were in any of the pre-requisite courses you will have to retake them and get a C or better. The website for DO admissions specifically mentions a C- in a pre-requisite as being unacceptable. So by extension you'd need the C to get into the post-bacc too since I assume your plan would be to matriculate straight from PB to DO.

Your cGPA is competitive, MCAT obviously good to go. sGPA is borderline; needs to be 2.7 to make the cutoff.
Also, if your C- were in any of the pre-requisite courses you will have to retake them and get a C or better. The website for DO admissions specifically mentions a C- in a pre-requisite as being unacceptable. So by extension you'd need the C to get into the post-bacc too since I assume your plan would be to matriculate straight from PB to DO.

Thanks for your input! That's what I was thinking too, but I don't know if I could enroll and retake them without losing another year. I'll contact them directly and see what they say. Was so interested in this program.

Hey guys! What's the best way to find available apartments? Emailing or calling? I'm looking for a 1BR

Hi all just curious.. Does anyone know how the science gpa is calculated for those applying to lecom's post bacc? Is AACOMAS' science gpa classification used or just B/C/P/M courses...? I looked at the handbook called into jamie, but to no avail.

Hi all just curious.. Does anyone know how the science gpa is calculated for those applying to lecom's post bacc? Is AACOMAS' science gpa classification used or just B/C/P/M courses...? I looked at the handbook called into jamie, but to no avail.

I emailed Jaime and received an automated response about him not being in office until tomorrow, so maybe try calling then?

I emailed Jaime and received an automated response about him not being in office until tomorrow, so maybe try calling then?
Right because I know we send our transcripts to Lecom not to AACOMAS. It would be odd for them to use AACOMAS' science classification when we aren't even submitting the transcripts to them.

Giving up my spot in this program to attend somewhere else. Hopefully someone who really wants it gets it!
Hey just curious... Do you mind sharing what program you were dismissed from? I am not sure if they were clear on how they perceive people dismissed from previous programs.. Also what was your stats.

I just received my username and password, but the LECOM website is just not working for me! Is anyone else having trouble with their website?

@Mellophone5
Calling is better. Jamie should be sending you guys a list of housing options with numbers if he hasn't done so yet. If he hasn't, feel free to PM me and I can name some apartment complexes that are nearby the school.

@palauddin
What WBA said is right regarding what the requirements say. But funny thing is, I actually got into the program with a C- in one of my pre-req classes so not sure how they really look at that. However, having more than one C- might be a red flag. That along with that low of a sGPA, I recommend retaking whatever science classes you got the C- in then applying.

Going to withdraw my seat to this program for Touro MS, hope one of you obtain it, good luck and best wishes to all attending Lecom this fall! :)

@isurvived

That's good to hear! I only got one C- too (in Orgo), but when I looked back at my grades, realized I made a C+ the next semester, so maybe, possibly they can average those two out for 8-credits as a C? :angelic: I emailed Jamie, asking about it. One can hope... But yes, from you guys' advice, I plan on retaking that semester of Orgo anyway, since the medical school requires it!

Last edited:
yeah you kind of have to take upper level science courses to graduate from college if youre majoring in the sciences. As long as you do well on your mcat I dont even know why you would do this program. Get in the upper 20s and you could probably get into a DO school. I havent ever volunteered in a hospital or really anywhere so way to be proactive. Also I had probation and was disqualifed from school my freshman year so I dont think they mind. Good luck.

p.s. I applied in late february or early march.
If I may ask... what program were you dismissed from......? They didn't inquire about that...?

Hey guys! I was wondering how long your essays were for the application? I'm just using my personal statement, but I want to expand it a bit more. I don't want it to be too long though! How many words did you use?

Another question:

I tried logging into collegeboard for my SAT score and the date I took it, but when I looked at my profile, it showed that I had never taken the text. Now, I already found my SAT scores by logging into my college website but there's no date there. So... is the SAT date that important or should I estimate the date and put that in?

Thanks!

Hey guys! I was wondering how long your essays were for the application? I'm just using my personal statement, but I want to expand it a bit more. I don't want it to be too long though! How many words did you use?

Mine was almost exactly one page typed up.

Another question:

I tried logging into collegeboard for my SAT score and the date I took it, but when I looked at my profile, it showed that I had never taken the text. Now, I already found my SAT scores by logging into my college website but there's no date there. So... is the SAT date that important or should I estimate the date and put that in?

Thanks!

I don't think I ever submitted ACT/SAT scores to them. Not sure that they would really even care about it since they have your MCAT to judge you. I'd just ballpark the date.

Hey all,

I was accepted to the post bacc program a bit ago, but have yet to accept the offer. Trying to decide between a few programs. Anyway, does anyone know the tuition? Online it says ~13,000 but is that for one semester or for the full program?

Also, anyone know class size? Easy to get new LORs? I emailed the program director but he hasn't gotten back to me. Something about being out of town.

Thanks!

Hey all,

I was accepted to the post bacc program a bit ago, but have yet to accept the offer. Trying to decide between a few programs. Anyway, does anyone know the tuition? Online it says ~13,000 but is that for one semester or for the full program?

~$13k is the tuition for the entire program.

Also, anyone know class size? Easy to get new LORs? I emailed the program director but he hasn't gotten back to me. Something about being out of town.

Thanks!

The class that just finished started out with ~130 according to the seating chart handed out at the beginning. Most, but not all, are in the medical track. You'll be assigned an advisor at the beginning of the year, and have to meet with them a couple of times. They should be able to write you a letter no problem as long as you're performing well in the program.