LECOM Post-bacc 2015-2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are the lectures recorded? If not, are student allowed to record the lectures?

Members don't see this ad.

The lectures are not recorded. Students are allowed to record the lectures but you have to ask the lecturers for permission first, most of them are ok with it.

Reactions: 1 user
So after panning through other comments I noticed most people after they were complete get a decision within 2 1/2 weeks. I guess these are maybe the more competitive applicants? I don't think I fare high my stats are 23 mcat, 3.2 sgpa and 3.5 cgpa. I got accepted into CCOM's MA program and had to pay the 750 deposit for it on 4/30 just to be safe. Still hope we get a decisions soon with something positive (fingers crossed).

Hey I have an interview at TCMC on monday as well! Might bump into you haha

Thats awesome! you know how long its supposed to be? and also, your stats are competitive. Just be patient. Youll get the acceptance letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thats awesome! you know how long its supposed to be? and also, your stats are competitive. Just be patient. Youll get the acceptance letter.

Not sure what you were asking about for the how long thing sorry! But thank you, I'm hoping for the best!

Does anyone have recommendations on places to live? Preferably close to LECOM?

Disregard the laptop requirements, tons of people used Mac, even in the medical/dental programs. It's just that if you use a Mac, you won't get any support from the tech department. No one ever needs help from their tech department

Would my honda fit survive erie?
Anything with snow tires will be fine. Having said that, all season tires will do just fine as well. If you don't know how to drive in the snow, it doesn't matter what kind of car/tires you have --- you will have to learn to drive in the snow.

I don't know of anyone who had any real trouble in our class. There were times that students needed some help, and classmates helped them out.

logged into the portal and decided to check on my admissions status figuring it'd be the same "your app is still under review" and lo and behold "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." NOW FOR THE NERVE RACKING WAIT.

logged into the portal and decided to check on my admissions status figuring it'd be the same "your app is still under review" and lo and behold "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." NOW FOR THE NERVE RACKING WAIT.

Yay, hpgryffn. I am still waiting for mine. Hope we both get some good news soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't be alarmed by the size of the envelope. An acceptance will be in a standard envelope.

Reactions: 2 users
Yay, hpgryffn. I am still waiting for mine. Hope we both get some good news soon!

I hope so as well! I think someone mentioned that they hold the decision made letters to send them out together in batches so maybe we'll get to know around the same time!

Don't be alarmed by the size of the envelope. An acceptance will be in a standard envelope.

thanks for the heads up! :)

Why is everyone who got accepted so excited? The chances of becoming a physician through this program(~60%) is the same as the carribean(~55%).

Why is everyone who got accepted so excited? The chances of becoming a physician through this program(~60%) is the same as the carribean(~55%).

You seem to be equating "overall success rate of 60%" with "each student has a 60% chance of success". This is obviously not true.

Try not to be so negative man. If you're concerned about being able to make a 3.0 in the program then I obviously wouldn't apply. The ones that are happy about their acceptance probably feel they are capable of being successful.

Reactions: 3 users
From what I've heard from past students is that this program is basically a steal. I've looked into a lot of post-bac programs and this is the only one which basically guarantees admission to their med school (yea it's stated "guaranteed interview" but as previous students have said, anyone with a 23 and 3.0 will get into the med school unless they majorly screw up their interview.)
Other post bac programs ask for 25-30K or more. This program is roughly 13k.
For someone who may have no other way to enter med school this program provides a way. Of course you have to work for it and maintain a 3.0 (come on you're gunna become a physician -gotta work for everything) but anyone who's dying to get into med school will be excited to attend LECOM's postbac. Personally I'd rather do a postbac here and matriculate into med school the following yr than go to a carib med school.

Interesting! I would suggest you to read this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...tudent-looking-to-get-into-do-school.1115220/.

Summary: An MS1 from SGU was worrying about his residency prospect coming from an offshore school and trying to matriculate into DO schools. I believe he got accepted into the LECOM post-bac program and will start classes with you guys in the Fall.

I have talked to quite a few DO students myself and nobody ever said 'Geez dang, I wish I would have gone to Ross or SGU instead.'

For someone who seems to be extremely risk-averse, the fact that you are even entertaining the idea of Carribean medical schools is beyond me. You need to read more on the issues related to the offshore schools.

I could write a lengthy explanation on how the Post-bacc is a much better alternative but I think I will save the effort for someone who's receptive to my advice.

Reactions: 2 users

I don't know why you are comparing a Post-bac program to a Medical School (albeit in the Caribbean), but do what you want. Why are you indirectly being mean to those who are genuinely excited to attend this program? Lecom-postbac will lead you to becoming a US medical graduate (DO) with higher prospective residencies in the US, whereas Caribbean Medical school = international medical graduate. nuff said.

Please don't apply to this program. I don't want to be classmates with you. You'll probably whine the whole time you are in the program since LECOM does have strict rules and it seems like obtaining a 3.0 might be difficult for you.

My suggestion... go to a Caribbean Medical School since there's a higher chance (-5%) *sarcasm* of being a physician, according to the numbers you provided.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
I am so nervous! My application won't be complete till like end of July since I am missing MCAT scores. So many people have already been accepted. I really want to get into this program.

I am so nervous! My application won't be complete till like end of July since I am missing MCAT scores. So many people have already been accepted. I really want to get into this program.
I feel your pain :-/

Does anyone know how to official give up your spot in the program? Do I just email Jamie?

Your chances of getting accepted have absolutely everything to do with the effort you put into getting As and Bs. Plus, this program is a great warm-up for the real thing: adjustment to the rigors of medical school, settling into a routine that one is used to, familiarity with the professors and exam-style questions, and a dry-run with a GPA that disappears once you are accepted.

For all of these reasons, this program dominates a decision to go to the Caribbean.

Interesting! I would suggest you to read this thread http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/need-
For someone who seems to be extremely risk-averse, the fact that you are even entertaining the idea of Carribean medical schools is beyond me. You need to read more on the issues related to the offshore schools.

In the end. its your own decision to choose between the two. Theres absolutely no need to hate like that. You're making us brooklyn guys look bad.

If you have any questions, just ask them politely. Theres multiple people here who are more then willing to answer them.

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know why you are comparing a Post-bac program to a Medical School (albeit in the Caribbean), but do what you want. Why are you indirectly being mean to those who are genuinely excited to attend this program? Lecom-postbac will lead you to becoming a US medical graduate (DO) with higher prospective residencies in the US, whereas Caribbean Medical school = international medical graduate. nuff said.

Please don't apply to this program. I don't want to be classmates with you. You'll probably whine the whole time you are in the program since LECOM does have strict rules and it seems like obtaining a 3.0 might be difficult for you.

My suggestion... go to a Caribbean Medical School since there's a higher chance (-5%) *sarcasm* of being a physician, according to the numbers you provided.

Good luck with whatever choice you make.
I was wondering the same thing..why is that kid comparing a post bacc program to a med school? Cause what im understanding is that those percentages are match rates..which makes no sense cause a post bacc has no match rates.

Reactions: 1 users
I have gotten quite a few PMs asking if admission to LECOM DO program is guaranteed. I just want to make it clear that there is NO GUARANTEED ADMISSION into the DO program after the post-bacc. You will be told this again at orientation by the dean and the program director. However, Jaimie did say that since the inception of the program (6, 7 years?), there has only been 1 guy/gal (3.0 in the program, 23+ MCAT) who was wait-listed after the interview. I think he/she was being unprofessional at the interview or something.

I think there is only 1 SMP program in existence that guarantees you an admission, which is the program at Temple University, and this program requires an interview for the SMP program. All programs want to make sure 1) you have the work-ethics and capacity to succeed in medical school 2) you are socially well-adjusted and not a sociopath. Nobody will guarantee you anything before physically seeing you in person.

For the LECOM DO program, historically the followings are the recipe for an acceptance:
- 3.0+ post-bacc GPA
- did not fail any classes in the post-bacc
- 23+ MCAT
- successful interview
Many people apply to other DO/MD schools as well and doing well in the post-bacc program will definitely help your cause if you want to get back to your home state or any specific schools that you have your aim on.

The interview is a lot easier than it sounds, that's why you don't hear it mentioned at all by previous students. It is in group format consisting of 6, 7 students and 2 faculty members. You are expected to dress professionally (suits) and act professionally (attentive when others are talking, no feet on table, not disruptive when others are talking and not overly competitive/aggressive etc.). Each of you will be asked 2 questions and then the faculty will ask 2 group questions and each of you will take turn and contribute your insights. This whole thing lasts an hour, an hour and a half.

Getting a high GPA in the program is your number 1 priority, everything else is ancillary.

I don't know anything about the pre-pharm students in the program as we did not take any classes with them but everything I said regarding the pre-med people apply to the pre-dent students as well.

Question for current or past students. How many classes did you take per semester? I'm trying to get an idea about the course load.

Question for current or past students. How many classes did you take per semester? I'm trying to get an idea about the course load.

Fall Semester
Physiology (5hrs)
Biochemistry (3)
Microbiology (2)
Cell Biology (2)
Medical Genetics (1)
Histology (1)
Critical Thinking (1)

Spring Semester
Anatomy (5)
Pathology (4)
Pharmacology and Toxicology (3)
Virology (1)
Immunology (1)
Intro to Clinical Medicine (1)

Edit: Though most of the courses do not run for the entirety of each semester.

Former post-bac student here. I spent some time on this forum before entering LECOM post-bac so I figured I'd add in my two cents..

It seems as if UnoMas and WBA pretty much hit the nail on the head in all of the departments in terms of explaining the program. In summary, this program is completely doable if you are a good student. If you are applying to this program grades should be your #1 priority from the moment you step foot on campus. Please start off studying from day one so that you do not fall behind. You want your first semester grades to be as close to a 4.0 as possible so you will be granted conditional acceptance in January after interviews. The courses can be tough, but overall, if you pay attention in class and take notes on the PowerPoints you will be able to get A's on every exam.

The interview was very simple. Everyone was nervous but just be yourself and answer the questions confidently. You must still prepare for the interview but you will be asked a total of two questions and continue on in a group discussion. You will be in an interview among your fellow post-bac classmates so it should not be too intimidating.

LECOM is very strict on professionalism. They do it to prepare you for the future as a physician and more importantly to protect their own reputation. During your first day of orientation you will be hit with seemingly endless amounts of rules to abide by but just accept it and move on. This organization is offering you an opportunity to live your dream so respect their policies.

In general, Erie is alright but it isn't a town I would want to spend the rest of my life in. Erie can be beautiful when the weather is nice but generally it snows, rains, is cold, and you never see the sun. Most of the food I encountered was also mediocre... If anyone finds a decent pizza please let me know! However, the cost of living is dirt cheap and the apartments I've visited were all in fair condition.

Overall, I enjoyed my time as a post-bac student and I recommend this program to any of you seeking entrance into medical school. If you do this program you MUST succeed. If you fail this program I find it hard to believe that any other program would consider you. High risk, high reward.

I wish you all luck. I'll probably stop by this forum now and then to answer questions.

Reactions: 5 users
Former post-bac student here. I spent some time on this forum before entering LECOM post-bac so I figured I'd add in my two cents..

It seems as if UnoMas and WBA pretty much hit the nail on the head in all of the departments in terms of explaining the program. In summary, this program is completely doable if you are a good student. If you are applying to this program grades should be your #1 priority from the moment you step foot on campus. Please start off studying from day one so that you do not fall behind. You want your first semester grades to be as close to a 4.0 as possible so you will be granted conditional acceptance in January after interviews. The courses can be tough, but overall, if you pay attention in class and take notes on the PowerPoints you will be able to get A's on every exam.

The interview was very simple. Everyone was nervous but just be yourself and answer the questions confidently. You must still prepare for the interview but you will be asked a total of two questions and continue on in a group discussion. You will be in an interview among your fellow post-bac classmates so it should not be too intimidating.

LECOM is very strict on professionalism. They do it to prepare you for the future as a physician and more importantly to protect their own reputation. During your first day of orientation you will be hit with seemingly endless amounts of rules to abide by but just accept it and move on. This organization is offering you an opportunity to live your dream so respect their policies.

In general, Erie is alright but it isn't a town I would want to spend the rest of my life in. Erie can be beautiful when the weather is nice but generally it snows, rains, is cold, and you never see the sun. Most of the food I encountered was also mediocre... If anyone finds a decent pizza please let me know! However, the cost of living is dirt cheap and the apartments I've visited were all in fair condition.

Overall, I enjoyed my time as a post-bac student and I recommend this program to any of you seeking entrance into medical school. If you do this program you MUST succeed. If you fail this program I find it hard to believe that any other program would consider you. High risk, high reward.

I wish you all luck. I'll probably stop by this forum now and then to answer questions.
On average, how many hours a day did you study (outside of class)? Which classes did you study the most for?

On average, how many hours a day did you study (outside of class)? Which classes did you study the most for?
This will probably be different for everyone to be honest. Physio/Anatomy probably required the most time for a lot of us (also worth the most). However, Histology could be the struggle for someone. What you should become accustomed to is spreading your time out to cover all of the material and stay current with what is presented. As many have touched on already, don't get behind. If you fail a 5 credit course, you won't get in. If you fail a 1 credit course, you won't get in. If it requires 10 hours of study time outside of the classroom to start, do it. Overstudy and do well out the gate. Then you can modify the style that works best for you as the semester progresses and different material is presented. Some days I studied 10 hours, some days I studied 1 hour. I think staying on top of everything is the key. Keep refreshing yourself with the material. When you feel good with the material, do practice questions or quiz your friends. Then go back and refresh some more. But again, everyone is different in the study department.

Fall Semester
Physiology (5hrs)
Biochemistry (3)
Microbiology (2)
Cell Biology (2)
Medical Genetics (1)
Histology (1)
Critical Thinking (1)

Spring Semester
Anatomy (5)
Pathology (4)
Pharmacology and Toxicology (3)
Virology (1)
Immunology (1)
Intro to Clinical Medicine (1)

Edit: Though most of the courses do not run for the entirety of each semester.
I saw somewhere that people were saying the LECOM postbac classes are not med school classes, but were some graduate classes. is that true?

I saw somewhere that people were saying the LECOM postbac classes are not med school classes, but were some graduate classes. is that true?

If you're asking if the classes are taken with medical students, then no. The classes are taught by the same faculty that teach the medical students though. I would say a good generalization would be that we do not get as much breadth, but we do get similar depth in the topics covered. Lack of breadth can be attributed to the shorter semesters that we have, and the slower pacing. The post-bacc material will likely be easier overall than medical school, but the stakes are higher (must maintain that 3.0 in PB whereas you can pass with less than a 3.0 in medical school (not that anyone would want to)).

My roommate is an MS-1 and the post-bacc program actually teaches things that he hasn't really gotten to yet. So you can't really make a direct comparison to the MS-1 curriculum.

So I am really scared that I would not be able to find a studio or one bedroom apartment. I am taking my MCAT in June so IF I do get in it'll be so late to look for housing. Kinda stressful.

Can someone suggest where is the safest place to live but in close proximity to campus. I know the laurel apartments are best, but they both have wait lists. I notice a lot of apartments availabe on or near bayfront parkway. I have read up on the lake effect and saw videos of it. Am a bit scared driving my honda fit throught that to get to class. Thanks!

Can someone suggest where is the safest place to live but in close proximity to campus. I know the laurel apartments are best, but they both have wait lists. I notice a lot of apartments availabe on or near bayfront parkway. I have read up on the lake effect and saw videos of it. Am a bit scared driving my honda fit throught that to get to class. Thanks!

Erie in general isn't too bad but the area gets a little shadier once you hit past west 12th st, so I would say anything between that and LECOM is pretty safe. Alot of people also lived in the maleno apts. For the snow, I would recommend getting some snow tires unless you have a 4x4 or SUV. It definitely helped my honda survive last winter. :nod:

any news from anyone who's had their status changed to "decision made" recently? Still waiting for this snail mail :(

So I just found out about this program via snail-mail, and started skimming this thread. Could I still apply to this program or would it pretty much be a $50 donation at this point?

cGPA: 2.76/sGPA: 2.93 (Will be cGPA: 2.82/sGPA: 3.07 after my next round of classes end in early august)
30 MCAT (9ps,10v,11bs)
pretty good EC, not spectacular, but pretty good.

So I just found out about this program via snail-mail, and started skimming this thread. Could I still apply to this program or would it pretty much be a $50 donation at this point?

cGPA: 2.76/sGPA: 2.93 (Will be cGPA: 2.82/sGPA: 3.07 after my next round of classes end in early august)
30 MCAT (9ps,10v,11bs)
pretty good EC, not spectacular, but pretty good.

I guess that depends on how much $50 is worth to you. I'd probably throw the hail mary. There were classmates who were accepted in the weeks before class started last year.

Just got my acceptance letter today!! I'm beyond thrilled this is my #1 choice. I'll be seeing all those attending in the fall! :soexcited:

Reactions: 3 users
I would say you should still apply, your mcat is strong, I saw a trend in previous posts where they usually accepted higher mcat scores in lieu of lower grades. you never know!

Hello Everyone I applied to this program, my application was completed by the end of April, my cGPA is 3.49 and my sGPA is 3.2, my MCAT is low 22 but I am retaking the new one. My ECs are pretty strong, letters of rec are strong as well, do I have any chance of getting in?

Hello Everyone I applied to this program, my application was completed by the end of April, my cGPA is 3.49 and my sGPA is 3.2, my MCAT is low 22 but I am retaking the new one. My ECs are pretty strong, letters of rec are strong as well, do I have any chance of getting in?

I think so. I would definitely try to take the mcat again before you start the program though.

I know everybody in this thread has probably been done with the application for a few months now, but I've got two quick questions

1) Does anyone know how to add more than 2 undergraduate schools?
2) Can we send LoR via interfolio?

Hey all, former post bacc here again. I posted earlier in this thread describing the program. I'm a little less busy now so I can answer any other questions since this forum really helped me in the past. Fire away.

@reaperx58 - don't know about your first question, but yes, you send your recs through interfolio. Then when you apply to the DO program, they will transfer the recs for you from post bacc to the med school

Hey all, former post bacc here again. I posted earlier in this thread describing the program. I'm a little less busy now so I can answer any other questions since this forum really helped me in the past. Fire away.

@reaperx58 - don't know about your first question, but yes, you send your recs through interfolio. Then when you apply to the DO program, they will transfer the recs for you from post bacc to the med school

Thanks, good to hear.

Hey, everyone! Another question if someone doesn't mind chiming in. I mailed in my $50 deposit and matriculation form earlier this week before going out of town for possibly several weeks, and I'm wondering if I'll miss any important mail from LECOM in the meantime. Did you guys receive anything in the mail after submitting this form, or was follow-up information received via email? Thanks for any response!

Hey, everyone! Another question if someone doesn't mind chiming in. I mailed in my $50 deposit and matriculation form earlier this week before going out of town for possibly several weeks, and I'm wondering if I'll miss any important mail from LECOM in the meantime. Did you guys receive anything in the mail after submitting this form, or was follow-up information received via email? Thanks for any response!
Hey, all I received after I sent in a 50 dollar check, was an email that included a pdfs for a roommate list and the required books list!