LECOM Post Bacc 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all, I'm just looking for some advice and this thread caught my attention. Do you think I will be able to gain acceptance into the program with a 2.9-3.0 UG gpa and a 20 MCAT? (Took the MCAT without studying much at all, while taking Orgo 2 and an upper level bio course. Plan to retake in March, but also plan to apply for this program before then) Any advice appreciated!

Thanks!

From what their page states, no. MCAT has to be above 23 (or 22??). Good call on the retake.

Members don't see this ad.

How do you improve your chances of being accepted to the DO program outside of doing well in the post bac?

Currently I have a 3.4cum gpa 3.2sci and a 28 mcat. Great ECs and letters. I have not yet been accepted to the program and am trying to figure out what to do in the next few months. Obviously my success in the program will be a huge factor (if I get in) but will a stronger mcat help my chances of matriculation to the do program by much? Considering doing some intensive studying and retaking.

to be honest i would apply next cycle. Your stats already sound competitive enough with out the post bacc program. Maybe a higher MCAT would be better but if your interested in Erie.

Members don't see this ad :)
Have there been any other acceptances? Been pretty lax on the forums board.

Well.. still "under review"

Contacted them again about the transcript and apparently they wont pull it from the DO application even though they said they would??

Do you guys know if you actually have to GRADUATE before you send in your transcript? thats what Jamie Murphy made it sound like?????

If you do that is just ridiculous because i wont be able to send in my final transcript til June....

They said they would roll everything over from my DO, BUT ONLY AFTER LECOM made a decision for my traditional DO route. Until they accept/deny my application will remain on file but no action will be taken.. Did you apply to LECOM DO?

Yep- applied to LECOM DO and was rejected.... dont understand why they wont just transfer things over............................ :mad:

Yep- applied to LECOM DO and was rejected.... dont understand why they wont just transfer things over............................ :mad:

I've already been accepted and I was rejected from LECOM DO...they transferred my LOR for me no problem, I had to request a transcript from my school though.

Did you graduate already? Jamie made it seem like i needed to graduate before I could be accepted.

I've already been accepted and I was rejected from LECOM DO...they transferred my LOR for me no problem, I had to request a transcript from my school though.

If you don't mind, what were your stats like?

"committee has made a decision"...now I just wait for the letter. :xf:

Has anyone had their status changed to under review but still has their transcripts marked as incomplete in the folder items (with a red X next to it)? I sent my transcripts awhile back and the tracking shows that they reached.

Hey guys,

I've been shooting email to people in the program to get a general consensus about the program and everyone seems to say its good as long as you work for it.

But one person brought up a kind've disheartening thing...they said,

"I have heard a rumor that next year they may want to make the Post Bacc class around 200 people and not have the guarantee anymore. Not sure if this is a rumor / or how much truth to it there is."

Has anyone heard about this rumor and have anything to say? That would be a major bummer to join this program for the informal guarantee to find out its non-existent.

Members don't see this ad :)
I talked to Jamie in admissions a few weeks ago and he never said anything like that. He said that there is still a guaranteed interview and pretty much a guaranteed acceptance with a 3.0 or better in the program

Hey guys,

I've been shooting email to people in the program to get a general consensus about the program and everyone seems to say its good as long as you work for it.

But one person brought up a kind've disheartening thing...they said,

"I have heard a rumor that next year they may want to make the Post Bacc class around 200 people and not have the guarantee anymore. Not sure if this is a rumor / or how much truth to it there is."

Has anyone heard about this rumor and have anything to say? That would be a major bummer to join this program for the informal guarantee to find out its non-existent.

Email them directly, they are very straight forward in my experience.

If you don't mind, what were your stats like?

2.8 gpa, 30 R MCAT, outstanding EC's, great LORs. I have 2 M.D. interviews under my belt and still waiting to hear back so if all else falls through I'll be here! :luck: to all

Hello - I have just sent in my application for the post-bacc program. Here on SDN everyone seems to concur that if we have better that 3.0 gpa in the program and better than 23 MCAT, we are guaranteed an interview and then, barring anything unusual, will be accepted. However, on the actual LECOM website it states that there are no guarantees. Is it just unwritten word of mouth from the admissions office? I am excited about the program for the supposed guarantee reasons plus the opportunity to jump back into academia (graduated in 2006). I hope the class size doesn't get so big and that the guarantee is really true or else I may not spend the money since my grades are already good. I have not, however, taken the MCAT yet. I'm studying away here to take it in the summer. I hope I do not need to have already taken it to be admitted to the program?

I just got a confirmation email from admissions that my application is received. However, I was under the impression that the MCAT did not need to be taken yet for acceptance into the post-baccalaureate program. I have seen in previous threads that others actually took the MCAT while they were in the program. Does anyone have any information on this? I have emailed the admissions office on this, but would like to hear how others are handling this, too. Thanks.:)

I just got a confirmation email from admissions that my application is received. However, I was under the impression that the MCAT did not need to be taken yet for acceptance into the post-baccalaureate program. I have seen in previous threads that others actually took the MCAT while they were in the program. Does anyone have any information on this? I have emailed the admissions office on this, but would like to hear how others are handling this, too. Thanks.:)

I'm pretty sure you are required to have taken the MCAT, those who retake it during the year are re-taking it so they meet the minimum for the "guaranteed acceptance."

I'm pretty sure you are required to have taken the MCAT, those who retake it during the year are re-taking it so they meet the minimum for the "guaranteed acceptance."

Thanks for the reply. This is good to know (and I wish I had known before I did the application...my bad).

Im pretty sure the MCAT needs to be taken but there may be an off chance that its not. You could always call and talk to admissions to find out for sure.

IMO if your grades are good (which you said they are), do well on your MCAT and have the extracurriculars you would probably be better off applying next cycle to either allo or osteo. You would save yourself the 14 grand tuition plus living cost and your also not taking the chance of doing poorly in the post bacc and screwing your chances up.

Im pretty sure the MCAT needs to be taken but there may be an off chance that its not. You could always call and talk to admissions to find out for sure.

IMO if your grades are good (which you said they are), do well on your MCAT and have the extracurriculars you would probably be better off applying next cycle to either allo or osteo. You would save yourself the 14 grand tuition plus living cost and your also not taking the chance of doing poorly in the post bacc and screwing your chances up.

Yes. I think you're right. This is what I'm mulling over now. My gpa is 3.95 from an Ivy League school. It's just that I've been out of school for a few years and thought the post-bacc would help me get back into the swing of studying. But I am currently studying for the MCAT and don't want to be cut short in my prep for that by having to take the test early just to be accepted into post-bacc. Maybe I CAN just take the MCAT when I'm ready (late summer) and just skip the post-bacc (and not actually damage my good gpa...that would be awful). Plus the extra post-bacc expense....yeah, the more I think of it, the more I agree. Plus, I also have to hook up and shadow with a D.O. for a letter somehow in the midst of it all! Busy, busy! Thanks for your input. It helps!

Yes. I think you're right. This is what I'm mulling over now. My gpa is 3.95 from an Ivy League school. It's just that I've been out of school for a few years and thought the post-bacc would help me get back into the swing of studying. But I am currently studying for the MCAT and don't want to be cut short in my prep for that by having to take the test early just to be accepted into post-bacc. Maybe I CAN just take the MCAT when I'm ready (late summer) and just skip the post-bacc (and not actually damage my good gpa...that would be awful). Plus the extra post-bacc expense....yeah, the more I think of it, the more I agree. Plus, I also have to hook up and shadow with a D.O. for a letter somehow in the midst of it all! Busy, busy! Thanks for your input. It helps!

Focus on the MCAT and the MCAT alone. With your GPA and a 30+ MCAT, MANY doors will open for you, assuming you haven't been out of school longer than 10 years and you have normal social skills. Seriously, don't rush taking the MCAT. Go all out studying for it (check out the 30+ threads and Sn2ed's threads) and nail that thing to the wall; attack the test like it's your job. Your money and time is much better spent there, at this stage in the game. Revisit the post-bac idea if plan A doesn't work out for you.

Hey Dharma,
Are you currently a post bacc student at Lecom?

Focus on the MCAT and the MCAT alone. With your GPA and a 30+ MCAT, MANY doors will open for you, assuming you haven't been out of school longer than 10 years and you have normal social skills. Seriously, don't rush taking the MCAT. Go all out studying for it (check out the 30+ threads and Sn2ed's threads) and nail that thing to the wall; attack the test like it's your job. Your money and time is much better spent there, at this stage in the game. Revisit the post-bac idea if plan A doesn't work out for you.

Yes. I think I'm convinced to just go ahead and apply after studying my brain out for the MCAT and skip the post-bacc. I like what you said about revisiting that post-bacc idea if plan A doesn't work. I have nothing to lose by just applying, and everything to gain/save ($14,000 tuition plus living expenses). This is why I think SDN is so great. Thanks you guys for the great insight and advice! (You're so smart I'm sure you'll make great doctors).

Has anyone had their status changed to under review but still has their transcripts marked as incomplete in the folder items (with a red X next to it)? I sent my transcripts awhile back and the tracking shows that they reached.

Yes, mine was listed as "under review" before they received the transcripts.

For those who have already been accepted (or know for a fact):

Do you need to graduate undergrad before they will consider your application? AKA were you accepted while completing your undergrad degree?

For those who have already been accepted (or know for a fact):

Do you need to graduate undergrad before they will consider your application? AKA were you accepted while completing your undergrad degree?

No you don't need to have graduated, I am finishing my senior year of undergrad.

I have a question. I will be applying for next year. My GPA is fine ~ 3.8 both science and cumulative but my mcat is really weird and unbalanced but its over 23 10/5/10 ... would they accept me or they need above a certain minimum on each section.

One more question, I saw Touro Masters Program ~ it also has the guaranteed admission as long as you maintain 3.5 GPA. If you guys have considerd it, which one would you think is better ... Touro or Lecom

http://www.touro.edu/med/docs/MastersProgram.pdf

Thank you

I have a question. I will be applying for next year. My GPA is fine ~ 3.8 both science and cumulative but my mcat is really weird and unbalanced but its over 23 10/5/10 ... would they accept me or they need above a certain minimum on each section.

One more question, I saw Touro Masters Program ~ it also has the guaranteed admission as long as you maintain 3.5 GPA. If you guys have considerd it, which one would you think is better ... Touro or Lecom

Thank you

IMO, why on earth are you doing a postbac?!

Spend your time studying for the MCAT and get a 30+.

Thanks! Jamie kind of made it seem like we had to graduate before we applied - regardless i went ahead and sent my transcript just in case..
under review..

hopefully a decision will be made soon! i dont like not knowing where i'll be yet!

Thank you
I'm in very much the same position as you are. My GPA is 3.95 but I have not yet taken the MCAT. After thinking for the longest time that I was going to do the post-bacc at LECOM, people started advising me that I really needed to concentrate my efforts on studying for the MCAT. They said, in fact, that I might jeopardize my high GPA by taking the post-bacc and not doing as well in it as I've done previously. I get the strong impression that the post-bacc is for idividuals who need to up their GPA and who have already taken the MCAT (quite the opposite of my personal situation). The post-bacc is $14,000 plus room and board. The Kaplan MCAT complete set is $100. I think I'm going with the MCAT.

I get the strong impression that the post-bacc is for idividuals who need to up their GPA and who have already taken the MCAT (quite the opposite of my personal situation).

To shed some light on my situation for comparison sake, both my GPAs are hovering around 3.0 and my MCAT is either on par or above average for all the D.O. schools.

SMPs and certificate programs are for people like me.

IMO, why on earth are you doing a postbac?!

Spend your time studying for the MCAT and get a 30+.

I'm in very much the same position as you are. My GPA is 3.95 but I have not yet taken the MCAT. After thinking for the longest time that I was going to do the post-bacc at LECOM, people started advising me that I really needed to concentrate my efforts on studying for the MCAT. They said, in fact, that I might jeopardize my high GPA by taking the post-bacc and not doing as well in it as I've done previously. I get the strong impression that the post-bacc is for idividuals who need to up their GPA and who have already taken the MCAT (quite the opposite of my personal situation). The post-bacc is $14,000 plus room and board. The Kaplan MCAT complete set is $100. I think I'm going with the MCAT.

Well as much as I would like to get 30+ on the MCAT, and I am even prepared to study for it if I know I can get it ... but that is not the truth. I am sure I can raise my sciences by 2 points or so but verbal is my main problem. I already took the MCAT twice, first attempt 8/5/9 and this time 10/5/10. I just don't want to waste another year, and a third attempt trying to work on my verbal. So yes, I am looking for an easy way out but its the realistic one also.

Also, english is my second language. I came to US in 2008 for the first time. Before that I didn't have any deep exposure to english language ... I worked hard and did OK in securing my GPA but VR is what holding me back.

I would really appreciate it if you guys know the answer to my previous question (in the previous post) ... thanks

Also, english is my second language. I came to US in 2008 for the first time. Before that I didn't have any deep exposure to english language ... I worked hard and did OK in securing my GPA but VR is what holding me back.

I would really appreciate it if you guys know the answer to my previous question (in the previous post) ... thanks

That was actually going to be another question I asked you. Have you already applied to schools?

Sorry I don't know a perfect answer for your question, a phone call or email will get you the answer straight from the source. I found TOURO to be rather helpful.

That was actually going to be another question I asked you. Have you already applied to schools?

Sorry I don't know a perfect answer for your question, a phone call or email will get you the answer straight from the source. I found TOURO to be rather helpful.

No I haven't ... I am pretty sure no one would accept me with a 5 ... they need atleast a 6 in each section or so I have heard.

And thanks for the help, I will email/call them.

No I haven't ... I am pretty sure no one would accept me with a 5 ... they need atleast a 6 in each section or so I have heard.

And thanks for the help, I will email/call them.

That is where there is the personal statement, ham up the ESL. My thoughts are as long as you didn't go to no-name-small-town University you are on solid ground (yes the 5 on VR is an eye-brow raiser). Obviously you can handle coursework and sciences, but just not the verbal part of the MCAT. I 100% recommend calling admissions counselors at schools you are interested in and getting their opinion on that matter.

How long after all of your information was submitted did your portal status change? Mine has been under review for a month!

How long after all of your information was submitted did your portal status change? Mine has been under review for a month!

I think that it says that soon after you submit your application. Are your LOR and your transcript boxes marked received? If so, then I wold email J. Murphy to inquire. If those items are not checked, and if you know for certain they were sent a while ago, I would also check with J. Murphy to see if he's received them. Hope you straighten it out soon.

I think that it says that soon after you submit your application. Are your LOR and your transcript boxes marked received? If so, then I wold email J. Murphy to inquire. If those items are not checked, and if you know for certain they were sent a while ago, I would also check with J. Murphy to see if he's received them. Hope you straighten it out soon.

Yes they are all marked as received - I emailed Jamie again ( I feel like I will get rejected because I have emailed him so much about various questions! ) and am waiting to hear back. I also attached my additional volunteer experiences/work experiences in that email so I guess it is a good thing they haven't made a decision yet. My application isn't strong without listing all of those volunteer/work experiences..

Hopefully I will find out soon - I would love to join you guys in the fall and strengthen my application!! :luck:

Yes they are all marked as received - I emailed Jamie again ( I feel like I will get rejected because I have emailed him so much about various questions! ) and am waiting to hear back. I also attached my additional volunteer experiences/work experiences in that email so I guess it is a good thing they haven't made a decision yet. My application isn't strong without listing all of those volunteer/work experiences..

Hopefully I will find out soon - I would love to join you guys in the fall and strengthen my application!! :luck:

I'm sure you will be hearing something soon. Best of luck and hope to meet you!

Thanks!! Still waiting!

Anyone have an idea of what the acceptance rate is for this program? From the posts, it seems high. It seems like people rarely post when they do not get accepted (I understand why, but interesting to note the stats of those who don't get accepted).

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't know if you have seen the underdog medical school forum but they have a list of everyone with stats and if they were accepted and where. It would be nice to set that up for this program so people know where they stand with getting accepted.

With the rolling admission, I think that if you meet the requirements and apply early enough before the class is full, you will be accepted. However, I did hear of one person who had a DUI or something like that and didn't get in.

I've been wondering the same thing. I don't know if you have seen the underdog medical school forum but they have a list of everyone with stats and if they were accepted and where. It would be nice to set that up for this program so people know where they stand with getting accepted.

I'll help you out:
-3.2 cGPA, 2.7 sGPA in Physiology from a rather well-known private university in the top 10 for number of graduates accepted to medical school
-27Q MCAT <---didn't study, thought about retaking, but not now
-plenty of ECs and more volunteering
-working in state mental hospital as a psychiatric developmental technician (somewhat of a CNA equivalent in the mental health industry, minus the butt-wiping)

Appreciate the help. Yeah I'm right on par with those stats. 3.1 cGpa and sGPa with a 26 mcat. Volunteer expierences. 30 hrs a week of chem lab work for the last 3 years.

I won't be applying to the program until mid march, after the quarter, so hopefully they are not full.

I'm spot on with those statistics too. Hopefully all goes well for us.. still waiting for my portal to change from 'under review' to 'a decision has been made.' I emailed Jamie about this and he said it would change soon.. so anxious! I actually feel like its kind of late in the cycle for some reason - I wish we knew how many are currently accepted/what their stats are but no one seems to be posting. Oh well.

Do you guys know if they meet a certain day of the week to make these decisions/day of the month? Maybe I just happened to apply right after they had already met.

ALSO, does anyone else (who has not been accepted yet) have access to the "Bookstore", "Financial Aid" and "My Pages" tab?

I believe they just popped up today.. not sure if they have always been there or if I have just never noticed.

ALSO, does anyone else (who has not been accepted yet) have access to the "Bookstore", "Financial Aid" and "My Pages" tab?

I believe they just popped up today.. not sure if they have always been there or if I have just never noticed.

Its available on mine and I haven't applied yet