LECOM ERIE vs Seton Hill

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dangit

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised that I haven't found more discussion about this, but I was hoping if someone could provide some insight. i heard that you have to rank the schools at the interview in terms of preference. i heard that the weather in seton hill is a lil better than erie (ie less snow, not as cold). also it's closer to pittsburgh. then again, erie's campus is more established and whatnot. i'm not sure how to rank. pbl vs lbl... doesn't really matter. i could work with both. heck, i don't even know if pbl is really better because i've never done it. it just sounds good in theory, u know?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey man, I have talked to alot of people about PBL. People who go through the PBL pathway tend to do better on boards and have a higher pass rate. After my interview at NYCOM though and NSU, it was brought to my attention that it is the type of people who enroll in PBL. They are students who are usually more pro-active about the learning process. This said, it doesn't mean that it can't be done in the LDP pathway. Ultimately, after hearing about PBL or doing the mock PBL session at your interview choose the appropriate rankings for the different program. Hope this helped some what.

Ahhh...soo if you think you want to do PBL and want the nicer weather, go for Seton Hill, but i would visit it to see the facilities first...

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm surprised that I haven't found more discussion about this, but I was hoping if someone could provide some insight. i heard that you have to rank the schools at the interview in terms of preference. i heard that the weather in seton hill is a lil better than erie (ie less snow, not as cold). also it's closer to pittsburgh. then again, erie's campus is more established and whatnot. i'm not sure how to rank. pbl vs lbl... doesn't really matter. i could work with both. heck, i don't even know if pbl is really better because i've never done it. it just sounds good in theory, u know?

I graduated from Seton Hill waaaay back in 1995 when it was an all women's college. I absolutely LOVED the school and campus. We played Erie in basketball and I can tell you the weather is much more extreme in Erie. Seton Hill is in Greensburg, PA, a short 30-40 minute drive into Pittsburgh. Greensburg is a quaint town and has a cute little downtown. The campus is stunning. It has a winding drive up the 'Hill' to the campus. The older part of the campus has gorgeous buildings. My last dorm room was enormous with old wood floors and antique furniture overlooking the drive down the hill. I have not been there since they became co-ed and built the new athletic facility.

I got my degree in Biology from SHC and we had small, hands-on classes. I played 3 sports and the comraderie was incredible. I just received my Alum magazine and heard about the DO school coming to the Hill. How exciting. The president of Seton Hill, JoAnne Boyle, is amazing. She will make sure everything is right. There are only 2000 students on campus, so you will know everyone. I only wish this program has been in existence when i went there.

I am totally biased, but cannot say enough good things about the campus, area and school.

Good Luck wherever you end up! :luck:

Ahhh...soo if you think you want to do PBL and want the nicer weather, go for Seton Hill, but i would visit it to see the facilities first...

just wondering, is there any study on the correlation between boards results vs pbl/lbl learning?

There also is an absence of a cadaver lab at Seton Hill, or so I read on SDN. A lot of people like the idea of PBL, however, the percentage that actually do well in it is less. When you interview at Erie, there is an optional mock PBL session. Be sure to use it. It however, should be taken with a grain of salt in that not all PBL is going to be like that session and within the school it probably varies depending on your cases given, stress, system being studied, etc.

just wondering, is there any study on the correlation between boards results vs pbl/lbl learning?

I was told there was not at my NYCOM interview.....

If you do PBL at either erie or seton hill, u dont use cadavers. Although if your at erie i think u still have the anatomy lab there so you can go in and see it. You dont have this option at seton hill

Yep no cadaver lab in Seton Hill or in Erie for PBL - both locations have to be identical. HOWEVER, at Erie, you can still go into the labs in off hours and on the weekends to study/view/review the bodies. So there is a small benefit to the Erie PBL campus. Also, if you are at Seton Hill the weather is MUCH better and very close to Pittsburgh but you can go up to Erie and access their facilities i.e. gross lab..

I know they are in the process of equiping two buildings at Seton Hill, which i do not think is finished, although the admin. spoke that they would have an accepted students day.

It is easier to switch into Lecture from PBL and next to impossible to do the reverse ... you can always start PBL and go to lecture if you feel its really not for you.

Hope this helps a bit!!

When I interviewed, we talked to the guy in charge of setting up the 3D cadaver software between Erie and Seton Hill. He said the students at Seton Hill MAY get a chance to go into the cadaver labs that the PA or NP (I can't remember which) students use. He didn't sound too optimistic but said it was always a possibility to set this up.

I am accepted to both LECOM Seton Hill and LECOM Bradenton (yaaaaaaay!!! :) i'm very excited), and I'm wondering if anyone can help with this difficult decision. I would like to stay closer to family (in Ohio) but I am worried about being the first class at Seton Hill and what kinds of frustrations mights come with that. Does anyone have any advice/insight on choosing a school because it is close to home versus choosing a school because it is more established? i know that Bradenton is very new too, but they've already had a few years to work out the kinks...and the board score results show that they are very successful! Thanks for any thoughts...

I wouldn't look at Seton Hill as a "new" school with a new program. I think you don't have to worry about kinks except for maybe in technology, as it is going to be the exact same program and model that the Erie campus has been using.

I also believe - although i would double check on this - that the clinical years 3 and 4 are run the same way as Erie and you have the same choices, esp. if you want to stay in rotate in Pittsburgh, or in your case going to Ohio. Seton Hill people will not be told you can only rotate in Greensburg.

So i wouldn't worry that you are going to a new school, which is untested in boards and residency, it is in essence still Erie, much more so then the Brandeton campus. So look at LECOM-Erie and their results with boards and match, because Seton Hill not getting a separate admin or dean - it is the same as Erie campus.

Just my thoughts and what i have been told and experienced .. but please someone else comment on this if you think i am way off!!

At LECOM-Erie, all pathways are in lecture and the anatomy labs dissecting cadavers or learning off of a prosected body for the first 12 weeks of school.

Members don't see this ad :)
People who go through the PBL pathway tend to do better on boards and have a higher pass rate.. They are students who are usually more pro-active about the learning process..

I don't think this is true at all. As other people have pointed out, there is no evidence that PBL is the better route for everyone. Asking which is better, lecture-based or PBL based learning, is like asking for a favourite colour. And the research shows inconsistencies in terms of what is taught in PBL, how the sessions are run, etc

To the OP: what did you choose in the end???

I wouldn't look at Seton Hill as a "new" school with a new program. I think you don't have to worry about kinks except for maybe in technology, as it is going to be the exact same program and model that the Erie campus has been using.

I also believe - although i would double check on this - that the clinical years 3 and 4 are run the same way as Erie and you have the same choices, esp. if you want to stay in rotate in Pittsburgh, or in your case going to Ohio. Seton Hill people will not be told you can only rotate in Greensburg.

So i wouldn't worry that you are going to a new school, which is untested in boards and residency, it is in essence still Erie, much more so then the Brandeton campus. So look at LECOM-Erie and their results with boards and match, because Seton Hill not getting a separate admin or dean - it is the same as Erie campus.

Just my thoughts and what i have been told and experienced .. but please someone else comment on this if you think i am way off!!

Yeah, I pretty much agree. When I was deciding between Erie and Seton Hill, I looked at Seton Hill as an extension of the Erie campus. The PBL program itself should be the same on both campuses.

One thing I am concerned about, however, is the number of opportunities for community service and/or extracurricular activities, like the ones established in Erie (e.g., Bridging the Gap, LECOM mentoring for kids, student clubs, etc.). Anyone have any insight on this, or will we just have to start our own thing?

I think we will have to start our own! I am between Seton Hill and ATSU/SOMA but about 99.8% positive about Seton Hill. But i think we can maybe contact some of the groups up in Erie and they might be able to tell us how to get a chapter started down in Seton Hill with clubs, etc.. We might even be able to piggy back with some of the volunteer organizations that the undergrads have and just form a LECOM group within??

Just some ideas!

Seton Hill people will not be told you can only rotate in Greensburg.

What are you saying? that we can only rotate in Greensburg and they are keeping it from us? or that they won't tell us that because we have the choice to rotate wherever?

Just putting this smiley here cuz it made me giggle :smuggrin: hahaha!

hahah, yeah, i guess that does read kinda funky! :laugh:

I have in an email from the VP of LECOM-Seton Hill that we will have the same clinical rotation sites available to us as the Erie students. Granted, SH has added clinical sites in Greensburg and people will have to rotate there (both Erie and SH students) but, for example, if you have your heart set on Cleveland to rotate it shouldn't be an issue! (me, i want pittsburgh - allll miiinneee heheeh :laugh:)

Yep no cadaver lab in Seton Hill or in Erie for PBL - both locations have to be identical. HOWEVER, at Erie, you can still go into the labs in off hours and on the weekends to study/view/review the bodies. So there is a small benefit to the Erie PBL campus. Also, if you are at Seton Hill the weather is MUCH better and very close to Pittsburgh but you can go up to Erie and access their facilities i.e. gross lab..

Hope this helps a bit!!
Are you really going to want to drive 2.5 hours to Erie? No. I would highly consider the advantages of the cadaver lab and go to Erie. I really can't believe any medical school (or franchise extension) would be without one, it's ridiculous.

Are you really going to want to drive 2.5 hours to Erie? No. I would highly consider the advantages of the cadaver lab and go to Erie. I really can't believe any medical school (or franchise extension) would be without one, it's ridiculous.

Well, I think today's high definition technology has made the use of cadavers obsolete. There are some excellent resources online that one can use to study anatomy. One could perhaps even argue that spending hours digging around fat tissue is not as productive as seeing high quality photos and videos of cadavers dissected by professionals.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi friends,

Not to continue the anatomy/cadaver debate, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question anywhere. I know LECOM-SH is building a new health and sciences center scheduled to open Fall 2015. The documents state that it is going to include a cadaver lab for PA students. Can any current LECOM-SH student (or someone in the know) help clarify this? If it's true, I can't imagine DO students would be denied these resources. Info on the center can be found HERE, and the section I'm referring to is on the 7th page of the presentation.

Thanks either way, and good luck to you all!

Hi friends,

Not to continue the anatomy/cadaver debate, but I can't seem to find an answer to my question anywhere. I know LECOM-SH is building a new health and sciences center scheduled to open Fall 2015. The documents state that it is going to include a cadaver lab for PA students. Can any current LECOM-SH student (or someone in the know) help clarify this? If it's true, I can't imagine DO students would be denied these resources. Info on the center can be found HERE, and the section I'm referring to is on the 7th page of the presentation.

It's for the PA students, LECOM won't have use of these facilities. At least that's what the word is on the streets.

It's for the PA students, LECOM won't have use of these facilities. At least that's what the word is on the streets.

Ok thanks kderekb! That agrees with what I've been finding.

Hi friends,

That's not a LECOM building, that's a SHU building. The PA program is with SHU, not LECOM. From what I've heard, LECOM-SH might try and make an agreement with them to do trips to the PA cadaver lab, but nothing is guaranteed and no one knows if/when that would happen, so I wouldn't base any decision on that.

That's not a LECOM building, that's a SHU building. The PA program is with SHU, not LECOM. From what I've heard, LECOM-SH might try and make an agreement with them to do trips to the PA cadaver lab, but nothing is guaranteed and no one knows if/when that would happen, so I wouldn't base any decision on that.
thats a shame. I think LECOM-SH has some of the barest and worst designed facilities of any DO school. tiny library, old lecture hall shared with SHU, OMM lab in some random multipurpose space, and a small ring of offices/PBL rooms. In 3 disconnected buildings. And 15 minutes up a hill from the nearest parking lot.

thankfully as a PBL student, one does not have to be on campus very often. (disclaimer: I am not a student there)

Last edited:
thats a shame. I think LECOM-SH has some of the barest and worst designed facilities of any DO school. tiny library, old lecture hall shared with SHU, OMM lab in some random multipurpose space, and a small ring of offices/PBL rooms. In 3 disconnected buildings. And 15 minutes up a hill from the nearest parking lot.

thankfully as a PBL student, one does not have to be on campus very often. (disclaimer: I am not a student there)
Dang, Zoidberg, just when I thought.....

To be fair, the walk is 5-7 min, and the facilities are in 2 buildings that are practically across the street (internal street/drive on SHU campus) from each other. Also I'm not sure what you mean by the OMM lab being in a "multipurpose room". I was under the impression it was only used for OMM and it looks almost identical to the 4 or 5 other OMM rooms I've seen at other COMs (rectangular room, rows and columns of OMT tables, multiple flat panel TVs to see what's going on at the front of the room, etc.).

As far as the study area/library goes, I believe students use the library & PBL rooms for studying, and since it's on an undergrad campus, they can use any SHU facility without being in dress code or anything like that (but honestly why even stay on campus when you can study at home). PBL really doesn't require more than a single lecture hall and a string of PBL rooms. It's definitely the bare minimum, but it's not like it's missing something (besides the aforementioned cadaver lab, but Erie PBL doesn't really get that either).

To be fair, the walk is 5-7 min, and the facilities are in 2 buildings that are practically across the street (internal street/drive on SHU campus) from each other. Also I'm not sure what you mean by the OMM lab being in a "multipurpose room". I was under the impression it was only used for OMM and it looks almost identical to the 4 or 5 other OMM rooms I've seen at other COMs (rectangular room, rows and columns of OMT tables, multiple flat panel TVs to see what's going on at the front of the room, etc.).

LECOM's sharing of facilities with SHU is actually one of its greatest advantages. We can use almost all of SHU's space, but they don't use any of ours. LECOM has access to SHU's now-enlarged library (SHU just completed expansion on it this past fall) as well as its own private library. I've never seen our lecture hall used by SHU. The OMM room is used for OMM and occasionally for meetings, but never by SHU. We use their cafeteria, quad, gym, and just about every space other than their dorm rooms.

To second Hallowmann, LECOM has exactly what is needed for a PBL facility (with the exception of extra office space, but that doesn't affect the students). Would it be nice to have cutting-edge technology and simulation labs and cadavers? Of course. But they're not necessary to produce fine physicians.

Thanks for the insight on this guys. I agree cadavers are NOT necessary to create great docs, but I can't escape the thought that I would go nuts studying anatomy using digital resources while a brand new, yet virtually inaccessible cadaver lab sat right across the street. This, of course, is a personal preference, and I appreciate everyone's help on the matter. I'm still super excited to visit campus and learn about it firsthand.