LECOM Erie tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_or_Die

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have read many negative things about this school, I have stats that I believe could get me into some of the "better" DO schools or maybe even state MD, but I am attracted by the price of the tuition. I am interested in primary care, but don't feel it would make sense financially to wind up $300k in the hole doing a more lowly paid specialty. Would it be a wrong decision to go to LECOM only for the fact that it is one of the more affordable schools? I am a non trad and would like to be debt free as soon as possible and still be able to buy a home, save for retirement.

Members don't see this ad.

Medical school is an investment in your future, and I think it is absolutely reasonable to want to go to a school with lower tuition, and LECOM seems to fit those criteria. As long as you feel the school will fit your career goals, go for it.

Reactions: 2 users
Do your own research before you listen to what others have said on the internet. Check out their outcomes (board scores, residency placements, etc.). Every doctor that practices around me that graduated from LECOM have great reputations as providers. Tbh I don't think the school seems bad at all, the tuition is just an example of that!

From their website, since the 13-14 school year up until the 17-18 school year their 1st time COMLEX pass rates are as follows (for Erie campus): 99.1, 97.5, 96.5, 97.8, 97.8 (not too shabby if you ask me!)

And for their 2019 match results (for both campuses): they had 1 match into ENT, 6 into general surgery, 11 into ortho, 1 into derm, a bunch into radiology, etc....

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've never heard anything bad about LECOM...

Read around. Most of what ive gathered over the years is their mandatory attendance and dress code.

And maybe with LECOM-B’s rotations? But im not 100% on that

Read around. Most of what ive gathered over the years is their mandatory attendance and dress code.

Heck, I'll wear a tutu and SPANX to class with an UBER symbol tattooed to my chest if their tuition is that cheap.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I just can't see how people can say an entire school is bad based on attendance and dress code... sure they aren't ideal but things that really matter (boards, placements, etc) should determine whether a school is good or not.

I just can't see how people can say an entire school is bad based on attendance and dress code... sure they aren't ideal but things that really matter (boards, placements, etc) should determine whether a school is good or not.

Welcome to SDN, the place where people say schools are bad for arbitrary reasons. (Ive seen people call my school the Caribbean of USMD.. so)

• Sad
Welcome to SDN, the place where people say schools are bad for arbitrary reasons. (Ive seen people call my school the Caribbean of USMD.. so)

Unless you go to CNU, that's fake news.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So since CNU was your only acceptance 3 years ago, did you turn it down and re-apply? Did you get asked about it in interviews?

I never applied to CNU.

People have called Drexel the Caribbean of USMD before and that is what i was alluding to.

I never applied to CNU.

People have called Drexel the Caribbean of USMD before and that is what i was alluding to.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Because your response to my CNU post made it seem like CNU was your only acceptance.

Do your own research before you listen to what others have said on the internet. Check out their outcomes (board scores, residency placements, etc.). Every doctor that practices around me that graduated from LECOM have great reputations as providers. Tbh I don't think the school seems bad at all, the tuition is just an example of that!

From their website, since the 13-14 school year up until the 17-18 school year their 1st time COMLEX pass rates are as follows (for Erie campus): 99.1, 97.5, 96.5, 97.8, 97.8 (not too shabby if you ask me!)

And for their 2019 match results (for both campuses): they had 1 match into ENT, 6 into general surgery, 11 into ortho, 1 into derm, a bunch into radiology, etc....
Well when you put it like that, that makes my thinking seem silly. There is just so much negativity on SDN. I think I will still submit the secondary and if I get a II I will go. Thank you!

I have read many negative things about this school, I have stats that I believe could get me into some of the "better" DO schools or maybe even state MD, but I am attracted by the price of the tuition. I am interested in primary care, but don't feel it would make sense financially to wind up $300k in the hole doing a more lowly paid specialty. Would it be a wrong decision to go to LECOM only for the fact that it is one of the more affordable schools? I am a non trad and would like to be debt free as soon as possible and still be able to buy a home, save for retirement.

The school is fine, and it'll get you where you need to be. Lots of people go because of the price. Mandatory attendance can be a pain, especially if you're in the LDP program, because its just a lot of time in class and not a ton of time available to study on your own. People do it every year though. PBL class time is probably close to that of most schools (all schools have some form of "required" lectures, so actual time on campus shouldn't be all that different). The education is good and the board scores speak for themselves.

That said, if you get into an MD school, you should go there, even if its a school with almost double the tuition of LECOM, like Drexel, which just lost its main clinical hospital to bankruptcy/closure and apparently per this thread has the reputation of "the Caribbean of US MD," whatever that means. You might love primary care as a pre-med, but going MD will afford you more options if you hit 3rd year and realize you love surgery (most people do something other than what they thought they'd want). And I'm saying this as someone who loves primary care.

I never applied to CNU.

The loss of Hahnemann is rough, but its a solid school. I have a number of friends that went there.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with LECOM-Erie or Seton Hill. Heard some things about LECOM-B.
Mandatory dress and attendance? If that's anything like VCOM-CC, then it's loosely implicated and really isn't an issue at all.

LECOM-E is an pretty old school and that tuition is amazing. Unless you got into MSUCOM or PCOM, go there.

I turned down lecom for another “better” DO school. Lecom just made me nervous. The student who gave the tour was actively having a mental breakdown. The other students looked so miserable. I chose my school because it wasn’t so cramped. The students talked up the school as being a big family and everyone enjoyed their time there and felt like the school was preparing them well.

I made a mistake.

My school just did a good job marketing itself to students and selected students who would help sell the school. Nothing magical about any DO school. Pick the cheapest one. I’m gonna pay ~80k for the same career opportunities.

Reactions: 1 users
Nothing wrong with LECOM-Erie or Seton Hill. Heard some things about LECOM-B.
Mandatory dress and attendance? If that's anything like VCOM-CC, then it's loosely implicated and really isn't an issue at all.

LECOM-E is an pretty old school and that tuition is amazing. Unless you got into MSUCOM or PCOM, go there.

Dress code is a bigger deal at LECOM-Erie because admin are basically right there and even security is often in on it. Its not too bad for women, but men have to wear a dress shirt, dress pants and a tie. Women can just wear dress pants and a plain shirt/sweater and no one would notice.

Not sure how LECOM-Elmira is going to be, but like closer to LECOM-SH than anything else. Bradenton has had issues with rotations and preparing people for the PE in the past. These may still be issues.

Doesn't matter where you go to school, only your USMLE STEP score. Everything else is personal preference. Everyone has things about their school they arent happy with. LECOM might have more but its the risk you take for cheaper tuition

I usually only see people who never attended the school say that people should really consider it.

Also, as for the matches you mention, they also have nearly 600 students across their campuses, some of whom were already PAs who practiced medicine and have connections and experience with not only working in the field, but also similar rotations, and some similar coursework as well (keeping in mind they have the APAP program, which specifically attracts PAs).

It's WELL beyond the dress code and attendance.

Doesn't matter where you go to school, only your USMLE STEP score. Everything else is personal preference. Everyone has things about their school they arent happy with. LECOM might have more but its the risk you take for cheaper tuition

hope that is not going to change anytime soon ;)

It does matter if you go to an MD vs DO school. Beyond that Boards are the main factor.
The talk of making boards P/F will cut out IMG's, but doom DO's out of surgery, etc.

I usually only see people who never attended the school say that people should really consider it.

Also, as for the matches you mention, they also have nearly 600 students across their campuses, some of whom were already PAs who practiced medicine and have connections and experience with not only working in the field, but also similar rotations, and some similar coursework as well (keeping in mind they have the APAP program, which specifically attracts PAs).

It's WELL beyond the dress code and attendance.

I went there. People should consider it. There.

Admin is overbearing, but as a school its solid, cheap, and gets you where you need to go. Also, I'm pretty sure that quote was listing placement from the PA campuses, which together are like 400 people (you know not far off from the size of schools like NYCOM), not 600. And only a handful of people are in the APAP program. I recall <10 the year I finished, and maybe 1-2 went into particularly competitive fields.

I went there. People should consider it. There.

Admin is overbearing, but as a school its solid, cheap, and gets you where you need to go. Also, I'm pretty sure that quote was listing placement from the PA campuses, which together are like 400 people (you know not far off from the size of schools like NYCOM), not 600. And only a handful of people are in the APAP program. I recall <10 the year I finished, and maybe 1-2 went into particularly competitive fields.

I also went there. Wouldn’t recommend it for well beyond what either of you mention. Congrats on having a better experience and not knowing the things I’m actually referring to and the reasoning behind the suggestion.

I also went there. Wouldn’t recommend it for well beyond what either of you mention. Congrats on having a better experience and not knowing the things I’m actually referring to and the reasoning behind the suggestion.

I'm sorry you had a worse experience. The name of the game was always keep your head down. Don't draw attention to yourself and do what's expected of you. To be fair though, that was essentially the sentiment of most people from other schools that I met as well. Its funny how many complaints I hear from the MD students at the university I'm training at are exactly the same as the complaints I had at LECOM.

I'll also qualify my comments in that I have very little knowledge of how LECOM-B runs. Its a different system with different, albeit related, admin.

I'm sorry you had a worse experience. The name of the game was always keep your head down. Don't draw attention to yourself and do what's expected of you. To be fair though, that was essentially the sentiment of most people from other schools that I met as well. Its funny how many complaints I hear from the MD students at the university I'm training at are exactly the same as the complaints I had at LECOM.

I'll also qualify my comments in that I have very little knowledge of how LECOM-B runs. Its a different system with different, albeit related, admin.

You just recommended the school, but then go on to state needing to keep your head down and not draw attention. The need to do those things mean something is wrong, though.

You just recommended the school, but then go on to state needing to keep your head down and not draw attention. The need to do those things mean something is wrong, though.

It's all relative. Like I said, I heard the same thing from people at multiple other schools. Keep your head down, don't rock the boat, finish the things they require. I can absolutely say that I've heard the same things from people at multiple schools, MD and DO. Specifically the other schools in PA, NY and on the East coast (schools whose students I either know personally or with whom I've interacted over the last decade). And those schools give you a similar experience with twice the price tag.

We obviously disagree on this. Everyone's tolerance for annoying policies is different. I don't recommend LECOM to people that would not be able to hear random policies that don't always make sense and not try to fight against it.

Last edited:
Local undergrad is very inexpensive. It has chapel requirements and will expel you if empty beer cans are found in your trash. They are quite up front and serious about their policies. If its not for you or if you are unwilling to comply, then dont enroll and complain. Dont go there. Simple.

Well, medical students are adult learners, and should be treated as such, especially considering that there is data showing that passive learning as in lectures are less efficient than active learning.

Local undergrad is very inexpensive. It has chapel requirements and will expel you if empty beer cans are found in your trash. They are quite up front and serious about their policies. If its not for you or if you are unwilling to comply, then dont enroll and complain. Dont go there. Simple.
Isn't this LUCOM? Loma Linda?

It does matter if you go to an MD vs DO school. Beyond that Boards are the main factor.
The talk of making boards P/F will cut out IMG's, but doom DO's out of surgery, etc.

Meh, this is a classic SDN the world is about to end comment. IF you arent trying for derm, vascular surg, plastic surg being a DO wont limit you as much as some people on here would think especially since OP says he wants to go into primary care. Take care of your business, do well on USMLE, and everything will be fine. Going to LECOM to save $$$ can be a smart move

People who complain about LECOMs dress code and food and drink policy are obviously not appreciate of the fact that their tuiton is significantly lower than the rest of the US med schools. They can deal with all that stuff for two years.

This applies to the med school also?

I can sort of understand the undergrad thing since most undergrads are under 21 so the legal aspect plays a role.

This applies to the med school also?

I can sort of understand the undergrad thing since most undergrads are under 21 so the legal aspect plays a role.
It also goes for students of legal drinking age. The school is very up front about their chapel and drinking policies. Guess it's not really local, about an hour away.