LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2010-2011

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When yall sent in your matriculation packet with your physical,immun, ect., did your status change in portal?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck and hang in there to those waiting...:xf: I was just accepted and from NJ looking for advice on housing options-Possibly someone could post some advice on where I should start looking and maybe what to avoid. I welcome any suggestions:)

Congrats!! Just curious when you interviewed and how long after they called you to let you know?? I am still waiting and its killing me!

I'm going to be attending too and i grew up here if you need any help deciding on what neighborhoods to avoid you can just PM me, or anyone else. great piece of advice to start avoid west University.

Hey gatorfann, i thought i read you were going to nova or ccom. Now your coming to lecom b? Sweet, good to know someone from my interview group will also be there :thumbup: what changed your mind

Members don't see this ad :)
if you have any other option, you shouldn't go to LECOM, any campus of LECOM. I am a 3rd year here and my only regret in life is that i have to deal with the people who own LECOM. you may read this and think to yourself, " *shrug*, whatever," but if you do choose LECOM, one day you will know what I am talking about. and then you will have no choice. so choose wisely.

if you have any other option, you shouldn't go to LECOM, any campus of LECOM. I am a 3rd year here and my only regret in life is that i have to deal with the people who own LECOM. you may read this and think to yourself, " *shrug*, whatever," but if you do choose LECOM, one day you will know what I am talking about. and then you will have no choice. so choose wisely.

Why do people feel the need to be cryptic on an anonymous message board?

A post like this does absolutely nothing in helping people who are deciding. Give some details or just refrain from posting.

Why do people feel the need to be cryptic on an anonymous message board?

A post like this does absolutely nothing in helping people who are deciding. Give some details or just refrain from posting.

I couldn't agree more. General negativity does nothing to help anyone make an educated decision not to mention I would be willing to guess 5 - 10% of the student body at any medical school have complaints concerning some issue or another. I think the ability to learn in the PBL setting more than makes up for any other shortfalls! How about you tell us ways in which to stay on the owner's good side so we don't end up upset as yourself.
:)
LECOM ERIE CLASS OF 2015

Obviously his anonymity is gone. The screen name of squirrel7 followed by his post history of 4 posts over the course of 4 years has clearly revealed his identity and saying anything more in this thread would only make his life worse.

Maybe I will learn what you're talking about one day, but I'm not going to alter a decision based on your awesome informative post.

Originally Posted by squirrel7
Obviously his anonymity is gone. The screen name of squirrel7 followed by his post history of 4 posts over the course of 4 years has clearly revealed his identity and saying anything more in this thread would only make his life worse.

Maybe I will learn what you're talking about one day, but I'm not going to alter a decision based on your awesome informative post.
sure they can be difficult to deal with at times but seriously, it's really no big deal. the interaction with them is little at best. this person is cranked up about something but it's a school and they're there to provide you with a degree so you can move on to residency. if LECOM's for you, do it. and yes you always have a choice.

Does anyone know the results from the 2011 match day? I would call down to the school, but I don't want to come across as nosy/pushy. When will they release and post the match list?

Does anyone know the results from the 2011 match day? I would call down to the school, but I don't want to come across as nosy/pushy. When will they release and post the match list?
I am assuming you're meaning the 4th yr match list. it's absolutely useless. at least it was last yr. doesn't show who's going where, just what program at what hospital. usually it's end of apr/may so don't hold you're breath....it'll be awhile

I am assuming you're meaning the 4th yr match list. it's absolutely useless. at least it was last yr. doesn't show who's going where, just what program at what hospital. usually it's end of apr/may so don't hold you're breath....it'll be awhile

Thanks for the info. I noticed about the anonymous match lists from last year. Do you know why that is? I find it useful just to know each program/location macth. Just so I can have an idea of where LECOM DOs are getting residencies.

Thanks for the info. I noticed about the anonymous match lists from last year. Do you know why that is? I find it useful just to know each program/location macth. Just so I can have an idea of where LECOM DOs are getting residencies.

I'm confused, why does the name of the person matter? The 2010 LECOM-B list shows the residency type and the location (i.e. Pediatrics at Emory, Family Med @ Palmetto Health, etc).

Last year I don't think they put out an "official" one until about May, so I wouldn't expect anything real soon.

There are some of us working on putting together an unofficial one just from talking with each other but it's certainly not complete yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last year I don't think they put out an "official" one until about May, so I wouldn't expect anything real soon.

There are some of us working on putting together an unofficial one just from talking with each other but it's certainly not complete yet.

Sooo...I know this is too soon to ask, given what you've just said...but how does it look so far?

Sooo...I know this is too soon to ask, given what you've just said...but how does it look so far?

I don't think all that bad. There's no neurosurg, plastic surg, or derm spots that I know of but I also don't know anyone that was going for those so I tend to judge things more on if people got what they want as opposed to purely on big name matches.

Overall I think most that I know got pretty much what they wanted. From what I've seen/heard on here the MD match seemed especially brutal this year (whether that's true or not) and most got the field they wanted but had to go down a few spots on their list. Was just reading a thread from some MD students doing gen surg and how they were matching like 10 down on their list.

From top of my head: I think we sent a couple to MD gen surg programs, several more to DO and military gen surg programs, few DO ortho, some good MD medicines, several MD anesthsiology spots, a PM&R to Hopkins.....

I don't think all that bad. There's no neurosurg, plastic surg, or derm spots that I know of but I also don't know anyone that was going for those so I tend to judge things more on if people got what they want as opposed to purely on big name matches.

Overall I think most that I know got pretty much what they wanted. From what I've seen/heard on here the MD match seemed especially brutal this year (whether that's true or not) and most got the field they wanted but had to go down a few spots on their list. Was just reading a thread from some MD students doing gen surg and how they were matching like 10 down on their list.

From top of my head: I think we sent a couple to MD gen surg programs, several more to DO and military gen surg programs, few DO ortho, some good MD medicines, several MD anesthsiology spots, a PM&R to Hopkins.....

That's cool, I get that most don't want neurosurgery, etc., and derm is ridiculous for everyone anyways. Do you know of many who got EM? It seemed to be a popular "attainable" choice this year, just wondering. Thanks again, don't mean to belabor the point!

So I sent off my secondary today to LECOM (I realize my application is very late). I am wondering though; what is the average MCAT and GPA here for accepted students?

I'm hoping for an interview...3.6 GPA and 27 MCAT. The lady I spoke to on the phone said it was very competitive at this point and there were not many spots left, but she said my MCAT looked good.

Last edited:
So I sent off my secondary today to LECOM (I realize my application is very late). I am wondering though; what is the average MCAT and GPA here for accepted students?

I'm hoping for an interview...3.6 GPA and 27 MCAT. The lady I spoke to on the phone said it was very competitive at this point and there were not many spots left.

Not to sound cynical but imo you just gave LECOM 50 bucks.

Haha, ok.

Your stats are solid and would have given you really good odds if it were anytime between June-Dec. At this point, I would think unless you've discovered a cure for a pandemic your odds are pretty slim. Crazier things have probably happened and since you've already sent it in, here's hoping the best for you.

Hey guys,
I'm an almost third year med student at LECOM-B, and I didn't interview until mid April. They accepted me a few weeks later. So don't lose hope! (I love it here too btw, PBL is so much fun, and you feel really prepared for board exams).

Also, I am moving up north to start my clinical rotations at the end of May, but I am stuck in my lease until July 31. I live in the nicest apartment complex that LECOM recommends to its students...Its an 800 square foot, 2nd floor, one bedroom apartment with two walk-in closets, and it overlooks a lake. I am giving it to a renter for $500 per month, INCLUDING utilities (I actually pay $749 per month, but I'm discounting the price because I really need to fill the apartment for those two months). Also, you would have the option of RENEWING the lease at the end of July. So basically, you could live in one of the nicer places in Bradenton (lots of LECOM students here) and get really discounted rent for two full months). I can send you pics, whatever you need. Let me know if you're interested. Please be clean, respectful of neighbors, etc.

Crossing my fingers you all get in! (Majority who interviewed will get in).

Hey guys,
I'm an almost third year med student at LECOM-B, and I didn't interview until mid April. They accepted me a few weeks later. So don't lose hope! (I love it here too btw, PBL is so much fun, and you feel really prepared for board exams).

Also, I am moving up north to start my clinical rotations at the end of May, but I am stuck in my lease until July 31. I live in the nicest apartment complex that LECOM recommends to its students...Its an 800 square foot, 2nd floor, one bedroom apartment with two walk-in closets, and it overlooks a lake. I am giving it to a renter for $500 per month, INCLUDING utilities (I actually pay $749 per month, but I'm discounting the price because I really need to fill the apartment for those two months). Also, you would have the option of RENEWING the lease at the end of July. So basically, you could live in one of the nicer places in Bradenton (lots of LECOM students here) and get really discounted rent for two full months). I can send you pics, whatever you need. Let me know if you're interested. Please be clean, respectful of neighbors, etc.

Crossing my fingers you all get in! (Majority who interviewed will get in).
HI, I was just accepted and definitely looking to rent. I was not sure of when but can you PM me with the name of the apartments and how far from LECOM etc. I am from NJ and have no idea of the area. Thanks so much tfor the info- maybe this will make my move a little less stressful! If you do have pictures that would be great too! Congrats and good luck to you!

Just sent you a message, HopingtoBe. Congrats on getting in! (Let me know if you didnt get the message)

Last edited:
Hey gatorfann, i thought i read you were going to nova or ccom. Now your coming to lecom b? Sweet, good to know someone from my interview group will also be there :thumbup: what changed your mind
Not wanting to spend over 100k more to go to CCOM haha

I'm confused, why does the name of the person matter? The 2010 LECOM-B list shows the residency type and the location (i.e. Pediatrics at Emory, Family Med @ Palmetto Health, etc).

Doesn't matter to me at all. LECOM is just the only school I have seen that does it that way. Just wondering. Like I said it is useful just to see the residency/location for each match.

Doesn't matter to me at all. LECOM is just the only school I have seen that does it that way. Just wondering. Like I said it is useful just to see the residency/location for each match.

No, I agree with that. I think someone said that list from last year wasn't actually complete (only 120 matches). Hopefully, the 2011 match list will be complete.

Got my acceptance call from Ron Shively today!! Still can't believe it!

Can all those who were offered acceptance speak a little more about their stats? Hoping people might be more willing to divulge now that the process is over for most of you. LECOM-B is my #1 choice by a long shot (applying this coming cycle) and really hoping to make myself as competitive as possible, or at the very least have a realistic perspective as far as my chances. By the end of the summer I will be 3.5c/3.3sgpa. Taking MCAT on April 29th. I have a 22 on my record for MCAT, however - tho took it under bad circumstances and with little studying. Haven't had much time to study this time, but confident I can do better by my test date. Anyone have any idea of the MCAT score I should need to be competitive if I am am applying June 1st? (first day possible?) Thanks a ton.

Oh, and great LORs and worked full time whole undergrad career as a CNA at a hospital. Avg 40-50 hours per week. Crazy strong upward trend, and first generation college student. Research/volunteering and all that jazz. Thanks again.

Can all those who were offered acceptance speak a little more about their stats? Hoping people might be more willing to divulge now that the process is over for most of you. LECOM-B is my #1 choice by a long shot (applying this coming cycle) and really hoping to make myself as competitive as possible, or at the very least have a realistic perspective as far as my chances. By the end of the summer I will be 3.5c/3.3sgpa. Taking MCAT on April 29th. I have a 22 on my record for MCAT, however - tho took it under bad circumstances and with little studying. Haven't had much time to study this time, but confident I can do better by my test date. Anyone have any idea of the MCAT score I should need to be competitive if I am am applying June 1st? (first day possible?) Thanks a ton.

Oh, and great LORs and worked full time whole undergrad career as a CNA at a hospital. Avg 40-50 hours per week. Crazy strong upward trend, and first generation college student. Research/volunteering and all that jazz. Thanks again.

3.5/3.5
28Q
Complete 9/21
Interview Invite 9/23
Interview 11/29
Accepted 12/1

They work quickly that early in the cycle.

Your GPA seems fine, but I would say get that 22 at least above a 26/27 before you apply

33Q
3.2c /3.0s
4.0 post bac
Interviewed 3/7
Accepted last Monday!

Thanks guys - very helpful. Others please feel free!

I'm a current 2nd year, but here are my stats:

31Q, 3.4 undergrad, 4.0 post-bacc. I interviewed early, in october I believe, and was accepted. Don't regret coming here at all.

If you're looking for a place to live, I strongly recommend contacting a local realtor. You can get a lot better places for the price of most of the apartments close to school in my opinion. If you want cheaper apartments you have to go like 20 mins from school for the most part. Feel free to PM me if you want to know of some good areas.

3.9/3.9
28 O (I choked)
Primary Late June
Secondary Late July
Interviewed Early Oct
Accepted Mid Oct

Like others have said get at least a 5 point increase in MCAT and apply early and you should be good.

3.4 science 3.0 cum
34Q
Applied in summer, interview/accepted oct

Hi everybody!

Where is a good/cost effective place to live for someone looking to live alone? Has anyone heard anything about Carlton Arms? The 1 BR rate doesn't seem too bad compared to the other places in the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also has anyone from this incoming 2015 class received their financial aid award notification e-mail?

Thanks for the help!

Hi everybody!

Also has anyone from this incoming 2015 class received their financial aid award notification e-mail?

Thanks for the help!

Nope, I'm not even sure tuition is officially set for next year. I still can only find last years tuition.

Expect tuition + fees, room & board allowance to come out to a little more than $60k. (62-ish sounds right from memory.) If you take out the max allowed, your excess check is somewhere around $10k/semester, give or take, unless they raise the estimated living expenses. As in everything with money, it sounds like plenty, but doesn't feel like a whole lot when it's what you're living on.

Just FYI, below is quoted from an email sent campus-wide on March 29th. Hopefully they will update the LECOM website soon.
--
The LECOM Board of Trustees has announced the tuition for the 2011-2012 academic year as follows:

The 2011-2012 academic year tuition for the LECOM College of Medicine Bradenton, FL Campus for FL Resident students is $27,780.

The 2011-2012 academic year tuition for the LECOM College of Medicine Bradenton, FL Campus for Non-FL Resident students is $29,785.

The student state residency status is determined at the time of your original matriculation and is maintained for all years of attendance.

Fees and other mandatory charges are not included in the tuition amounts quoted above. Fees and other mandatory charges will be itemized on the Billing Statement.​
--

Awesome, thanks for the update altruist. Since they mentioned a raise in tuition I've been a typical neurotic premed thinking it was going to raise like 8k. I think I can handle a $585 increase.

Hi everybody!

Where is a good/cost effective place to live for someone looking to live alone? Has anyone heard anything about Carlton Arms? The 1 BR rate doesn't seem too bad compared to the other places in the area. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the help!

Carlton Arms is cheap, but it's also old. I don't know how old, but it looks like it was built in the 60s or 70s. It's right on the river, which is nice, but the units are smaller and don't have the high ceilings and updated feel of most of the other complexes around here. With that said, unless you try to find something private (realtor or craigslist) you probably won't find another apartment for that price within 15-20 mins from school. You can find cheaper apartments but it'll be a longer drive (either in distance or just due to traffic).

Any word on waitlist movement?? Ive tried calling the admissions office but they dont seem willing to divulge any information. I keep praying that I get a phone call or letter or email saying that they accepted me off the waitlist. Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Any word on waitlist movement?? Ive tried calling the admissions office but they dont seem willing to divulge any information. I keep praying that I get a phone call or letter or email saying that they accepted me off the waitlist. Guess I'll just have to wait and see...

Welcome to the waiting game of fun! Don't hesitate to post in the official Bradenton waitlist thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=798834 and good luck :luck:

Anyone who got in know when the first day is? I can't remember when they said at the interview and it didn't say anything about that in the information I've received so far.

Anyone who got in know when the first day is? I can't remember when they said at the interview and it didn't say anything about that in the information I've received so far.

copied from the matriculation packet

***Registration and Orientation Dates***
Thursday, July 21 Registration Last Names A-M (times to be determined)
Friday July 22 Registration Last Names N-Z (times to be determined)
Saturday, July 23th Campus Open House for students, family and friends
Monday, July 25th Orientation/Classes Begin

Hi Everyone,

I am going to be a first year DO student starting in July at LECOM-B. My parents own a condo 15 miles from LECOM on a private golf course in Sarasota. They usually rent it out, but now that I will be moving to Florida I will be living there and am looking for a roommate! If you are interested please look at the attachment I have added with some pictures. It is a little corny because this is basically the advertisement my parents had up when they were attracting monthly renters. They are asking $500 a month (I am paying rent too) and it will include everything: cable, internet, utilities, water etc. There is no security deposit. The condo is fully furnished and you will not need to bring anything unless of course you prefer your own bed or bedroom furniture. There is a pool less than a minute walk away, as well as a fitness center, pool, and hot tub at the main club house. Please contact me on Facebook: Jenny Hill, or email me at [email protected] for more information!

Attachments

• sarasota condo.docx
    499.4 KB · Views: 148
secondary finished in september; received "regret to inform you letter" last week. patience is a virtue.

No, I agree with that. I think someone said that list from last year wasn't actually complete (only 120 matches). Hopefully, the 2011 match list will be complete.

It's not that it's incomplete, but there are multiple people in some spots. Three people from Bradenton matched IM at my residency program, for instance. It is listed only once. There are quite a few places where multiple people matched to the same residency program and it is only listed once. I believe there are some programs where more than three Bradenton students matched.