LECOM-Bradenton Discussion Thread 2009-2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is a question to those who are students there currently.

Within bradenton are all the areas pretty safe?

I ask because I have been eying some condos up for foreclosure which I could almost pay for upfront (hence avoiding up to $700 X 48 = $34,000 of rent lost).

The whole problem is I am from Ohio and don't know the Bradenton area well (even though my family use to vacation to Siesta Key for the past 10 years).

Is there anywhere you would avoid living? (I am not super worried about safety as I am a big guy, just don't to move into a real rough area)

Members don't see this ad.

I ask because I have been eying some condos up for foreclosure which I could almost pay for upfront (hence avoiding up to $700 X 48 = $34,000 of rent lost).

The whole problem is I am from Ohio and don't know the Bradenton area well (even though my family use to vacation to Siesta Key for the past 10 years).

Is there anywhere you would avoid living? (I am not super worried about safety as I am a big guy, just don't to move into a real rough area)

Nowhere is REALLY rough, by big city standards. Things just get kinda run down and blue collar the further west you go. As you head west there's a bit more minor crime...but nothing too crazy that I've heard about...

I'd try and stay East of I-75, if you can, or at least close to it. You'll be closer to school, in a nicer area, newer houses, etc...

I know there are some townhouses in Lakewood Ranch going for <100k.

I am buying for the same reason, don't want to lose rent and it's very, very cheap. esp if you live near school in lakewood ranch. with the prices of condos/homes dropping >50% there's really no need to live too far from campus. the only crappy thing is the HOA is high, about $3000/yr. the only area I'd avoid is west bradenton/cortez/downtown areas. there's always a few small pockets of shanty/crack homes but for the most part bradenton is pretty safe. the books keep you so busy, I never really left LWR much. everything you need is within a 5 mi radius. I posted something earlier about my boss moving out and selling her place. it's near school but not as close as LWR. if you're interested, PM me. good luck in school!

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey Link2swim,

I'm in the same boat...trying to buy without knowing the area. They Realtor I've been dealing with is real sharp and seems to know the area extremely well. PM me if you'd like her contact info.

I put an offer for a short sale condo in Summerfield Hollow, literally a 2 minute drive to school. And there are other condos for sale in that area for those of you who are looking. However, so you all know I put an offer in back in early March, and the bank still hasnt responded. If you guys are looking into short sales you have to make the offer quick because its been 2 months for me and I still havent closed on the house.

What I am looking at (2 bedroom condos) are between 40K and 15K (they are all short sales) and from the google street view seem to have a nice exterior.

I am going to PM some of you guys to ask some more questions.

Also Sarah is that typical time of a short sales? I new to buying property but the prices I am seeing just make much more sense to buy than rent. I was hoping to take a trip down there at the end of May to check out some properties, is it not reasonable to have from offer to moving in 1.5 months?

Last edited:
Often the short sales take a very very long time (a number of months) to process through the banks. Bad news if you need to close and move in within two months.

I've been looking though there are a lot of good deals with foreclosures and private sales between 100-150k

I put an offer for a short sale condo in Summerfield Hollow, literally a 2 minute drive to school. And there are other condos for sale in that area for those of you who are looking. However, so you all know I put an offer in back in early March, and the bank still hasnt responded. If you guys are looking into short sales you have to make the offer quick because its been 2 months for me and I still havent closed on the house.
you must be bidding on the one next to my condo! short sale goes 30-90 days, the bank will wait for the best deal, then respond. they don't have to take your bid if they don't want to or keep you on the hook until a better one comes along. you won't know the result or the number of bids. the only way around it is find a short sale that is "pre approved" or "fanny may". they'll move in 30 days typically. also foreclosures move a little quicker.

also check on the other side of LWR, lorraine rd and skip jack loop area. its' only 5 minutes more to drive than summerfield. there are larger homes there, nearly the same price as the condos, for rent/sale. check the area behind the first watch restaurant. I don't remember the name but there's plenty of condos there too. I also posted my boss's condo for sale. good luck, I am doing the same thing but for residency. I feel your pain and frustration

So, I got my MCAT retake scores yesterday and while the score may not seem great to some, I am quite happy and hoping it does the trick!

I took the MCAT back in May 09 and got a 22 O, however, this time around I got a 27 O!!!!!! My breakdown is as follows:

PS: 8 VR: 10 BS: 9 W: O

I was most impressed with my jump in my verbal score. When I took it the first time I was 7 months pregnant and really, really, hot.... I'm talking sweat everywhere. My husband said it looked like I had a run a marathon when I came out of the test! I told my interviewers in October that was the reason for my 6, so I guess I proved that!

I was waitlisted in October, and I'm hoping my new score puts me up higher on the list! Fingers and toes crossed for a spot to open up!!! :xf:

So, I got my MCAT retake scores yesterday and while the score may not seem great to some, I am quite happy and hoping it does the trick!

I took the MCAT back in May 09 and got a 22 O, however, this time around I got a 27 O!!!!!! My breakdown is as follows:

PS: 8 VR: 10 BS: 9 W: O

I was most impressed with my jump in my verbal score. When I took it the first time I was 7 months pregnant and really, really, hot.... I'm talking sweat everywhere. My husband said it looked like I had a run a marathon when I came out of the test! I told my interviewers in October that was the reason for my 6, so I guess I proved that!

I was waitlisted in October, and I'm hoping my new score puts me up higher on the list! Fingers and toes crossed for a spot to open up!!! :xf:
strong work, make sure you notify LECOM

Is there a facebook group for class of 2014? if not i'd like to start it =)

i was wondering what my chances are, i'm applying in june. i am from oklahoma, does lecom prefer in state applicants?

cgpa 3.2
sgpa 3.4

mcat 31K PS7/VR13/BS11

3 1/2 yrs work exp at hospital, nurse aid, urology tech

CNA, AUA licenses

dont know if it helps but i'm also a licensed pilot and aircraft mechanic.

Last edited:
i was wondering what my chances are, i'm applying in june. i am from oklahoma, does lecom prefer in state applicants?

cgpa 3.2
sgpa 3.4

mcat 31K PS7/VR13/BS11

CNA, AUA licenses

shouldn't be any problems....and i am looking for some flying lessons!

Members don't see this ad :)

cgpa 3.2
sgpa 3.4

mcat 31K PS7/VR13/BS11

CNA, AUA licenses

I think you should be good, especially if you apply early like you plan on doing. Your stats are similar to mine, same MCAT and I had 2 years of hospital experience. I am also out of state. The school has traditionally had a little over 50% of students as florida residents. It seems like the trend keeps slowly creeping up (like 48% one year 51% another year). The best thing you can do is read the feedback on here, know what you can about PBL and figure out why you think it is a good fit for you, and apply early. You find out a decision within a week or so of your interview so it really pays to get your stuff in early.

I think you should be good, especially if you apply early like you plan on doing. Your stats are similar to mine, same MCAT and I had 2 years of hospital experience. I am also out of state. The school has traditionally had a little over 50% of students as florida residents. It seems like the trend keeps slowly creeping up (like 48% one year 51% another year). The best thing you can do is read the feedback on here, know what you can about PBL and figure out why you think it is a good fit for you, and apply early. You find out a decision within a week or so of your interview so it really pays to get your stuff in early.

thanks i'll do that. do you know if it helps to take a tour of the school?

Hey guys! I was working on some scholarship applications, and many of them wanted start/end dates for all 4 years of school. I have searched LECOMs website and can't find anything for the official start/end of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th years. Does anyone know where I could find this? Maybe it is not posted, but I thought I would check. Thanks!:oops:

Hey guys! I was working on some scholarship applications, and many of them wanted start/end dates for all 4 years of school. I have searched LECOMs website and can't find anything for the official start/end of the 2nd, 3rd or 4th years. Does anyone know where I could find this? Maybe it is not posted, but I thought I would check. Thanks!:oops:

Did you try calling the admissions office???

The official school calendars often aren't finalized until a few months before the semester begins. If you put the first Monday of August as the start and the last Friday of May as the end, you should be close enough for scholarship application purposes.

Did you try calling the admissions office???

No, I started working on them Saturday morning...

The official school calendars often aren't finalized until a few months before the semester begins. If you put the first Monday of August as the start and the last Friday of May as the end, you should be close enough for scholarship application purposes.

Thanks, I will just go with that. :oops:

cgpa 3.2
sgpa 3.4

mcat 31K PS7/VR13/BS11

CNA, AUA licenses

All I can tell you is that LECOM-B is very unpredictable. Your MCAT looks great, are you considering apply to MD schools? You have lots of clinical experience, I personally don't think you will have a problem. Your experiences overall look quite unique. But you know, I am still on their alternate list though. Apply early & good luck!

All I can tell you is that LECOM-B is very unpredictable. Your MCAT looks great, are you considering apply to MD schools? You have lots of clinical experience, I personally don't think you will have a problem. Your experiences overall look quite unique. But you know, I am still on their alternate list though. Apply early & good luck!

Any word on movement on the WL? Does it typically not move until post 5/15 because of all of the MD schools? When can we hear our position on the list? Anyone know?

i'm only applying to DO schools, over a dozen with my state school being my first choice. LECOM-B is my 2nd choice, it really seems to be an excellent school, good boards, good residency matches. i'm worried because my gpa is below average. i'm not sure what they'll think of that 7 in PS on my mcat. if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?

it'll be a fast tour, not a whole lot to show. PBL is very indep based studying with weekly group interactions. you can go to the mentor forum and look up PBL

what i meant is, do they give prefrence to students who have visited the school and have shown interest?

what i meant is, do they give prefrence to students who have visited the school and have shown interest?

Not likely. It is not a traditional campus. For one, you can't just show up and walk around. You have to either have an ID badge or prior authorization from security just to get in the building. Even if you did get permission to go on a tour, it is unlikely that anyone on the admissions committee would even know about it. Most of the time the professors are either in their offices or facilitating PBL, so not much of a chance to introduce yourself. Your best bet to show interest is in your application and by getting it in as early as possible.

i'm only applying to DO schools, over a dozen with my state school being my first choice. LECOM-B is my 2nd choice, it really seems to be an excellent school, good boards, good residency matches. i'm worried because my gpa is below average. i'm not sure what they'll think of that 7 in PS on my mcat. if you dont mind me asking, what are your stats?

I wouldn't worry too much. My cGPA was only a 3.3 (hurray for childhood mistakes) but my sGPA was a 3.75 or so...

I had a 28R MCAT BS10 PS8 VR 10. Many of my classmates that I've talked to also have low PS scores. IMO, if there IS a difference between MD's and DO's it's that MD students like research and math more than DO students. I'm sure there are tons of exceptions, but most of my friends are not huge fans of either of those things, and just want to help some patients...just my 2 cents!

Anyways...I think you have a very good chance. Good luck!

I took my MCAT quite a few times but the highest was 26O (10B, 8VR, 8PS).
My sGPA 3.78 & cGPA 3.73. I volunteered for ~ a year at the hospital, shadowing some MDs & DO (only for a very short time, not something huge to talk about.) That's basically it. I don't think I did that well in my interview at LECOM-B. I (luckily) got accepted at PCOM-GA though. I only wish I would applied early in the cycle and not wait until late Oct to apply. The waiting at LECOM-B is killing me:sleep:. Two reasons I like LECOM-B are great board scores & you don't have to disect anything. The disection was done for you and all you have to do was to look at it and learn it. I can't stand all the prep for labs in college so LECOM-B will save me all the hassles.

Last edited:
anytime you show interest in a particular school it's always positive but I don't think it plays a role at LECOM. the only time I've seen people take tours outside interview times is when they are being guided by a facility member. ie; someones got a friend on the inside track. otherwise they won't even let you in the building. I'd focus on your app, ask good questions during the interview (show interest), talk about doing community service, PBL, group interactions, dealing with people....etc. they like the well rounded person besides the standard gpa gunner. the interview questions are posted on SDN interview site

Curious...any upcoming class members in the Jacksonville area? Hoping to get to know some of ya'll over the summer.

HAHA! The first time I check this forum in months and the latest post is about Jax. I am currently practicing on University Blvd. next to Memorial Hospital. I live on the Southside by the Avenues Mall. I'm moving to Tampa mid June, so if you would like to meet beforehand, PM me.

Hey everyone! I just got a phone call this morning! Of course I said sure I'm definitely taking the seat...can't wait to meet you all! :D

Congrats LW! thats awesome! :thumbup:

Cant wait to meet you guys also, I love how enthusiastic this class is! If anyone is in Gainesville let me know. and have to stick in a Go Gators...wouldnt be right if not... lol. :laugh:

That book list is monstrous!!!

Does anyone know of apartments in the area that have month-to-month leasing options?

Thanks in advance, it would help me out a lot.

Does anyone know of apartments in the area that have month-to-month leasing options?

Thanks in advance, it would help me out a lot.

You're in luck. School just sent thisnout the other day:

If anyone is in need of housing in bradenton, one of the docs in town *
has an available house for rent!

It is a 3 bedroom 2 bath house near US301 and SR 70. One person lives *
there currently but 2 rooms will be available starting in June. *You *
can rent monthly or for the full year if you need to.

This Dr. Understands we're financially stretched and might only need a
room for 4 *weeks so there's no contract and rent is 450/month all
inclusive!! *
(phone,cable,utilities,Internet)

Please call Zaray at 941-527-9292 or Joe at 850-445-0454 for *
details.

Does anyone know if you have your own health insurance, do you also have to pay for the LECOM health insurance? I ask because I don't pay for my current insurance and know that at my undergrad school you could exempt out of their plan if you are covered elsewhere.

Does anyone know if you have your own health insurance, do you also have to pay for the LECOM health insurance? I ask because I don't pay for my current insurance and know that at my undergrad school you could exempt out of their plan if you are covered elsewhere.

It has to be either LECOM's, a Spouse's, or your Parent's Health Insurance. I think.

The LECOM insurance is really, really, REALLY sweet. 100% coverage of everything under the sun with low deductibles, low copays, and no pre-existing condition exclusions. Tough to beat, so if you have ANY medical problems at all, or those of you who are considering having a baby...get the LECOM insurance.

Digitl is correct about the requirements. School, parents or spouse. If you are married and want to add your spouse to the school plan, look at spending about $500/mo on premiums. The coverage, however, is quite excellent.

no you don't have to use LECOM. a majority of forms in school are based on the traditional student. I am retired military and carry my own insurance. when I filled out the insurance form for school I made my own box and wrote "self". as long as you can prove you are currently insured, that's all they care about

Last edited:
Hello all!

I posted on the LECOM SGA site about needing a roommate but I figured I would let you all know as well.
No preference to female or male.
If anyone is looking for a place to stay I am renting a room with private bathroom in Summerville Hollow.

PM me if you are interested, and I will let you know rent etc..

Hello all!

I posted on the LECOM SGA site about needing a roommate but I figured I would let you all know as well.
No preference to female or male.
If anyone is looking for a place to stay I am renting a room with private bathroom in Summerville Hollow.

PM me if you are interested, and I will let you know rent etc..

I am here too, you'll love the area. if you like to run/cycle, go to the housing office on univ/ lakewood ranch (LWR) and they'll give you a packet with all the running trails in the area. village bikes in LWR on main st has bike routes. good luck in school, enjoy!

May have already been asked but anyone know when we can expect to start seeing some waitlist movement? Still hoping to get in!

May have already been asked but anyone know when we can expect to start seeing some waitlist movement? Still hoping to get in!

Ditto! I am going crazy! Every time the phone rings I jump out of my skin :(

Are international editions exactly the same...I bought a few books like that in undergrad and the only differences were some of the questions were at different numbers but the content was the same...is that equivalent with these books?

They usually fine. I know a few classmates who bought them.

I personally prefer getting slightly used US editions, mostly because the pictures in the international editions are often in Black and White, which bugs me. It's usually not that important, but pretty pictures keep my short attention span happier...

Waitlisters: hopefully something will start happening soon. May 15th just passed, so give them a few days to sort things out and it will hopefully start rolling along...of course, maybe it already has, and you just haven't heard about it... :/

I have international editions of phys and genetics. Genetics is in black and white (really doesn't matter so much), phys is full color and exactly the same. I actually prefer it to the normal hardcover phys book.