LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys! During the interview day, were you on your feet a lot? I'm getting my stuff ready and debating which shoes to wear. A very little thing, I know, but I don't want my feet to kill me if we do a lot of walking around.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys! During the interview day, were you on your feet a lot? I'm getting my stuff ready and debating which shoes to wear. A very little thing, I know, but I don't want my feet to kill me if we do a lot of walking around.

It's only the 1 building here so the most extended walking you'll do is on the tour which we'll spend at least 15min or so walking you through the building, so you shouldn't have any problems.

It's only the 1 building here so the most extended walking you'll do is on the tour which we'll spend at least 15min or so walking you through the building, so you shouldn't have any problems.

Great, thanks! I appreciate the quick reply! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey March 30th interview crew -- I enjoyed meeting all of you! Good luck guys!

Probably a dumb question, but if I had a small glass of wine with dinner last night, is it ok to take the ethanol screen today or should I wait till it's gone? I'm plenty older than 21 so I'm not sure exactly what LECOM is looking for. I'm anxious to get my paperwork done though. Thanks

Probably a dumb question, but if I had a small glass of wine with dinner last night, is it ok to take the ethanol screen today or should I wait till it's gone? I'm plenty older than 21 so I'm not sure exactly what LECOM is looking for. I'm anxious to get my paperwork done though. Thanks

One drink of alcohol should leave your system pretty quickly. Definitely within 12 hours you should be set, and probably it would be gone within 4-6 hours. LECOM just requires the generic alcohol screen, not the more expensive test for alcohol metabolites (EtG) that has a longer window of detection.

If you're curious, this has info about all kinds of medications and drug testing, including alcohol:
http://www.erowid.org/psychoactives/testing/testing_info1.shtml#duration

Hey all,

Just wondering if anyone has been pulled off the alternate list and accepted yet? If so, did they call you or send you a letter?

Sincerely,
Can't wait any longer! :eek:

Hey,

I was placed on the alternate list as well. Pretty bummed, but I think that being on the waitlist isn't such a bad thing. I'm almost positive that I was told that you will get a call if your status changes. I was also told that they might not review all of the alternate list again until June though.

Good luck! I am hoping for some myself!

Hey,

I was placed on the alternate list as well. Pretty bummed, but I think that being on the waitlist isn't such a bad thing. I'm almost positive that I was told that you will get a call if your status changes. I was also told that they might not review all of the alternate list again until June though.

Good luck! I am hoping for some myself!

Be patient Waitlist people...I know it's hard...

This time of year is pretty slow. Do you guys know how this works? Most schools finish their first offers around mid-late April to maybe early May. Those students have 2 weeks to get their deposits and decision in. Those that decline, their spots get offered to the waitlisters.

Right now, everyone is waiting to hear from everywhere so they can make their final decisions. Blame it on those punks holding 5 acceptances and can't decide where to go...grrr.

Anyways, until they pick a school (which won't happen until they have all of their offers) they won't drop their acceptances, which means that you won't get your offer, etc.

When it rains it pours though, so be ready. Also, if there's anything you can do to prepare for matriculation (such as get your immunizations done, or whatever) get on all of that stuff and tell the school you want to go to about it. It can't hurt, right?

Good luck gang.

Be patient Waitlist people...I know it's hard...

This time of year is pretty slow. Do you guys know how this works? Most schools finish their first offers around mid-late April to maybe early May. Those students have 2 weeks to get their deposits and decision in. Those that decline, their spots get offered to the waitlisters.

Right now, everyone is waiting to hear from everywhere so they can make their final decisions. Blame it on those punks holding 5 acceptances and can't decide where to go...grrr.

Anyways, until they pick a school (which won't happen until they have all of their offers) they won't drop their acceptances, which means that you won't get your offer, etc.

When it rains it pours though, so be ready. Also, if there's anything you can do to prepare for matriculation (such as get your immunizations done, or whatever) get on all of that stuff and tell the school you want to go to about it. It can't hurt, right?

Good luck gang.

On that note, is there somewhere we can see the list of immunizations we need....? I figure they are pretty standard for most schools so might as well get started.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all!

I recently found out that I have received an interview to LECOM-B and will be attending April 3rd. I have read the forum a lot and I appreciate all of the helpful advice given on here. Good luck to all those waiting and congratulations on those accepted! I am so thankful for the opportunity to interview at this wonderful institution and am hoping for the best!

:cool:

I guess I wasn't too late as well. I just got an interview for the 6th. I can't wait to get out of this blizzard and see some sun for a few days.

On that note, is there somewhere we can see the list of immunizations we need....? I figure they are pretty standard for most schools so might as well get started.

I don't think it's online anywhere. I would email or call admissions and ask. Tell them you're on the waitlist, but would like to get that stuff taken care of ahead of time...

On the plus side, you might seem like a more interested, and motivated candidate.

On the minus side, if you don't get in, you're out a decent chunk of change. These tests and shots are expensive if you don't already have them done, or have really good insurance.

looks like the class is full. i interviewed on the 27th and at the time they said spots were still available, however by the 31st i was waitlisted. i called to ask about it and they said the class for the current year IS full but that i should be happy to be placed on the waitlist as it is very competitive just to get on that. im a little frustrated that they lied to us at the interview saying that their were spots when their actually was not, but there is nothing i can do now

I interviewed on March 30th and found out yesterday I've been waitlisted. Oh well. Waitlist means there's still a chance. I'll just have to keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I have another interview coming up.

Just in case you haven't followed Digitl's advice and called the admissions office, these are the vaccinations you'll need to have records of and/or a physician to affirm that you've had... and yes, they're almost certainly standard across medical schools:

Diptheria/Pertussis/Tetanus (3 childhood doses)
Diptheria/Tetanus booster (dT) or Tetanus/Diptheria/Pertussis booster (Tdap) within 10 years
Polio (3 childhood doses)
Hepatitis B series (3 doses)

Hep B is one that a people who don't work in health care might not have, and you're going to need it to see patients wherever you go to med school. It has to be given as 3 shots over 7-8 months, so get started if you don't have that one yet. (Don't panic if you won't have it done by the time school start; as long as you have it started, you should be good from what I hear.) The rest are your standard childhood vaccinations. You also need 2 TB skin tests (1 week apart) that are required pretty much everywhere. Some places might not require all this until clincals start, though, rather than LECOM's April deadline.

The rest of LECOM's requirements are expensive and (from what I understand) fairly unique, so if I were you, I'd leave them until you hear a yes/no. They're a variety of drug tests (including some off-the-wall ones) and vaccination titers.

Best of luck to everyone who's waiting to hear.

Last edited:
When are these tests supposed to be in by? I have an interview scheduled in a couple days and haven't heard anything about that. Also, does anyone know how many interview slots they gave this year?

I would not be too discouraged, waitlisters, just because the class if "full". All that means is that there are currently a full class worth of students holding onto their spots. A lot of them will be giving those spots up as they receive acceptances to preferred schools (although, why they would prefer another school is beyond me :D). Just imagine how many of them are themselves waitlisted at another school that they'd rather attend and are holding onto your LECOM spot in the meantime. There are a whole lot of acceptances left to be issued over the next few months.

When are these tests supposed to be in by? I have an interview scheduled in a couple days and haven't heard anything about that. Also, does anyone know how many interview slots they gave this year?

The tests are for accepted students. You hear about them after you get accepted. We were just saying that if you're placed on the waitlist, it might be a good idea to go ahead and get the tests done...maybe...

I'M IN!!!!!

I interviewed 3/16, got waitlisted on 3/24, and got the call today!

I'm pumped! This is my first acceptance. I'm still waiting on news from two other interviews, and then it's decision making time!

The wait sucks real bad, but it's so worth it when you get a call. Try to stay patient.

I'M IN!!!!!

I'm pumped! This is my first acceptance. I'm still waiting on news from two other interviews, and then it's decision making time!

The wait sucks real bad, but it's so worth it when you get a call. Try to stay patient.

Congrats! See? The waitlist does move!

I'M IN!!!!!

Congrats! :highfive:

The tests are for accepted students. You hear about them after you get accepted. We were just saying that if you're placed on the waitlist, it might be a good idea to go ahead and get the tests done...maybe...

I know that the more we talk about these mysterious labs, the more you want to know what they are... most are vaccination titers that prove definitively you are immune to everything you've been vaccinated against. Once you have the list of tests that need to be done, and your doc orders the tests, they can be completed within a week.

There's no point getting them unless you hold an acceptance at Bradenton, because few if any other medical schools require them, and having them done ahead of time will not matter in the application process apart from costing you a couple hundred bucks.

The only thing I would encourage people to get started on is the Hepatitis B series since that takes several months and is required everywhere in health care, whether you're a hospital's janitor or its chief medical officer. It's not a bad idea for everyone to get it, even those outside of health care. Check out your local public health agency or student health; many have discounts on all kinds of vaccinations. That's my public health message for the day.

Congrats, awwadcj, and good luck to everyone else.

How do you know if you are waitlisted? I interviewed about a week and a half ago. Will it say on my status page or will they send me a letter? :confused:

How do you know if you are waitlisted? I interviewed about a week and a half ago. Will it say on my status page or will they send me a letter? :confused:

you should be receiving a letter shortly I would think. Bradenton is pretty good with their speed. I was actually able to call within 3 days of my interview to be told the decision, you might want to try and do that if you're really anxious.

The waitlist letter finally showed up yesterday. Does LECOM waitlist everyone they interview or do they actually reject some people post-interview?

The waitlist letter finally showed up yesterday. Does LECOM waitlist everyone they interview or do they actually reject some people post-interview?

I'm 99% sure they do outright reject people. They do also accept people without putting them on the waitlist...

I'm 99% sure they do outright reject people. They do also accept people without putting them on the waitlist...
Ha! I know they accept people without putting them on the waitlist. I was only referring to those who are not outright accepted (next time I will be more specific). The reason that I asked about rejections is that everyone I know who interviewed but didn't get accepted were placed on the waitlist. So I was curious whether anyone knows someone who was actually rejected post interview this year.

Ha! I know they accept people without putting them on the waitlist. I was only referring to those who are not outright accepted (next time I will be more specific). The reason that I asked about rejections is that everyone I know who interviewed but didn't get accepted were placed on the waitlist. So I was curious whether anyone knows someone who was actually rejected post interview this year.

lol...I knew what you were asking, I was just trying to give you both sides of the coin, so to speak.

I'm not sure about this year, but I do seem to recall people being rejected last year. I was accepted outright last year, no waitlist involved. But, again, I do remember that some people weren't.

You're right though, it does seem like everyone is getting the WL this year. I also had a friend interview and get WL'd.

You can call and ask about your position on the waitlist. That might give you some hope. This varies from year to year, but LECOM-B usually takes a big chunk of its class from the WL...

For more news, you can wade through the profiles here:

http://www.mdapplicants.com/schoolsummary.php?schoolid=168

As you can tell, entrance is pretty competitive...looks like the secret of LECOM-B's awesomeness has gotten out!

digitlnoize,

Thanks for the link... really interesting stats! This shows me that LECOM-B is not all about the numbers game. They actually look at the students themselves.
I am worried that their waitlist is much bigger this year than last though :(.
I was told that last year they placed 100 on the waitlist and 60 ended up accepted... I just hope I'm one of those 60 this year :rolleyes:.

I got accepted to Lecom-B a while ago, but I forgot to post it here.

I'm about to start looking for housing for the Missus and I, any recommendations for us?
We're planning on getting dogs soon, so we'll need somewhere that's pet friendly.

Also, how would you rate the student body? Athletic or no? I love playing basketball and I'm missing out on playing intramurals since I graduated.
How's the level of student body involvement outside of class? Do people get together and do stuff on the weekend?

I liked the campus and the students I met, but I wasn't sure about the nonscholastic aspects of the school.

I got accepted to Lecom-B a while ago, but I forgot to post it here.

I'm about to start looking for housing for the Missus and I, any recommendations for us?
We're planning on getting dogs soon, so we'll need somewhere that's pet friendly.

All sorts of places around school depending on if you want a townhome, apartment, or house. Not sure how the apartments around here deal with pets. My wife and I are in a townhome over in the Harborage (west on SR-70, ~10 min from school) with our dog. Those are private owners so it'll just depend on the owner. There's always Lakewood Ranch itself with a bunch of various neighborhoods and homes there. I know several students who rent homes in there and they get a great house for a really good price.

Also, how would you rate the student body? Athletic or no? I love playing basketball and I'm missing out on playing intramurals since I graduated.

I don't percentage wise, but there is a fairly large group who go play soccer every Friday afternoon on some soccer fields right down the street from the school. There's also a group that plays basketball each week. Those are the "main" organized weekly things that have kind of been fairly constant. There's also a smaller group into running that will do weekend runs around the area. Last semester we tried to get some softball going, but it lasted a few games before dying out.

How's the level of student body involvement outside of class? Do people get together and do stuff on the weekend?

I think it depends more on how you study, whether you prefer to study alone or in groups. Overall I think we have a really good group of students here in that everyone seems willing to help each other out. At some point you'll probably click with a few people/small group and those will be the ones you do any "group" studying with, it's just natural. For the most part it's just a ton of reading, but I'll sometimes get a PBL room with a few others so we can go over some concept or review previous case.

Some people just prefer to library and you'll always seem them there, some can't stand to study at school and they'll go home after class, some go to starbucks, and other places.

The easy majority of my active study time is spent reading by myself, but I'll probably be reading with a few other friends and we'll take occasional coffee breaks or a lunch/dinner break together.

Thanks very much for the quick answers man.
I appreciate them.
Right now, I'm unemployed (surprise, noone wants to hire a new EMT for less than 2 months) so I spend my spare time surfing the web or going to the gym, etc. I figured instead of wasting it all, I might as well find somewhere to live.

The individual reading and study time was a big appeal to me as well. I couldn't handle a heavy lecture style teaching, which is why I had to turn down the state school here.

Thanks for the friendly help!

Thanks very much for the quick answers man.
I appreciate them.
Right now, I'm unemployed (surprise, noone wants to hire a new EMT for less than 2 months) so I spend my spare time surfing the web or going to the gym, etc. I figured instead of wasting it all, I might as well find somewhere to live.

The individual reading and study time was a big appeal to me as well. I couldn't handle a heavy lecture style teaching, which is why I had to turn down the state school here.

Thanks for the friendly help!

I always have to ask this...What part of SC are you from?? I'm from Myrtle Beach.

I always have to ask this...What part of SC are you from?? I'm from Myrtle Beach.

LoL, Well I'm actually a Georgia boy, but I just graduated from Clemson, and still live here. My fiance is from Dillon though. A small town near Myrtle, and we go visit Myrtle from time to time. I knew a few people from Myrtle that went to Furman come to think of it.

*It's a Small world Affffffttterr all *

LoL, Well I'm actually a Georgia boy, but I just graduated from Clemson, and still live here. My fiance is from Dillon though. A small town near Myrtle, and we go visit Myrtle from time to time. I knew a few people from Myrtle that went to Furman come to think of it.

*It's a Small world Affffffttterr all *

LOl yes it is.

FYI waitlisters you'll also need to get a background check and send all your official transcripts to the school. You may be able to get a jump start on these tasks.

If you work in a healthcare setting you might be able to get the HepB series started for free by your employer. Ditto with the two step TB. It never hurts to ask.

Anyone thinking about joining the military can get a 10 panel drug screen courtesy of Uncle Sam.

Hey Ohio,
do you remember how recent the TB and HepB vaccinations have to be?

I got them done for EMT less than a year ago, so I figure I should be ok, but better safe than sorry.

Hey Ohio,
do you remember how recent the TB and HepB vaccinations have to be?

I got them done for EMT less than a year ago, so I figure I should be ok, but better safe than sorry.

"A 2-step PPD is required within 6 months of matriculation and clinical rotation. If results are positive, a chest X-ray is required along with the radiology report. An annual PPD is required in the Spring of each academic year"

That's the official lingo from the Immunization Status Report from LECOM.

HepB can be anytime. Positive titers will prove your immunity. Negative titers send you back to start the series over again.

ohio, What city are you from? I'm from Ohio as well!

I'm from Columbus!

lemonslices said:
Hey Ohio, I am thinking about joining the military but I want to know some more details/info about it, if you have any? Or have you talked with anyone who has done it? Thanks!

I've been in the military for almost 9 years now. I would highly recommend looking into the National Guard, either Army or Air. I served one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year with the OH Air National Guard during undergrad in order to graduate debt free. I'm now working on switching to the Army Guard in FL for a commission and a full time officer's paycheck. It's a pretty sweet program and it's filling up fast! You are paid as a LT and get a housing allowance for 3 years (this adds up to around 50k-65k a year, depending on if you have served in the military before or have dependents). The commitment is being a student recruiter for 3 years and drilling for the other years (i.e. one weekend a month 2 weeks a year in the state YOU choose! I repeat the Guard is not a daily commitment to the military like active duty). Deployments are possible after medical school. You can still have a lucrative civilian practice as a Guard doc. You can always go active duty if you love the military lifestyle. Check out this thread on the Military Medicine forum for all the info.

I respect those doing HPSP, but it's a little too much commitment for me to swallow for the benefits. HPSP is the full military scholarship that pays all tuition, fees, supplies and a stipend for four years. Plus right now they are offering a 20k bonus. That's the benefit; the commitment is doing a military residency (which can be less than stellar and limited in numbers/options), and then serving active duty for four years or more wherever the MILITARY decides they need you. This could be the Middle of No Where, North Dakota or Korea. Deployments are possible after medical school. Compensation for specialties is greatly reduced compared to civilian docs. You can't switch to reserve status if you decide you dislike the military lifestyle.

Do a lot of research before signing on the dotted line. PM me if you have more questions.

Last edited:
I'm from Columbus!

I've been in the military for almost 9 years now. I would highly recommend looking into the National Guard, either Army or Air. I served one weekend a month and 2 weeks a year with the OH Air National Guard during undergrad in order to graduate debt free. I'm now working on switching to the Army Guard in FL for a commission and a full time officer's paycheck. It's a pretty sweet program and it's filling up fast! You are paid as a LT and get a housing allowance for 3 years (this adds up to around 50k-65k a year, depending on if you have served in the military before or have dependents). The commitment is being a student recruiter for 3 years and drilling for the other years (i.e. one weekend a month 2 weeks a year in the state YOU choose! I repeat the Guard is not a daily commitment to the military like active duty). Deployments are possible after medical school. You can still have a lucrative civilian practice as a Guard doc. You can always go active duty if you love the military lifestyle. Check out this thread on the Military Medicine forum for all the info.

I respect those doing HPSP, but it's a little too much commitment for me to swallow for the benefits. HPSP is the full military scholarship that pays all tuition, fees, supplies and a stipend for four years. Plus right now they are offering a 20k bonus. That's the benefit; the commitment is doing a military residency (which can be less than stellar and limited in numbers/options), and then serving active duty for four years or more wherever the MILITARY decides they need you. This could be the Middle of No Where, North Dakota or Korea. Deployments are possible after medical school. Compensation for specialties is greatly reduced compared to civilian docs. You can't switch to reserve status if you decide you dislike the military lifestyle.

Do a lot of research before signing on the dotted line. PM me if you have more questions.

I had a friend who was a PA and did the National Guard. A year or so ago, he found out he was getting deployed to Afghanistan. Him and his wife had just had their first baby. :(

Bottom line: Don't do it for the money (because it's honestly not that good of a deal). Do it if you want to be IN the military and serve your country.

I had a friend who was a PA and did the National Guard. A year or so ago, he found out he was getting deployed to Afghanistan. Him and his wife had just had their first baby. :(

Bottom line: Don't do it for the money (because it's honestly not that good of a deal). Do it if you want to be IN the military and serve your country.

Digitlnoize makes a great point. Don't do it just for the money. The money is just a bonus for the opportunity to serve your country and her troops. If you sign up, for active duty or the guard, you may very well be asked to serve in a theater of conflict, away from your family for months at a time. If and only if you are comfortable with that level of commitment to your country then decide if you want serve part time or full time.

ohio, I'm from Columbus as well... but I'm currently on the waitlist... maybe, just maybe, you'll have a Buckeye friend next year.

(...) then serving active duty for four years or more wherever the MILITARY decides they need you. This could be the Middle of No Where, North Dakota or Korea.

My home state is in the same league as Korea? Wow! :D

(Incidentally, the only way you'd get deployed here in North Dakota for a full deployment is in the air force. We've had a few guard units from Michigan in the area thanks to the flooding in Fargo, but I believe they're pretty much done now.)

Last edited: