LECOM - Bradenton Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone staying at Colonial Grand at LWR set up their internet yet? I will probably just go through Brighthouse and try to see if I can get a bundle package even though cable is paid directly through the complex. Did anyoneI explore any other options?

ThisIsYourLife was having that same question. I don't know if she got them answered, but it seems like some people are going with the following options:

1. The in-complex cable system (Brighthouse, Comcasat, etc..)
  2. Verizon (however, Fab mentions that it's not available in all areas)
I saw a package deal a while back when checking out Brighthouse. It was an introductory rate of $99.00/month for Digital Cable, Internet, and Phone for 12 months. I was unable to see the rate after 12 months, but that might be something you could look into.

Good luck in your quest for internet!

Members don't see this ad.

^^ Zac, I talked to CG today and they said that as long as your lease has begun and you have paid you may set up internet even if you are not there (you must mail or fax a signed letter authorizing the use of your key to allow the technician inside your apartment). I tried to ask about the combo deal, but either Wendy did not understand my question or they can't do it.. she said that we will always be billed for the internet and cable seprately (one personally the other through our rent) because CG splits the cable -- Im not quite up to date on all the technical implications.. but I am assuming CG just buys cable and has splitters for everyone.. so since it isn't our name on the contract Im not quite sure that we can do the combo deal -- but she also said brighthouse will know we already have cable when we call for internet.. so I figured this would be something I would just have to talk to brighthouse about.

Currently http://www.brighthousehighspeed.com/1/?_ck=1&cid=53477& there is a deal about 6 months of 24.99 internet and 44.95 (their regular rate) after that. That is internet alone.

There is also a digital cable and high speed internet combo here: https://www.whitefence.com/WebObjec...ext=15&rand=q1006260955&menu=bundleMyServices
(I used the office address so mine isn't wide open on the internet) for 84.95/month.. I am not sure of the implications it has since we already get cable through CG.. if that would be ON TOP OF the alreadt 49$ we automatically pay.. or instead of..

also.. although I want cable.. I am kind of upset they are automatically charging us, since I am sure I can find a better deal (like that above combo deal!!) do you know if we can cancel that charge if we would like?

I am under the assumption that we cannot cancel the cable charge. I emailed Jody at CG and she said that even though we have to pay cable directly to the complex Brighthouse would still bundle price our internet but I'm not sure if thats true or if she just made that up. Honestly, the people at CG have been, nicely speaking, less than helpful from the day I contacted them about an apartment. If the complex wasn't so close to the school I would be living someplace else for sure. I need to call Brighthouse ASAP but I don't think I will get around to doing it until Monday. Let me know if you find anything else out and I'll do the same.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey SCPOD and NLAX what is there to do around here on the weekend nights? Is there usually anything going on for the 4th?

Thanks!

Hey SCPOD and NLAX what is there to do around here on the weekend nights? Is there usually anything going on for the 4th?

Thanks!

I'm grumbling with jealousy...

Thanks!

Hmmmm.... I actually haven't explored the Bradenton/Sarasota all that much.

Bar wise there is Beach Club over on the Sarasota Coast (can't remember which beach but you can google it, has been the site of a few post-test parties). There is always the numerous beaches. Not sure what 4th festivities are going on. I know with all the budget crap that a lot of cities were scaling down or flat out not doing their fireworks displays so I haven't checked into that. If you're more into the night life you could always drive north to either Ybor, or Channelside in Tampa, or St. Pete. Could hit up a Ray's game, especially since they're doing extremely well now.

Good luck to all those moving down in the next few weeks. I'm off to enjoy my July 4th and then I'm flying down to Jamaica on Saturday for 10 days of rural medical clinic fun!!! Should be interesting. A few Tampa docs are trying to get something started where they take a group of newly finished 1st years down to Jamaica for hands-on clinical experience so we're trying it out.

Now I just gotta keep an eye on the tropics for any storms, good ol' hurricane season.

See ya'll soon!

Jamaica I love you! I was there on vacation w/ my boyfriend, was awesome!
The only ting me regretted was that I not visited Bob Marley's grave site!

Definitely let us know how that goes! I'd be up for it, it's Jamaica YEAH MON! :bow:

Good luck to all those moving down in the next few weeks. I'm off to enjoy my July 4th and then I'm flying down to Jamaica on Saturday for 10 days of rural medical clinic fun!!! Should be interesting. A few Tampa docs are trying to get something started where they take a group of newly finished 1st years down to Jamaica for hands-on clinical experience so we're trying it out.

Now I just gotta keep an eye on the tropics for any storms, good ol' hurricane season.

See ya'll soon!

Jamaica I love you! I was there on vacation w/ my boyfriend, was awesome!
The only ting me regretted was that I not visited Bob Marley's grave site!

Definitely let us know how that goes! I'd be up for it, it's Jamaica YEAH MON! :bow:

Very cool. Where did ya'll go? This will be my first time there so it'll be fun. We're flying into Montego Bay and then have about a 2-3 hour car ride to the Treasure Beach area on the south coast.

Very cool. Where did ya'll go? This will be my first time there so it'll be fun. We're flying into Montego Bay and then have about a 2-3 hour car ride to the Treasure Beach area on the south coast.

That sounds awesome. About how much is it costing you? I'd love to do something like that next year! For those wondering, it's official. We are definitely in. Talked with all the family yesterday and we all agree that LECOM is the right place for us. I will be down there for orientation and my fam will follow a couple weeks later with the stuff. Can't wait to finally meet all of you!

That sounds awesome. About how much is it costing you? I'd love to do something like that next year! For those wondering, it's official. We are definitely in. Talked with all the family yesterday and we all agree that LECOM is the right place for us. I will be down there for orientation and my fam will follow a couple weeks later with the stuff. Can't wait to finally meet all of you!

:hardy: :hardy: :hardy:

What a wonderful day and some wonderful news! We are the luckiest class of 2012 in the country! You say you'll be down for orientation? When is your "move-in" day?

Also, if you need help moving stuff in, I know that I'm down to helping. Just let me know.

<a href="http://img.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/bdaybiggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Party" smilieid="21" class="inlineimg" /> <a href="http://img.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/bdaybiggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Party" smilieid="21" class="inlineimg" /> <a href="http://img.studentdoctor.net/images/smilies/bdaybiggrin.gif" border="0" alt="" title="Party" smilieid="21" class="inlineimg" />

What a wonderful day and some wonderful news! We are the luckiest class of 2012 in the country! You say you'll be down for orientation? When is your &quot;move-in&quot; day?

Also, if you need help moving stuff in, I know that I'm down to helping. Just let me know.

Thanks! I will be down on the 24th. I wot need any help then though...a couple weeks later might be another story...

me too, I am in! They really do a great job! If you use paypal, I can get you the money that way or just mail it old fashioned like ;) Fabulous idea!

Someone called?
heehee.gif
I think this is a good idea. I'll help, too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! I will be down on the 24th. I wot need any help then though...a couple weeks later might be another story...

Absolutely! I'm sure I'm going to need a mental break now and again.

Thanks!

JimT-- I know St. Pete pier usually does fireworks, it's really nice at the pier.

Here's a link from Bay News 9 that has a lot of local things going on, including the St. Pete pier fireworks:
http://www.baynews9.com/NeighborhoodNews.html

Also, Busch Gardens in Tampa always has fireworks on the 4th and it's an amazing park/zoo, for adults and children. You'd have to buy a ticket, but if you show something that you're a FL resident, you can get a fun pass and come back all year for your normal admission price:
http://www.buschgardens.com/Bgt/Tickets/Residents.aspx

I love this park. :love:

We were in Ocho Rios, east of airport about 2 hrs, flew in Montego Bay too. It's weird, once you get out of the airport area, all the roads are unpaved and all muddy. It's really sad to see along the road there are all these little houses the size of bathrooms for us, and that's some people's home. Lots of people walking, oh and they drive on the left side of the road. The drivers are usually pretty crazy and aren't afraid to run people or cars off the road. If you ever get to drinking, the rum there is Appleton rum, the only thing they drink, which is pretty good in a pina colada or strawberry daquiri.

If any of the current students (or anyone else) has any ideas about what to get the admissions staff, we'd love to hear them.

If any of the current students (or anyone else) has any ideas about what to get the admissions staff, we'd love to hear them.

I would love to pitch in. I have been thinking about it too. My first thought was to get a nice big cake. But then I thought - yummy but too much fat, sugar, cholesterol. How about fruits.. too healthy and possibly boring. May be something else that the staff can keep it on their desk.

Let's get input from others, and please let me know. I will pitch in.

Thanks!

For those wondering, it's official. We are definitely in. Talked with all the family yesterday and we all agree that LECOM is the right place for us.

Man! It's about time you decided!! Congrats and great to have you as a classmate. So, now when we say class of 2012 rocks - We literally mean it! Take that EVMS!!!

Take that EVMS!!!

Their students are totally jealous.

On the "gift" thought, what about some kind of dinner gift card or something? Sure they cannot keep it at their desk to flaunt, but if we got them each a gift card to a really really nice restaurant, or maybe a slightly less nice restaurant but also a movie theatre gift card, they could have a nice relaxing evening with their special someone or with each other.

If that is convoluted, forgive me. I didn't feel like using perfect grammar.

Their students are totally jealous.

On the "gift" thought, what about some kind of dinner gift card or something? Sure they cannot keep it at their desk to flaunt, but if we got them each a gift card to a really really nice restaurant, or maybe a slightly less nice restaurant but also a movie theatre gift card, they could have a nice relaxing evening with their special someone or with each other.

If that is convoluted, forgive me. I didn't feel like using perfect grammar.

Gift card isn't a bad idea...I was also thinking some kind of cool office gift basket-y type thing...maybe...

And you guys don't need me to rock!

Just to clear things up about CG cable. I live there now and you pay the 50 dollars or whatever it is to CG and that pays for cable. If you sign up for anything else brighthouse will bill you the difference. For example....you buy the 100.00 packet you pay x amount to CG and brighthouse bills you for x-100. So really it works out the same!

Gift card isn't a bad idea...I was also thinking some kind of cool office gift basket-y type thing...maybe...

In chicago we have this nice company called "Lettuce Entertain You" and they have giftcards that can be used at a number of "Lettuce Entertain You" restaurants.. they are nice restaurants.. does Bradenton/Tampa have anything like this??

a cool office gadget would be nice, too :)

Just to clear things up about CG cable. I live there now and you pay the 50 dollars or whatever it is to CG and that pays for cable. If you sign up for anything else brighthouse will bill you the difference. For example....you buy the 100.00 packet you pay x amount to CG and brighthouse bills you for x-100. So really it works out the same!

so if i signed up for the 84$ package they would bill be 84-49(the amount from CG) to equal = 35$ to Brighthouse/month??

I didn't get accepted (on the waitlist), but at my office we had gotten an awesome 'edible arrangements' gift basket that had all different kinds of fruits that were cut into different flowers and things, made to look like a flower arrangement. It's really pretty and edible! They're good about shipping it quickly, so it stays fresh for a long time. I think everyone would be able to enjoy that.

Just an idea! :D

I didn't get accepted (on the waitlist), but at my office we had gotten an awesome 'edible arrangements' gift basket that had all different kinds of fruits that were cut into different flowers and things, made to look like a flower arrangement. It's really pretty and edible! They're good about shipping it quickly, so it stays fresh for a long time. I think everyone would be able to enjoy that.

Just an idea! :D

:luck: We're still pulling for you!

Actually, technically, unless there is another student hanging out that has a rock band, we do need you to rock!!

I''m good at Guitar Hero-- does that count?!
band.gif

Digtl--I'm glad u decided to join us!! :thumbup: (officially anyways)

I would love to pitch in. I have been thinking about it too. My first thought was to get a nice big cake. But then I thought - yummy but too much fat, sugar, cholesterol. How about fruits.. too healthy and possibly boring. May be something else that the staff can keep it on their desk.

Let's get input from others, and please let me know. I will pitch in.

Thanks!

What about coffee and bagels from Dunkin with a fruit tray? Maybe we can bring them the first day of class to get off on a good foot.

perplexed.gif
Hmmm.... I wonder if they're allowed to eat in their office?!

I''m good at Guitar Hero-- does that count?!
band.gif

Digtl--I'm glad u decided to join us!! :thumbup: (officially anyways)

I am so curious as to how you find these crazy smiley faces? I know you're cooler than me, but I'm amazed.

Anyone staying at Colonial Grand at LWR set up their internet yet? I will probably just go through Brighthouse and try to see if I can get a bundle package even though cable is paid directly through the complex. Did anyoneI explore any other options?

I'm going to set up my internet with Brighthouse at Colonial Grand. They set up a deal with Brighthouse where you only have to pay an extra $36 and you get internet, HD, and an additional 80 channels. That's what I'm gonna do.

We're officially moved in!! Well, we're still living out of boxes, but at least the boxes are in Florida! I drove by the school Thursday with the kids and showed them where mommy would be going to school! I also passed my biochem, so I have officially graduated and shouldn't have any reaston to be kicked out anymore!

It's a little surreal still. I don't think it will actually really hit me until school starts. By the way, went to Bradenton beach a few days ago and the water was like a bath tub!!! I didn't want to go home.

We're officially moved in!! Well, we're still living out of boxes, but at least the boxes are in Florida! I drove by the school Thursday with the kids and showed them where mommy would be going to school! I also passed my biochem, so I have officially graduated and shouldn't have any reaston to be kicked out anymore!

It's a little surreal still. I don't think it will actually really hit me until school starts. By the way, went to Bradenton beach a few days ago and the water was like a bath tub!!! I didn't want to go home.

Congratulations, Kate!!

Isn't it the best beach ever. I don't care what you guys say, I'm going to find time to occasionally study at the beach. Maybe on the weekends...I'll figure something out.

Good point about the food in the office. Probably not. It's against the LECOM rules, isn't it?

Maybe something more object-y then. Cute little paperweights or something...something they can keep on their desks...

I don't know, I am always a sucker for good ole flowers. You can't go wrong with flowers, food is too individual, if you all got me any of the food you have mentioned I would smile politely and either give it away or throw it away. Everyone likes flowers though.....we could even do flowers based on personalities

Sunflowers for Heather: she is always a bundle of sunshine
Tulips for June: She is the voice of authority, leading the way
Roses for Annette: She makes sure everything runs smoothy, removing any thorns that might be in the way

:luck: We're still pulling for you!

Thanks! :D I'm still waiting.... I got into University of South Florida's Medical Science Master's program over in the College of Medicine, so at least my brain won't melt over the next year. Maybe I'll get a foot in over there. ;)

I don't know, I am always a sucker for good ole flowers. You can't go wrong with flowers, food is too individual, if you all got me any of the food you have mentioned I would smile politely and either give it away or throw it away. Everyone likes flowers though.....we could even do flowers based on personalities

Sunflowers for Heather: she is always a bundle of sunshine
Tulips for June: She is the voice of authority, leading the way
Roses for Annette: She makes sure everything runs smoothy, removing any thorns that might be in the way

I see where you're going with this...anyone else we should include? Ron?

where are people purchasing furniture at??? or am i the only one who doesn't own a single thing!!

where are people purchasing furniture at??? or am i the only one who doesn't own a single thing!!

What do you need? I might be buying a new desk, but I'm going with the cheap places: Target, Office Depot, etc...

I need a sleeper sofa, mattress, bed frame (unless mattress comes with one), desk, and some sort of drawers

im going to target for anything i possibly can (there is a super target just minutes away!!!) but the first three things, at least, i need somewhere cheap-ish to get them.. i found some furniture stores on yahoo yellowpages but if anyone knows anything good, id like to know!

I need a sleeper sofa, mattress, bed frame (unless mattress comes with one), desk, and some sort of drawers

im going to target for anything i possibly can (there is a super target just minutes away!!!) but the first three things, at least, i need somewhere cheap-ish to get them.. i found some furniture stores on yahoo yellowpages but if anyone knows anything good, id like to know!

Well, I would get the mattress new, but if you're not opposed to used furniture check out craigslist. If you have a sam's club membership they have nice beds that are reasonably priced (if not let me know and I can take you to get it). Where is the super target? I've only found wal-marts out here, but really prefer target. We got some cheap desks at wal-mart though.

Well, I would get the mattress new, but if you're not opposed to used furniture check out craigslist. If you have a sam's club membership they have nice beds that are reasonably priced (if not let me know and I can take you to get it). Where is the super target? I've only found wal-marts out here, but really prefer target. We got some cheap desks at wal-mart though.

It's down on University, it looks like:

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=...305686&sa=X&oi=local_result&resnum=1&ct=image

There is some good stuff on the Sarasota Craiglist: sarasota.craigslist.org

You can also check out the Tampa one, if you want some more choices, and don't mind a drive...

I LOVE SuperTarget!!!!!

Oh another note, I have moved around alot in my life, there are a few resources that I always rely on to get used to a new place, one of them which I would highly recommend is Angieslist.com You pay a small membership fee but it allows you access to reviews of all sorts of different services, places, people ect. from locals, I have always found it to be a precious resource when moving to a new place

edit: just looked to see that Angieslist only has Tampa, so I am not sure how helpful that might be, I'll join and let you all know how far it covers

I LOVE SuperTarget!!!!!

Oh another note, I have moved around alot in my life, there are a few resources that I always rely on to get used to a new place, one of them which I would highly recommend is Angieslist.com You pay a small membership fee but it allows you access to reviews of all sorts of different services, places, people ect. from locals, I have always found it to be a precious resource when moving to a new place

edit: just looked to see that Angieslist only has Tampa, so I am not sure how helpful that might be, I'll join and let you all know how far it covers

Or...some amazingly nice person could PM us their angie's list login info and we could all split the cost 150 ways...How much is it anyways?

Or...some amazingly nice person could PM us their angie's list login info and we could all split the cost 150 ways...How much is it anyways?

A year is $59.

An amazingly nice person has just signed up and will accept pm's from anyone who might be interested in sharing in the cost in exchange for login information

Kate

* University Parkway SuperTarget
101 N Cattlemen Rd
Sarasota, FL 34243
(941) 360-7520

This is off the Target website.. the one shown above (by digitl) is only a regular target.. its pretty close to where Im living (6mins!) but not sure about you! The next closest is in Brandon South(Riverview).. so probably not as close