LECOM Bradenton Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cleoscat3

Fell Asleep In My Cereal
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just thought lecom-b deserved a class thread too. Who else is excited!

Members don't see this ad.

Woot! I'm so ready to move to Florida. :D

yea its freezing here right now, seriously there's a "hard freeze warning" on the news. i need somewhere farther south like Mexico:p i can't wait until its like a year in and all you northerners understand what 50 degrees is like once you're used to the Florida sun

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm excited! =) Wish it were July already!!

I just got accepted and will be moving there at the end of July. I am also looking for roommates

Congrats to all of you on your acceptances. Sarasota/Bradenton is my hometown and I am sure that you will all love it. LECOM-B also seems like a great school. Good luck to all!

And when your basking in the sun...remember some of us will be freezing in West Virginia...

I don't know if they changed a policy or what, but initially I sent in my titers and drug test results (which is going to cost me ~$500 out-of-pocket thanks to my doc not really being familiar with the tests he was ordering), and Heather wrote back to say that I had missed the Tricyclics portion of the test. Nuts, I thought, and went back for another lab draw and test.

I sent the results in the mail the other day, and wrote Heather to tell her so. She wrote back to say that my previous drug screen was now acceptable, and I didn't need to submit anything else. I don't know if they changed the forms they're sending out, or what. Anyone who received the matriculation packet in early February like me might want to check with her to see if there's been a change in policy since those went out. Could save you some cash.

Another bit of info you might find useful... I'd planned on taking a couple of online classes next quarter, but have really lost any motivation to do so. Heather told me as long as my transcript shows that all my pre-reqs have been completed, and my bachelors has been awarded, I can skip those classes and save some money for moving down to Florida.

I already posted something like this on our class's facebook page. There's more action on that page than this one by far, so if you haven't checked it out yet, you might want to do so.

Is anyone looking for a roommate in the Bradenton area? I am from PA and I am looking for a place to live. Let me know if anyone is interested.

congrats on coming to bradenton! the best advice I can give you now is to enjoy your time before school starts. don't worry about killing yourself with studying and such. good luck on your journey. if you have any questions feel free to PM.

I was wondering if a current student, or anyone else who just happens to know, could describe what our schedules will be like during the first year. Also, does anyone have any idea when we find out who will be in our PBL group? I've already met a bunch of classmates on facebook and would love to know if any of them will be in my group.

Yeah, that is the Erie schedule. For you guys, it will be similar to the attached which was our schedule for last fall....

Also, they are changing some of the time slots slightly for next year to allow for more cushion between PBL groups. So it may be something like 1-3 and 3:30-5:30 or 12:30-2:30 and 3-5. So, you can expect a little change from what is on here.

The first day of orientation you will get your group and facilitator assignments and advisor assignments as well. You'll be with your group for the first semester and then you'll change before the Spring semester starts. Orientation stinks, but at least it's a chance to meet the two people who are before and after you in the alphabet!

Attachments

• MS1 2008 - semester 1.doc
    368.5 KB · Views: 342
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey gang. Most of you know me from the other thread, but just wanted to pop over here. Let me know if you have any questions...

can anyone speak about the area, sarasota and bradenton? any advice on "bad" areas (if there are any), living in an apartment complex vs a bungalow or cottage, traffic in the area, particularly going from sarasota to campus?

can anyone speak about the area, sarasota and bradenton? any advice on "bad" areas (if there are any), living in an apartment complex vs a bungalow or cottage, traffic in the area, particularly going from sarasota to campus?

The best place to live here is definitely the Lakewood Ranch area close to school. There are tons of options here, and it makes your life so much easier.

If you MUST live farther away for some reason, Sarasota wouldn't be bad, but you'll want to stay as close to I-75 as you can. Places to the East of I-75 tend to be nicer than those to the West.

If you're thinking of living in a beach cottage or something, DON'T. Living anywhere more than a few blocks West of I-75 will make your morning commute hellish. I have classmates who did that who have a 45 min commute each way. Granted, they live by the beach, but still. I don't have that much time to waste. I just drive to the beach on the weekends.

I, personally, would recommend a house or townhouse. Rent here is pretty cheap, and you can get a very nice place for the same price (or less) than an apartment.

Houses/Townhouses (sarasota.craigslist.org, oodle.com, google housing, etc)
Apartments: Yacht Club, Colonial Grand, Springs at Braden River.

For the apartments, make sure you're looking at their location closest to school. Many of the complexes have 2 locations, don't pick the one in BFE.

You can also contact local realtors. They're very helpful and have tons of good rental properties too.

Good Luck!

Plenty of bad areas in bradenton. Sarasota.... not so much. NOTHING by the airport, or around 17th to 27th street (west of lockwiid ridge). That being said; I concur that the best option is to live as close to school as is possible. (check summerfield knoll) I lived there last year and there are a gang of condos you can rent for cheap right now.

Plenty of bad areas in bradenton. Sarasota.... not so much. NOTHING by the airport, or around 17th to 27th street (west of lockwiid ridge). That being said; I concur that the best option is to live as close to school as is possible. (check summerfield knoll) I lived there last year and there are a gang of condos you can rent for cheap right now.

As a resident of Bradenton for the past 9 years, I will say two things about this...yes, there are areas that are not the best in Bradenton, but the same can be said for Sarasota and any place in general.

If you can find something either along University Parkway, by the interstate or in LWR, that would be the smartest.

My question is, how much love does LECOM-B have to locals who apply. LECOM-B is definitely my 1st choice...I plan to have the best application I can, apply early...

Our first semester schedule is posted on the portal

My question is, how much love does LECOM-B have to locals who apply. LECOM-B is definitely my 1st choice...I plan to have the best application I can, apply early...

I know of at least one Bradenton resident who's in c/o 2012, and there are quite a few people from nearby cities. I wouldn't go as far as to say you have a huge advantage by being from town, but it does seem to help a little.

As for good places to live, I like the townhouses within Lakewood Ranch subdivisions off of SR 70. They are probably the closest housing you'll find to campus, and many of them are going for pretty cheap rent right now. In my opinion, the apartments like Colonial Grand and Yacht Club are not really worth the expense and are a little further away. However, these are close to coffee shops/grocery stores and you'll find more LECOM students there.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Are you guys as nervous as I am to get started? Ha, I am not really nervous, more anxious than anything.

Did anyone start studying yet? It's kind of hard to read the anatomy books without knowing what the professor wants us to focus on, because there is so much material. Can any 2nd year student or someone who has information on this give a hand?

Thanks.

Hey guys,

Are you guys as nervous as I am to get started? Ha, I am not really nervous, more anxious than anything.

Did anyone start studying yet? It's kind of hard to read the anatomy books without knowing what the professor wants us to focus on, because there is so much material. Can any 2nd year student or someone who has information on this give a hand?

Thanks.

Well. I'd enjoy these last few weeks. If you really want to start....

Start with the back. Memorize all the muscles (origins, insertions, nerves, and action...blood supply too, if you can). If you get through all that...move on to upper limb.

Start with the back. Memorize all the muscles (origins, insertions, nerves, and action...blood supply too, if you can). If you get through all that...move on to upper limb.

Sorry could not resist pitching in on this one. I am a USF med student so I don't know much about LECOM even though I did interview there and sometimes I studied with LECOM students at the library but I can tell you some general info about med school.

DON'T STUDY before school starts. These will be your last few weeks of freedom, enjoy them. If you come to Bradenton a couple of weeks early to settle down, go to the beach every day and RELAX. You will be plenty busy during med school.

However, if you must read something while you are at the beach sipping on booze, I would reccomend reading Embryo. If you learn how the human body is created it will make understanding, not memorizing but understanding Anatomy a lot easier. You will understand things like how arm extensors and leg flexors are embryologically similar etc.

Enjoy the last couple weeks of freedom.

Sorry could not resist pitching in on this one. I am a USF med student so I don't know much about LECOM even though I did interview there and sometimes I studied with LECOM students at the library but I can tell you some general info about med school.

DON'T STUDY before school starts. These will be your last few weeks of freedom, enjoy them. If you come to Bradenton a couple of weeks early to settle down, go to the beach every day and RELAX. You will be plenty busy during med school.

However, if you must read something while you are at the beach sipping on booze, I would reccomend reading Embryo. If you learn how the human body is created it will make understanding, not memorizing but understanding Anatomy a lot easier. You will understand things like how arm extensors and leg flexors are embryologically similar etc.

Enjoy the last couple weeks of freedom.

While I agree...some people (like myself) have spent their entire lives before med school relaxing, and just want to get started already...I, for one, have relaxed enough...

Well...mostly :D

Do you remember focusing on the powerpoints more, or the book?

Do you remember focusing on the powerpoints more, or the book?

Hmm. Both, really. The powerpoints are a very good start, but I'm not sure you'd get an A in the class by JUST doing powerpoints...I've heard one or two claims of this, but I don't know if I buy it...maybe if you have some background in anatomy already...

Pictures in the books are worth 1000 words though. Clinical stuff is good.

The University of Michigan Anatomy Quizzes (google them) are great practice, and similar in style to our questions if you want something to gauge your progress...

I ask this because we started today, and I am honestly lost on how to start. The book contains SO MUCH information, it almost seems impossible to read it all and absorb it.

The powerpoints aren't bad at all, but I am thinking of using the powerpoints and the book to supplement what is in the powerpoints. Does that sound like a good plan?

I ask this because we started today, and I am honestly lost on how to start. The book contains SO MUCH information, it almost seems impossible to read it all and absorb it.

The powerpoints aren't bad at all, but I am thinking of using the powerpoints and the book to supplement what is in the powerpoints. Does that sound like a good plan?

Just try to do as much as you can. You can't know everything, but try as hard as you can.

Keep in mind, too, that the Back section is by far the easiest (IMO). Less muscles, less organs, less blood supply, less everything...it's a good intro, but it's not nearly as much info as, say, abdomen.