Leaving job after a year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lolzthrowa

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It's sub-optimal, but s*** happens. They'd be annoyed but there isn't really anything they can do about it other than make you pay back part of the signing bonus. When I was a medical director, every single person who left our group for a different job had it lined up and signed before anybody contacted me for a reference, so it's not like I could have nuked anybody's chances if I'd wanted to (although it would have been nice to have the chance to counteroffer in some cases).

You need to look out for you, nobody else is going to.

Reactions: 1 users
It's sub-optimal, but s*** happens. They'd be annoyed but there isn't really anything they can do about it other than make you pay back part of the signing bonus. When I was a medical director, every single person who left our group for a different job had it lined up and signed before anybody contacted me for a reference, so it's not like I could have nuked anybody's chances if I'd wanted to (although it would have been nice to have the chance to counteroffer in some cases).

Thank you for saying this! New to this all so there’s a fear of “retaliation” when I make that new job search. My current references (program leadership) have my back on this and said they are happy to be used again. Once I leave NYC i have no plans of coming back lol.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're looking at outpatient work, there may be some benefit in looking specifically for a 1 year position if possible. Someone going out on an LOA for example. Or, if possible, an acute care job. The amount of work involved with picking up a panel, learning your patients, etc, is not insignificant. If you're doing all acute care, or if they know you're only filling in, it can be much easier (for you).

Reactions: 1 users

Agreed. It’s “sub optimal” but you’d be surprised how often it happens, and I totally agree that you need to look out for #1 and get what you want and need out of any given job.

Look closely at any potential contract and see what the “penalty” is for leaving early. Aside from paying back part of the signon bonus, the other thing they will often do is not pay for tail coverage if you leave early, which is also a consideration given that the cost is not insignificant.

In this scenario, you may want to see if you can find a locums job.

Current IM PGY-3, goal is primary care. Currently at a big academic center (not in NYC). A very long story but husband will be working in NYC for either 1 year or 3 years & we wont know which until Spring 2025. Abundance of PCP jobs but most expecting 2-3 year commitment. Hospitalist in NYC is seemingly nightmarish (so will PC probably but at least I like that…). UC is very FM/EM recruiting & I obviously cannot see kids. Would I be absolutely screwing myself over if I took one of these jobs and left after a year? I know paying back the signing bonus is a given but other thoughts appreciated. And if anyone needs an internist for a year, let me know!
If you're staying for shorter term, hospitalist is usually the better option given the shift work and lack of continuity. PCP usually requires a longer commitment to build up a panel given the continuity involved. If in NYC, try to find a a teaching hospitalist job where residents would be doing nearly all grunt work; otherwise a lot more will fall on the attending given the overall poor ancillary staffing in many NYC hospitals. The other option in your case would be to do telemedicine which would allow you to live from anywhere and not switch jobs when you move. However note that telemedicine seems saturated right now so employed positions tend to pay low (unless you want to start your own telemedicine practice).

Reactions: 1 user
You're a doctor. You're needed by the system, desperately. Simply tell them upfront you're only willing to sign a year. They will find a way to accommodate

Reactions: 2 users
i think there’s ways to make this work. you could just be upfront about it, or not say anything and just make sure the contract won’t screw you as noted above.

we had a fam med doc that “retired” from a clinic i worked at. he lived in another state. but every two to three months our so he’d come for a a week or two and work the clinic. he just picked up overflow patients, same day folks, etc. was great for the clinic, great for pts, and was great for him.

A place like a resident clinic may be something to consider, since at that point you're not really building continuity with your patients in the same way as a regular practice. Mount Sinai has a bunch of postings for spots all 3 of their programs and I think NYU does as well.

But realistically leaving after a year or two is super common and as a PCP you're in such high demand that it really won't matter--especially if you aren't staying in NYC.

Don’t say a thing up front
Get the highest paying or easiest job you can
Try and negotiate a higher first year base pay rather than recruitment incentives
Don’t spend your signing bonus
Be pleasant

9 months in explain that you have family problems and need to move. Give your 90 days notice.

Happens all the time. It’s a job.

Reactions: 4 users