Leadership?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Peterpiper1

5+ Year Member
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
i know, another one of these threads, but if I’m going to ask anyone it’d be you guys.
Is leadership that important in terms of residency chances?
I’m expecting to graduate with a fairly high gpa, several club memberships but I can’t seem to nail down a leadership spot. I should say I was selected for a internship position at a prestigious hospital where I’m currently spending my time at when not in school.
Will not having a leadership position really eliminate my residency chances?

Like my drink, give it to me straight.

Members don't see this ad.

I didn’t have any leadership during pharmacy. Still got a residency. All depends on where you apply and how you present it. I presented it as “I’m here for more opportunities for that”

Reactions: 1 user
I think it depends. A friend of mine applied to almost all of the same programs. We both were looking for the same types of experiences. We both wanted ample teaching opportunities, experiences in pediatrics and adult medicine, interprofessional relationships. We applied to a lot of large academic medical centers and institutions.

Her and I on paper are incredibly different. She has worked for a number of years. Was a tech and chose to go back to school for pharmacy. Worked 3rd shift at a hospital throughout her time in the program. Still competitive GPA, but because of her work certainly was not a 4.0. Also, she had very little leadership positions due to her work. She did complete several posters, and presented at Midyear.

I, however, only have had a PRN intern position for a little over a yr in a hospital. I was also a graduate assistant in our COPH. I had more leadership positions than I could quite honestly count. Competitive GPA, but certainly not a 4.0. I completed posters and presented at regional & local conferences but no national. Really not as research and work experience strong, but definitely got the leadership in the bag.

We were both invited to different programs. One I was invited to, she was denied, and vice versa. There is only 1 program that invited us both.

Case-in-point: COMPLETELY depends on the program and what they consider to be important. We both have numerous interviews at this time. Honestly, something I have learned is that you want to fit in with a residency program where things that were important in your life and your time in school is equally as important to them. If you think work is more important, then work. If you think involvement/leadership is more important, then get involved/lead. You will ultimately find the right residency program for you.

However you should always get that GPA up as high as you can while doing what is important to you :)

Reactions: 1 users
Allow me to share some of my experiences and prospective.

GPA is usually the cut off we use to weed out potential candidates.
As for leadership position, we are actually looking at the initiatives taken, and problem solving skills. So if someone who have robust meaningful working experience, that likely would be valued more than class presidents.

Not everyone is going to be a leader, most pharmacist at hospital systems are staff who don’t want more responsibilities. However, we still need people with leadership abilities to step up when needed.

We want to see residents who can take the rein. Who can make executive decision on the weekend when everyone called off. We need newbie who can stand up to older technicians and motivate them.

Bottomline, we are looking someone either are like us or complement us. Someone the whole team can get along. Take easy, stay cool and be friendly. Don’t be a rigid bookworm and someone who can stand their ground.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users