Is residency possible with no leadership activities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BlueOcean887

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have no leadership activities what so ever on my CV. My GPA is a 3.4 now and I do have extra-curricular activities and community service. I have also done research (no publications) and received a couple of scholarships. My reason for no leadership activities is because I worked 2 jobs during my entire time in pharmacy school. I worked at a local hospital as a pharmacy technician and at CVS also as a tech. What do you think my chances are of getting a residency w/out leadership? should I even bother applying?

Members don't see this ad.

I saw lots of students that had subpar activities (and sometimes subpar CVs in general) get residencies this past year. The key is just applying to a lot of places, so far as I can tell.

Reactions: 1 user
I had practically zero.

No research, no leadership, a handful of really stupid member line items (I paid dues?)

Entirely work related experience with glowing LOR. I also had a poster to present at ASHP courtesy of a work-related project....which I guess is sort of research, but nothing bench related like my friends.

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel residencies prefer work experience the most

My leadership experience mostly came through working in small groups at school or through my part-time employment that led to objective results (i.e. placing in competitions, poster presentations, cost-savings workflow studies). I played these up well on my CV.

Leadership isn't just holding an executive board title.

Reactions: 1 user
Definitely possible. A lot of programs asked me something along the lines of "What is one thing your CV is lacking.."

For me, it was volunteer work--because I worked a ton as a hospital intern (which is really a strength). I would be sure to emphasize that you weren't able to be an officer or something due to your work, research, etc. No one has time for everything, and IMO the people who have a much of leadership positions in crap organizations don't look any better than someone who has minor roles but is more concerned with getting to an endpoint rather than acquiring a title.