Lawsuits, malpractice, and everything else

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyanide12345678

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious...I know lawsuits are common, but really how common are they? Just curious to see if anyone with a very high number has ever had any issues with getting malpractice insurance.

So.... How often have you been sued, were you dismissed or settled? What amount of settlement? Did it affect your life in anyway once it was over? Diminishing future job prospects if high rate of lawsuits?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if you'll get many responses posing your question in such a way..."who's the pack leader of lawsuits in here?" lol.. That being said, I think this forum is overdue for a good malpractice related thread which I've always thought would be very educational and enlightening for any residents in here.

I've been sued once. It settled for well under the minimum state reporting requirements.

Most of my colleagues whom I've broached the topic with....that have been doing this for at least 10 years or more have usually been sued at least once. I knew a med director one time that if truth be told...had been sued close to 20 times and "won" all of them, which I think means either won outright or settled for under minimum state reporting requirements. I don't know if this is actually true or not but it's what I heard... He had been in practice for over 30 years. He was actually, believe it or not, an excellent clinician though an extreme minimalist and routinely saw over 2.5pph. Superb documentation, really covered his ass. Again though, I don't know if that is all true. If he'd really been sued 20 times, some of that is probably due to lifelong administration work and getting named on subordinate, APC suits, etc..

Another of my colleagues who's also been in practice for 30 years told me that he's been sued three times and one of them has been tied up in the system for over 9 years.

As to your other question, I've not had any issues with malpractice coverage and you wouldn't realistically ever have any real problems with this unless your malpractice history was egregious...on the order of 4-5 lawsuits every 10 years and all of them really large settlements. Personally, I've never heard of anyone having issues getting malpractice coverage. Most people have been sued at least once throughout their career. Sometimes people get lucky and can go without one, but most can't. For the residents, remember this when you're choosing which state to practice. Something as simple as choosing a malpractice happy state with little tort reform can make a big impact on future headaches.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
12 years in EM, sued once. Settled for a small amount. I've always heard the average is about 1 every 10 years, so you figure you'll likely be sued 2-3 times during your career. Some will be sued more, some less. But no one is out there getting sued every year, and if they are, they probably truly are a problem.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not sure if you'll get many responses posing your question in such a way..."who's the pack leader of lawsuits in here?" lol.. That being said, I think this forum is overdue for a good malpractice related thread which I've always thought would be very educational and enlightening for any residents in here.

I've been sued once. It settled for well under the minimum state reporting requirements.

Most of my colleagues whom I've broached the topic with....that have been doing this for at least 10 years or more have usually been sued at least once. I knew a med director one time that if truth be told...had been sued close to 20 times and "won" all of them, which I think means either won outright or settled for under minimum state reporting requirements. I don't know if this is actually true or not but it's what I heard... He had been in practice for over 30 years. He was actually, believe it or not, an excellent clinician though an extreme minimalist and routinely saw over 2.5pph. Superb documentation, really covered his ass. Again though, I don't know if that is all true. If he'd really been sued 20 times, some of that is probably due to lifelong administration work and getting named on subordinate, APC suits, etc..

Another of my colleagues who's also been in practice for 30 years told me that he's been sued three times and one of them has been tied up in the system for over 9 years.

As to your other question, I've not had any issues with malpractice coverage and you wouldn't realistically ever have any real problems with this unless your malpractice history was egregious...on the order of 4-5 lawsuits every 10 years and all of them really large settlements. Personally, I've never heard of anyone having issues getting malpractice coverage. Most people have been sued at least once throughout their career. Sometimes people get lucky and can go without one, but most can't. For the residents, remember this when you're choosing which state to practice. Something as simple as choosing a malpractice happy state with little tort reform can make a big impact on future headaches.

You're right. I had a crappy title. I changed it. From what you're saying, if malpractice insurance is never a problem, then why are lawsuits a big deal? Other than an annoyance, do they really even affect our lives? It's not our personal money the lawyers are after. We don't lose anything usually right?

Also your post was very informative, hopefully people will continue sharing their own experiences.

You're right. I had a crappy title. I changed it. From what you're saying, if malpractice insurance is never a problem, then why are lawsuits a big deal? Other than an annoyance, do they really even affect our lives? It's not our personal money the lawyers are after. We don't lose anything usually right?

Also your post was very informative, hopefully people will continue sharing their own experiences.

Physicians are competitive. Physicians like to win. Physicians hate being told - even by idiots - that they did something wrong. Physicians take it as a personal insult when in reality it is just business for everyone else in the system.

Malpractice cases are lawyers creating business for other lawyers. It will not involve you unless you let it involve you. (See my first paragraph.) Sure, it is possible that there would be an "above limits" judgement, but that is bad for the plaintiff's business, so it is incredibly rare. I was far more worried about a suit from one of my kids skidding on a patch of ice and taking out a school bus, or not allowing a drunk kid in our house (who then crashed into a bus full of nuns).

Reactions: 1 user
Follow up question for anyone, everyone in the medical chart usually gets named. But usually to be responsible for paying out a settlement, should there be some fault involved? Or can everything be done perfectly and still you can have a payout?

Follow up question for anyone, everyone in the medical chart usually gets named. But usually to be responsible for paying out a settlement, should there be some fault involved? Or can everything be done perfectly and still you can have a payout?

Time for my a little knowledge is a dangerous thing disclaimer.

When a suit is filed, it is sort of like "speak now or forever hold your peace." In other words, if a suit is filed and after it has made its way to or past trial, they find they left someone out, there is a good chance they will not be able to sue them at a later date. (That is like boiling down gastroenterology to "stuff goes in, stuff comes out.") So basically, when a suit is filed, they have to name anyone who there could conceivably be a claim against. (Or the attorney could be sued for malpractice.) As soon as discovery begins, people, physicians and organizations are routinely dismissed from the case.

Now, in order for there to be a recovery for malpractice, there must by a violation of standard of care. In addition to some other stuff. However, when it comes to a settlement, there is consideration of what verdict a jury might return. Here is an example from decades ago: At a military hospital a young kid (say 6) was brought in with severe sepsis. She was immediately flown to the local children's hospital where she died a few hours later. The family filed a claim against the government and then later a suit when that was denied. (The technicalities of suing the federal government.) In the then handwritten medical records, a nurse apparently did not reset her watch, because there was an entry that was one hour earlier than possible. The time for the vital signs was before she was admitted. Based on that error, the regional JAG medical malpractice attorney recommended the government settle the case. ("Kid dies a horrible death. A verdict against the government doesn't hurt anyone, and they have a minuscule hook to decide the case, the government is going to lose if we go to trial.") So to answer the question, if things went "perfectly" there would be no injury and no suit. However, there can be a debate as to what exactly the "standard of care" was and if an injury was caused by that act.

There can also be a settlement if the care of another physician was found to be at fault. An example would be the ordering physician if a radiologist misses a finding (that the ordering physician should suspect or would be obvious on a cursory review of the imaging), or an anesthesiologist when malpractice by a surgeon is alleged. There is also the case of negligence by a subordinate. If you are an attending and a resident or medical student discharges a "neck pain" patient without telling you he exists, you would still face liability. The same would be true in a private practice setting if a nurse was negligent.

So basically, people are frequently named in suits and then quickly removed. For malpractice, there must be personal negligence, but there are many situations where settling is a smart move.

I've been sued twice. Once for malpractice. Was named in a suit, but was later dropped. I came in at 6 am, was told the patient was obtunded at 6:30 (never received sign out as the original treating physician left at 2 am), and ended up figuring out what was going on. Was dropped from suit after deposition.

Was also sued in small claims court over a patient's bill. Uninsured patient who he claims hospital told him that he could wipe his whole bill if he paid $1,000 immediately prior to discharge from ER. In reality, their policy is 50% reduction of charges if some percentage of total bill is paid at discharge. Judge quickly dismissed it stating he can't sue the individual but must sue the company and told him he had to pay charges in full in cash (had to go to an ATM to get them). The guy worked overseas and had >$100,000 in his checking account.

Even though I wasn't at fault in either one, I still must list it on every credentialing application.

• Wow
Just curious...I know lawsuits are common, but really how common are they? Just curious to see if anyone with a very high number has ever had any issues with getting malpractice insurance.

So.... How often have you been sued, were you dismissed or settled? What amount of settlement? Did it affect your life in anyway once it was over? Diminishing future job prospects if high rate of lawsuits?
You will all be sued at least once in your career. I believe the average for EM physicians is one suit every 5 years or 10,000 patients. I've been a doctor almost 20 years now. I've been sued twice, which over a 20 year stretch is actually below the average. In both instances, I was falsely accused. The first one left me incredibly despondent for one week, then I got angry about the false accusation, and it ate at me for a couple of years, until over. It went down similar to this which I posted first on an SDN thread, then on KevinMD.

The second one, also a false accusation in which I followed the standard of care, didn't hit me as hard because I had already been through the process once. I was advised by my lawyers that even though I followed the standard of care, shouldn't have even been named and had multiple experts lined up to testify to that fact, to settle for a smallish amount of money to get me out of the case. They informed me that everyone else was settling and getting out of the case. They advised me, that if I didn't also, and we took the case to trial and unexpectedly lost, that I risked getting dinged for the whole award. If you go to trial and win, all is well, other than the fact that you had to spend a miserable awful week in court being on trial for something where you did nothing wrong. If you go to trial and the jury unexpectedly rules for the plaintiff, while everyone else settled, you're on the hook for the whole amount even if you were only assigned 1% fault (joint & severable liability). They also advised me that they hate having one of their defendants left fighting the case, even if 100% innocent, while others have settled. This can result in something they call "empty chair" where witnesses start pointing fingers and blaming the providers that are out of the case (since the testimony can't hurt them anymore) like decoys. Although it doesn't hurt the already settled ex-defendants, since they're out of the case, it ends up sabotaging the remaining defendants (even if innocent), since the jury ends up being persuaded somebody must have done something was wrong (since providers are pointing fingers) and those remaining get stuck responsible for the whole award, even if innocent or with only a tiny fraction of responsibility.

Bottom line on the second case was: You followed standard of care. You did everything right. We don't think you should even have been named. But we'd rather throw a trivial amount of money at them to get you out of this case, to prevent the outside chance this blows up in your face, if those with the real risk, settle. Then if you gamble and get caught as the only defendant left, the jury feels bad for the plaintiff and feels they have to blame someone with a big insurance policy, then it hits the newspapers the next day, that the big award, that you had nothing to do with, was rendered against you and only you. Then you have this big judgement on your record when you did nothing wrong. So, I decided to have my lawyers and med/mal insurance company pay a trivial amount to settle me out of a case in which I did nothing wrong, to make the whole thing go away, and to save me from having to spend a week in court being cross examined and on trial. This is actually what they recommended and were also happy with. Since I know essentially all doctors are sued eventually, and that having at least one settlement or even award on the NPDB is the norm, I chose to take this option. It's not only a matter of, "Did you follow the standard of care or not?" There's actually a fair amount of strategy involved. Lawyers don't sue you because you did something wrong. They sue you because there was a bad outcome, you have an insurance policy which to them is a pinata filled with $1million/$3million dollars, and they think they can persuade a jury or your insurance company to let them take a swing at it.

If you remember one thing from this post of mine, when you get sued, remember that it's not about you or your worth as a doctor or a person. It's entirely about lawyers fighting over an insurance company's money. It's NOT about you. It's about money. Remember that.

To bring it back circle to the fact that you will get sued at least once, all of you. The reason I know you'll be sued, is not because I know you'll make a mistake at some point. That's not the reason. The reason is be you have an insurance policy with a million dollar pot of gold in it. The lawyers see you not as a physician. When they see you walking around, the see you like a character in a video game. As you walk by in your scrubs, they see a shiny "$1million/$3 million" floating above your head, the neurosurgeon with a "$3million/$5million" floating over his head and they're the player trying to get the "ding! ding! ding! ding! ding!" payout. To them, you're the pinata, they're the player, and the "case" is just the stick.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
You will all be sued at least once in your career. I believe the average for EM physicians is one suit every 5 years or 10,000 patients. I've been a doctor almost 20 years now. I've been sued twice, which over a 20 year stretch is actually below the average. In both instances, I was falsely accused. The first one left me incredibly despondent for one week, then I got angry about the false accusation, and it ate at me for a couple of years, until over. It went down similar to this which I posted first on an SDN thread, then on KevinMD.

The second one, also a false accusation in which I followed the standard of care, didn't hit me as hard because I had already been through the process once. I was advised by my lawyers that even though I followed the standard of care, shouldn't have even been named and had multiple experts lined up to testify to that fact, to settle for a smallish amount of money to get me out of the case. They informed me that everyone else was settling and getting out of the case. They advised me, that if I didn't also, and we took the case to trial and unexpectedly lost, that I risked getting dinged for the whole award. If you go to trial and win, all is well, other than the fact that you had to spend a miserable awful week in court being on trial for something where you did nothing wrong. If you go to trial and the jury unexpectedly rules for the plaintiff, while everyone else settled, you're on the hook for the whole amount even if you were only assigned 1% fault (joint & severable liability). They also advised me that they hate having one of their defendants left fighting the case, even if 100% innocent, while others have settled. This can result in something they call "empty chair" where witnesses start pointing fingers and blaming the providers that are out of the case (since the testimony can't hurt them anymore) like decoys. Although it doesn't hurt the already settled ex-defendants, since they're out of the case, it ends up sabotaging the remaining defendants (even if innocent), since the jury ends up being persuaded somebody must have done something was wrong (since providers are pointing fingers) and those remaining get stuck responsible for the whole award, even if innocent or with only a tiny fraction of responsibility.

Bottom line on the second case was: You followed standard of care. You did everything right. We don't think you should even have been named. But we'd rather throw a trivial amount of money at them to get you out of this case, to prevent the outside chance this blows up in your face, if those with the real risk, settle. Then if you gamble and get caught as the only defendant left, the jury feels bad for the plaintiff and feels they have to blame someone with a big insurance policy, then it hits the newspapers the next day, that the big award, that you had nothing to do with, was rendered against you and only you. Then you have this big judgement on your record when you did nothing wrong. So, I decided to have my lawyers and med/mal insurance company pay a trivial amount to settle me out of a case in which I did nothing wrong, to make the whole thing go away, and to save me from having to spend a week in court being cross examined and on trial. This is actually what they recommended and were also happy with. Since I know essentially all doctors are sued eventually, and that having at least one settlement or even award on the NPDB is the norm, I chose to take this option. It's not only a matter of, "Did you follow the standard of care or not?" There's actually a fair amount of strategy involved. Lawyers don't sue you because you did something wrong. They sue you because there was a bad outcome, you have an insurance policy which to them is a pinata filled with $1million/$3million dollars, and they think they can persuade a jury or your insurance company to let them take a swing at it.

If you remember one thing from this post of mine, when you get sued, remember that it's not about you or your worth as a doctor or a person. It's entirely about lawyers fighting over an insurance company's money. It's NOT about you. It's about money. Remember that.

To bring it back circle to the fact that you will get sued at least once, all of you. The reason I know you'll be sued, is not because I know you'll make a mistake at some point. That's not the reason. The reason is be you have an insurance policy with a million dollar pot of gold in it. The lawyers see you not as a physician. When they see you walking around, the see you like a character in a video game. As you walk by in your scrubs, they see a shiny "$1million/$3 million" floating above your head, the neurosurgeon with a "$3million/$5million" floating over his head and they're the player trying to get the "ding! ding! ding! ding! ding!" payout. To them, you're the pinata, they're the player, and the "case" is just the stick.
What a god awful system.

Reactions: 6 users
What no one has mentioned yet is that, if you are one of the people named, but you had nothing to do with it, it will end up costing you $5-10k to get your name off the suit. Even if it something such as the following: your shift ends at 8am. A pt comes in at 7:55am, but isn't even back in the ED until 8:05. Automatically, your name was placed on the chart. You're gone - you never see the pt, and it is the following doc who does/doesn't screw up. $10 grand to a shyster.

Also, 5/6 of suits that go to trial are found in favor of the doctor. As such, it really does smack of "jackpot justice".

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure, it is possible that there would be an "above limits" judgement, but that is bad for the plaintiff's business, so it is incredibly rare.
How is this bad for plaintiff's business?

How is this bad for plaintiff's business?

Because these mega-verdicts are almost always reduced anyways and appeals just take up more of the lawyers time. They may get a 100 million dollar verdict, but they know almost certainly they aren't getting anywhere close to that amount of money. They know the parties they are suing have caps in their malpractice amounts. These big verdicts look nice for their business, but they don't want to spend another year in court with appealing the verdict when in the end they know they likely are just going to get the capped amount. So an agreement is typically reached where the plaintiff then settles for the capped amount in exchange for the defendant dropping any right to appeal. Mega-verdicts are almost never paid out, despite all the press they get.

Mega-verdicts are almost never paid out, despite all the press they get.
I know of two, because they put the Long Island College Hospital out of business; they were both in the $40-50 million range, and depleted the once $100 million endowment (bonus factoid - that endowment was endowed by a couple that were ground floor investors with the "Oracle of Omaha" - Warren Buffett).

I know of two, because they put the Long Island College Hospital out of business; they were both in the $40-50 million range, and depleted the once $100 million endowment (bonus factoid - that endowment was endowed by a couple that were ground floor investors with the "Oracle of Omaha" - Warren Buffett).

Yeah, its just not common. They typically go after the hospital first bc their carrier caps are much higher than the individual physician. I'm not aware of any data showing how many verdicts that exceed physician and hospital caps actually get collected on. I know it can happen, but everything I've ever heard about this situation is that it is exceedingly rare.

Been sued 3 times. Dropped in all 3 prior to deposition stage but still went through anxiety of being notified of case , trying to figure out what if anything I did wrong, and hours of talking with counsel about the case. Fun fact, because the chance of getting money from a case in TX is so low, the lawyers that take malpractice cases put exactly 0 effort into their initial brief. I’ve been named where I was the only defendant for who they had the correct name, I’ve been named on a patient where my name never appeared in the chart, and I’ve been sued for missing sepsis on a patient that arrived obtunded, was treated aggressively for sepsis, and was admitted to the icu with a diagnosis of septic shock. It was obvious they had downloaded a legal form for filing suit on patient that died of sepsis and they just cut and pasted my name.

Reactions: 5 users
Props to everyone that contributed, especially the ones that shared their malpractice history. Threads like this are good, healthy and honest and give a realistic picture of what it's like out there. So, to anyone being sued the first time, just know that you aren't alone. There are many more of us than you think (majority of EM docs for that matter) and you know what? It's ok to get sued. It just goes along with the territory. Nobody is perfect. All of us make mistakes. Ironically, most of your lawsuits will be about cases where you probably didn't make a mistake but hey...that's the way these things go.

The hardest part is having the presence of mind to keep the lawsuit, your career, and your personal life in context while compartmentalizing the litigation so that it doesn't affect the other parts of your life. The fact that most physicians never talk about their malpractice history and are embarrassed/ashamed to admit to anyone that they are going through a lawsuit or went through a lawsuit doesn't help. Many docs falsely assume that nobody else is having to deal with lawsuits which is completely untrue as you can see on this board. I didn't really have anyone to talk to when I got sued several years ago and it was an intense time of anxiety, self doubt and depression. It turned out to be a blessing in disguise because I became familiar and comfortable with the legal process and finally understood that this is just part of our specialty. We are a high litigation field and lawsuits are common. This is what you have malpractice insurance for and even if you are sued every 5 years for the rest of your career (hopefully not!), you're going to probably come out just fine. You'll still be able to practice EM, you'll still be able to get malpractice insurance and most importantly, you'll still be a good doctor. Don't ever let these legal mishaps get you down, it's just part of the job.

Reactions: 2 users
Been thru a jackpot lawsuit.
Promised to share the details on here when all was done and the dust settled.
It's done, and the dust is settled.

I'm going on vacay for my wedding anniversary next week.
After that will be a good time to start a whole thread on the abortion that was my 8 million dollar lawsuit.
I didn't pay a penny, by the way.

Reactions: 11 users

No, not necessarily at all. If you settle, you aren't admitting guilt or liability. It's entirely logical to want to settle a process that is deemed an inherently risky, expensive, and stress inducing experience that you ultimately have no control over. If you take it all the way to trial, you run the risk of a much larger judgement if the jury finds you guilty. Remember, juries are not comprised of your peers where you can lay out the medical chart and implore to their insight and perspicacity. They are comprised of lay people who have no medical knowledge and need to be "taught medicine" throughout the trial. Their opinion is extremely persuadable. They are influenced by things that shouldn't really matter such as...the likability of your lawyer, the likability and attractiveness of your expert witness, their command of english, your performance on the witness stand, maybe even the color of your skin, your sex, etc.. Some cases are worth litigating to the very end because there are fewer unknowns but many cases have quite a few unpredictable variables.

Now, most people reviewing your malpractice history will consider a larger settlement as implied liability without an admission of guilt though again, there is no admission to liability. However, many many cases settle for small amounts and people will assume innocence because the amount was small and because of the prevalence in small settlements to end a case quickly. In fact, many states have minimum reporting requirements for settlements. An example might be anything less than 75K doesn't get reported to the state medical board and enables you to keep a "clean" malpractice record though the settlement will still be reported to the NPDB. In regards to credentialing or practicing somewhere, nobody really pays much attention to small settlements and not even necessarily if you have a large settlement, they are looking to see a pattern. Hopefully that answers your question.

After that will be a good time to start a whole thread on the abortion that was my 8 million dollar lawsuit.

Enjoy the vaca! Get some R & R.

In regards to credentialing or practicing somewhere, nobody really pays much attention to small settlements and not even necessarily if you have a large settlement, they are looking to see a pattern. Hopefully that answers your question.

I feel like it's just very simple to get named in multiple lawsuits over a person's lifetime. I was named for responding to a code blue in the hospital, cardiologist was running it, I didn't do anything. Name was on the code sheet as "other people present". That's all it took to be named. I have officially been dismissed now.

And is there any benefit in having a jury system vs a judge who is educated and probably has a higher intellectual capacity than the average person. My average patients have the understanding of an 8th grader, do I really expect them to understand the intricacies of medicine? I feel the jury system is inherently flawed when people make decisions on mostly likeability instead of culpability.

8 million dollar payout....damn. would love to know which state that is so I can stay far far away from that state

8 million dollar payout....damn. would love to know which state that is so I can stay far far away from that state

Florida.

Although, it doesn't matter... these jackpot lawsuits... the physician never pays a penny.
I am living proof.
The initial demand from plaintiff's attorneys to settle was 26 million.
Everyone in the room (including the mediator) except Plaintiff's counsel audibly scoffed, as they knew it was a circus demand for a circus suit.
I'll never forget that.

I feel like it's just very simple to get named in multiple lawsuits over a person's lifetime. I was named for responding to a code blue in the hospital, cardiologist was running it, I didn't do anything. Name was on the code sheet as "other people present". That's all it took to be named. I have officially been dismissed now.

And is there any benefit in having a jury system vs a judge who is educated and probably has a higher intellectual capacity than the average person. My average patients have the understanding of an 8th grader, do I really expect them to understand the intricacies of medicine? I feel the jury system is inherently flawed when people make decisions on mostly likeability instead of culpability.
As I said above, in cases that go to trial, 83% are won by the doctor. However, I do not know how many of those are non-jury (or, if a civil trial can even be non-jury). I don't think you would really want a "jury of your peers", which could mean people with graduate degrees (master's or PhD, or professional), or other doctors, or even other EM doctors. Recall that, very likely, the only educated people involved in a trial are the judge, the attorneys, and the physician defendant, +/- the expert witnesses. The 83% would drop, precipitously, I suspect, if the jury got smarter. Alternately, if you were one of the 6 that lost, you could appeal on merits of a jury that couldn't understand complex material, and, as such, you were deprived of due process.

So, unintentionally, you reasoned out actual issues in play. Good on ya!

Edit: so, on researching this question, I was reminded of the Bill of Rights (7th Amendment - for cases over $20, jury trials for civil cases), but most state and lower civil trials are bench (judge only) trials - like small claims court. And, for example in NY, you can sue for medical malpractice with a bench trial. One lawyer blog I found said that you didn't want to do that, because judges can be wearied or jaded. They didn't mention that, on dispassionately evaluating facts, that would be a reason why the plaintiff would lose.

Last edited:
Not ED but anesthesia out for 10 yrs one suit, peds case so it dragged on 6 plus years was eventually dropped two days before trial and hospital lost. Was on the stand for 4 hrs, treated as a hostile witness by both hospital and plaintiff attorneys, not fun.

Not ED but anesthesia out for 10 yrs one suit, peds case so it dragged on 6 plus years was eventually dropped two days before trial and hospital lost. Was on the stand for 4 hrs, treated as a hostile witness by both hospital and plaintiff attorneys, not fun.

Why did they treat you as a hostile witness?

Why did they treat you as a hostile witness?

The term "hostile witness" is a bit misleading. It is a designation for a witness whose interests are not aligned with the questioner, and basically allows the attorney who called the witness to ask leading - yes/no - questions. Normally if you are a witness called by the plaintiff (or the defense), it is assumed you will be motivated to provide testimony favorable to the plaintiff and therefore the plaintiff's attorney is not allowed to ask leading questions. The same with the defense. When a witness is called by one side, but the witness has reason to be sympathetic to the other side, courts don't want to spend 3 days on a single witness who hems and haws with their testimony.

Attorney: "What did you do when you went to see the patient."
Witness: "Well I stood up from my chair..."

An attorney doing cross-examination is allowed to ask leading - yes/no - questions. The "hostile witness" designation basically turns that around. As a result, with a "hostile witness" designation, leading questions are allowed from the attorney who called you as a witness.

Attorney: "Isn't it true that when you entered the patient's room you smelled an odor that is associated with a pseudomonas infections?

In summary, the attorney who calls a witness cannot ask leading questions; but the other attorney on cross-examination can. When a witness is designated as hostile by a judge, it means both sides are allowed to ask leading questions. If you as a physician defendant are called as a witness by the plaintiff, it is certain the court will designate you as a "hostile witness." If the plaintiff is called as a witness by the defense, he or she would normally be designated by the court as a hostile witness for the defense. In the case in question, it is likely that the hospital felt the physician was not motivated to provide testimony favorable to the hospital.

I'm in a nuisance one right now that I refused to settle for an incredibly low dollar amount. I don't want to have to report a settlement on future jobs, and I think the likelihood of dismissal is very high.

The Plaintiff's attorney wants me to drive to the other side of Vegas (40 minutes) for a deposition, and they refused to change it somewhere closer. I've told them that since they are wasting nearly 2 hours of my time in the drive, they get 60 minutes of my time once there. I plan to set my phone timer on the desk when I arrive, and leave promptly on time regardless if they are done questioning or not.

Being a civil case, you still have a lot of control over how much time you spend, and when/where you show up.

One thought. ED docs seem to get named in a lawsuit in the range of 1 in 5-10 years of practice. That makes one wonder how often there is former patient or family member of a patient shopping around a potential lawsuit with our name on it? I would think that people do not have the funds to pay for litigation out of pocket and must find a law firm willing to take a case on contingency. Given that many cases aren't taken by law firms (weak case, annoying person to work with, etc.), we must be facing potential litigation on a nearly yearly basis. I can think of times that lawyer friends have mentioned being approached about a case and then deciding not to pursue it, how many times are our notes and discharge instructions being scrutinized without our knowledge? I'm guessing on nearly a yearly basis. That epiphany made me much more cautious on charting and discharge instructions.

One thought. ED docs seem to get named in a lawsuit in the range of 1 in 5-10 years of practice. That makes one wonder how often there is former patient or family member of a patient shopping around a potential lawsuit with our name on it? I would think that people do not have the funds to pay for litigation out of pocket and must find a law firm willing to take a case on contingency. Given that many cases aren't taken by law firms (weak case, annoying person to work with, etc.), we must be facing potential litigation on a nearly yearly basis. I can think of times that lawyer friends have mentioned being approached about a case and then deciding not to pursue it, how many times are our notes and discharge instructions being scrutinized without our knowledge? I'm guessing on nearly a yearly basis. That epiphany made me much more cautious on charting and discharge instructions.

I don't actually worry about it. The cases that go to suits aren't ever the ones I expect. In my nuisance case it isn't even a discharged patients, so instructions, etc. were irrelevant.

Anyone know what the deal was with the medicine around that huge St. Barnabas verdict?

It's a good thing to be cognizant about and I think about that too. I try to never go faster than I feel comfortable (<2.5pph high acuity shop is my threshold for comfort) and I document defensively. Even something as simple as stating that you discussed all labs and imaging results with the pt could go along way in preventing a suit for the incidental pulmonary nodule that you forgot to place on your diagnosis that ended up being cancer in the pt who presented for X and received a chest x-ray.

Which reminds me is one of the annoyances with our night time CT reads which are preliminary wet reads that get over read in the a.m. I just finished calling a pt back I saw 2 days ago to tell them about a couple of nodules noted on the 7am read after I had discharged them and recommended f/u per fleischner guidelines.

18 yrs, One lawsuit that I am dealing with over the past year. I was hoping to go my whole career without one.

Oh well, hope it gets dismissed.

My residency director once said lawsuits are just the cost of doing business.

And they can sue you when you’re dead too.... your estate...

My residency director once said lawsuits are just the cost of doing business.

And they can sue you when you’re dead too.... your estate...

No the cost of doing business is the 200k you paid to go to medical school and the sleep and time with friends/family you sacrificed during that time, in residency, and then as an attending. Oh and all the income you deferred in your 20s.

Malpractice in this country is a means for plaintiffs attorneys and jackpot seekers to get rich, drives up healthcare costs, and creates needless anxiety for physicians.

$110 Million? Really? Crossing NY off the list of potential jobs.

I assume the case was above the MDs limits. If so, Can they go after assets in NYC?

I assume the case was above the MDs limits. If so, Can they go after assets in NYC?
I am not a lawyer, but my understanding is that it depends on the assets. Retirement accounts and homestead is generally not something that can be targeted. Personal bank balances likely can. That said, even if this plaintiff was awarded an insane amount, she will likely settle with the docs for policy limits as the alternative is that they appeal and she gets nothing while the case is tied up in appellate court and potentially wins nothing if the verdict is ultimately overturned.

Hasn't the topic of going after physician assets been discussed here? Or maybe I'm thinking of another forum.

It will be appealed or settled to insurance limits. It's usually not worth it to go after physician assets.

From a med mal law firm: Going After an Uninsured Provider's Assets in a Medical Malpractice Claim | Gilman & Bedigian

I did find an article previously (cant find it now) where a lawyer stated he had gone after physician assets, but more so to "teach a lesson" by getting a relatively small amount (e.g. 50,000) from the physician.

I did find an article previously (cant find it now) where a lawyer stated he had gone after physician assets, but more so to "teach a lesson" by getting a relatively small amount (e.g. 50,000) from the physician.
Probably from here: https://www.medicaleconomics.com/pediatrics/could-malpractice-mega-verdict-wipe-you-out

"Less than two years earlier, the plaintiffs' attorney, James R. Duffy, had won a similar case against the same two doctors. In that case, they'd refused to settle before trial, and the jury returned a $10.5 million judgment against them. After the verdict, the two doctors settled the case for an amount within their policy limits, but Duffy sensed that they'd felt they had "beaten" him.

This time, when the two ob/gyns refused to settle before trial, Duffy was angry because he was convinced that the case against them was indefensible. The jury apparently agreed, and delivered an $80 million verdict for the plaintiffs. During post-trial negotiations, the doctors agreed to settle for an amount close to their combined coverage. But this time Duffy insisted that they contribute some of their own money. Together, they ended up paying about $60,000 out of pocketnot enough to break them, but certainly enough to get their attention."

Probably from here: https://www.medicaleconomics.com/pediatrics/could-malpractice-mega-verdict-wipe-you-out

"Less than two years earlier, the plaintiffs' attorney, James R. Duffy, had won a similar case against the same two doctors. In that case, they'd refused to settle before trial, and the jury returned a $10.5 million judgment against them. After the verdict, the two doctors settled the case for an amount within their policy limits, but Duffy sensed that they'd felt they had "beaten" him.

This time, when the two ob/gyns refused to settle before trial, Duffy was angry because he was convinced that the case against them was indefensible. The jury apparently agreed, and delivered an $80 million verdict for the plaintiffs. During post-trial negotiations, the doctors agreed to settle for an amount close to their combined coverage. But this time Duffy insisted that they contribute some of their own money. Together, they ended up paying about $60,000 out of pocketnot enough to break them, but certainly enough to get their attention."

Yep, that's the one!

Upstate NY is a nice place to live, cheap nice houses, good schools, good em market. Still high taxes though.

Weather, cost of living, tort reform, taxes, family...

I need at least 4 of those and upstate NY has maybe 1....