Anyone ever get private malpractice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

larpleston

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am being asked to come on as med director for a private air transport service. The medics only administer prescribed meds in route and they apparently have never needed to call the med director for anything the past few years. It involves transport of stable patients and it sounds like my main (only) responsibility is ordering NS, oxygen, and ACLS drugs so they have them in stock. All protocols are already done. Apparently the old directors just didn’t have med mal which seems crazy but my efforts to find insurance aren’t going super well. Since the old director left they have been operating without a doc. Anyone have any private med mal companies they liked? Is it nuts to just not get med mal for this job since I basically only help them make sure they are stocked with a few different meds?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am being asked to come on as med director for a private air transport service. The medics only administer prescribed meds in route and they apparently have never needed to call the med director for anything the past few years. It involves transport of stable patients and it sounds like my main (only) responsibility is ordering NS, oxygen, and ACLS drugs so they have them in stock. All protocols are already done. Apparently the old directors just didn’t have med mal which seems crazy but my efforts to find insurance aren’t going super well. Since the old director left they have been operating without a doc. Anyone have any private med mal companies they liked? Is it nuts to just not get med mal for this job since I basically only help them make sure they are stocked with a few different meds?
You are the medical director. You are liable for literally anything that goes wrong with these patients regardless of whether or not they have to do with the meds you order. I would definitely be reviewing all of their protocols and would 100% be carrying malpractice insurance. If the insurance costs end up making the job financially pointless, I wouldn't take it.

Reactions: 9 users
You are the medical director. You are liable for literally anything that goes wrong with these patients regardless of whether or not they have to do with the meds you order. I would definitely be reviewing all of their protocols and would 100% be carrying malpractice insurance. If the insurance costs end up making the job financially pointless, I wouldn't take it.
Yeah that was my thinking. I guess the previous directors were just living on the edge. Anyone know of a good company for this sort of thing? Contacted Doctor’s Choice and Geico’s medmal departments and was told they were unable to offer coverage. And anyone estimate on how much private insurance costs? Really have no idea if it’s 5 or 50k a year.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Talk to a malpractice broker. They will get you multiple quotes.

Being the doc without malpractice is like free solo climbing. Its great 99% of the time but when that wind kicks, footing slip, arm cramps up; you are looking at death.

You literally are trusting your livelihood on the winds blowing the wrong way.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah that was my thinking. I guess the previous directors were just living on the edge. Anyone know of a good company for this sort of thing? Contacted Doctor’s Choice and Geico’s medmal departments and was told they were unable to offer coverage. And anyone estimate on how much private insurance costs? Really have no idea if it’s 5 or 50k a year.
Geico has med malpractice? lol

I’m the medical director of a ground EMS service. If you join NAEMSP, you get a discount on medical director malpractice through NFP.

I pay 4K a year for mine

Reactions: 1 users