law school anyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2b20004

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
anyone consider law school before or during med school or whatever grad school ur in now, i was in med school, had to take a leave of absence due to illness, now i am getting older and have so much financial obligations that i was considering law school because of its shorter route. Anyone consider law as a career before or during med school, whats the pros and cons of law school in your opinion, anyone have spouses or friends that are lawyers, how do they like it and how financially secure is it. Any real advice would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

MD2b20004 said:
anyone consider law school before or during med school or whatever grad school ur in now, i was in med school, had to take a leave of absence due to illness, now i am getting older and have so much financial obligations that i was considering law school because of its shorter route. Anyone consider law as a career before or during med school, whats the pros and cons of law school in your opinion, anyone have spouses or friends that are lawyers, how do they like it and how financially secure is it. Any real advice would be appreciated

I'm beginning to think that MD/JD board should really be created...

Hi there,
I am a PGY-3 in General Surgery who just received an acceptance to law school. I am very interested in health policy law and tort reform issues. I guess I get a chance to write some of that legislation now.

My cousin is a pediatric neurosurgeon and attorney. She attended law school long after residency and currently practices both professions. I guess it just runs in the family.

njbmd :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Good Lord! You did a surgery residency and now want to go to law school? Are you a glutton for punishment?

I am a JD who is now applying to med school. I hate law and can't stand lawyers. I really regret going to law school because it's caused nothing but trouble--I had to take the JD off my resume to finally get a job, admissions commitees keep barraging me with questions about why I didn't do law and why now medicine, and I feel like I wasted three precious years in law school when I could have been doing something productive.

-BB

brotherbloat said:
Good Lord! You did a surgery residency and now want to go to law school? Are you a glutton for punishment?

I am a JD who is now applying to med school. I hate law and can't stand lawyers. I really regret going to law school because it's caused nothing but trouble--I had to take the JD off my resume to finally get a job, admissions commitees keep barraging me with questions about why I didn't do law and why now medicine, and I feel like I wasted three precious years in law school when I could have been doing something productive.

-BB

Hi there,
Gee whiz, sorry you had such a rough time. I have totally enjoyed and continue to enjoy surgery. Surgery is the ultimate challenge and I enjoy every minute of it. I would not have chosen to do a General Surgery residency if I considered it a terrible specialty or punishment. Life is too short to be miserable. Like my cousin, I seem to have an aptitude for both professions and I will probably practice with her.

Good luck in your quest for med school!
njbmd :)

Ahh sounds like you are tense brotherbloat =)

I am a 2nd year law student, who has recently decided to apply to medical school. Although I know that law is not my passion, I have decided to make the best of my situation. Personally law school has taught me discpline, hardwork, and has made me a stronger person.

In the end I think this will help me get through medicine, even though it is a completely differnt careet path. Brother bloat I would urge you to turn your negative law school experience into a positive if it is at all possible. Attorneys can be scary people, and i do not care what anyone says, law school is tough, there has never been a B or even a C that I have gotten that I did not have to work super hard for.

Before I came to law school, I was a lazy unconfident person, law school has made me ten times more confident then I was before, and it has made me a harder worker. I would urge you to emphasize the positives that law school has taught you. I know that ADCOMs are going to question my career switch, but life is not always about having one career, or one path. Very few people really know what they want to do when they are 19 years old.

I am not sure how this whole thing is going to work out, but I believe that in the end, the law is going to make me a more well rounded person. I certainly do not suggest this path for anyone else, but if you are in my circumstances I would urge you to make the best of it.

Cheers!

Friend of mine took a J.D., worked for 3 yrs as an associate, and then took an M.D. Works as a dermatologist now, and basically uses his law background very little, even though his resume blows your socks off (Harvard Law/Yale Med).
Except perhaps for medical examiners, there's very little overlap between the two professions (despite mal lit etc) and it'll be fairly tough to stay current on both. MD/MBA, MD/MPA etc. probably would make more sense, as it can get you to medical management better than MD/JD....