MD/JD Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted413795

I am currently entering residency and am interested in pursuing a JD. I always knew I would eventually get either an MBA or a JD in addition to my MD, but was not sure which in the past. Over the past year I have realized that practicing as a lawyer very much appeals to me (I have a strong history and debate background prior to med school).

What would your advice be going forward? Is completing residency a total waste of time if I eventually want to be a lawyer, or does it make sense to complete residency, pay off loans, and then look into the JD 5-10 years down the road?

I realize this is a very complicated decision and there is so much information necessary to give a fully informed answer, but any opinion would be appreciate. Thank you very much for your time.

Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but I could not find a dedicated MD/JD forum here.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently entering residency and am interested in pursuing a JD. I always knew I would eventually get either an MBA or a JD in addition to my MD, but was not sure which in the past. Over the past year I have realized that practicing as a lawyer very much appeals to me (I have a strong history and debate background prior to med school).

What would your advice be going forward? Is completing residency a total waste of time if I eventually want to be a lawyer, or does it make sense to complete residency, pay off loans, and then look into the JD 5-10 years down the road?

I realize this is a very complicated decision and there is so much information necessary to give a fully informed answer, but any opinion would be appreciate. Thank you very much for your time.

Also, I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place, but I could not find a dedicated MD/JD forum here.

If you only want to work as a lawyer then finishing residency is a waste of time. If you still like medicine and want to practice medicine in addition to law, then residency may be worth it if you want to work as an expert witness.