Late + low step 2

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biscuit_man

Reaction score
Hi all,

Current M4 applying DR. Complex set of circumstances; had an illness episode (bout of gastroenteritis - likely viral) and had to delay step II. As a result had to submit ERAS, then sit for the test a week later, and finally received my score today. Yes, I'm dumb and was playing with fire by scheduling it late enough that this could happen. Understandably been doing pretty poorly with interviews so far.

USMD at T20
Step I: 264 (research year)
Step II: 245
Research: 11 articles in press, 10ish posters, 5ish articles submitted. Mostly basic/translational imaging stuff.
ECs: service/interest groups - average.

Pretty bummed on the score since I feel like I could do much better under more normal circumstances, given my step 1 and everything I had going on. Maybe should have delayed it another week or two, since if my score was going to be late it'd be better for it not to be low. I felt like I had to push for it to get out by mid October though, before everything solidified and all the invites were done. It was crazy stressful trying to do everything at once, but no excuses - my performance is on me and me alone.

Anyway, what's done is done and I can't go back. Two questions:
  • How trashed are my chances?
    • I'm trying not to perseverate about it since there's nothing I can really do at this point, but I feel pretty bad. 245 seems like a score right at the margins of being screened out, if I haven't been screened already for being late. Some places may screen anywhere into the 250s.
    • And even if I make it past that point, I imagine rank list head-to-heads might not go in my favor.
    • Step I may help me a little bit, but I'm very skeptical of how much, since probably like 5% of the pool has a scored step I.
  • What to do now?
    • I guess I was thinking of sending emails to as many programs I can notifying about updated score, but when that updated score is below average you wonder if it's even worth it to do so.
    • Maybe get ready to make a push to try to stay at my home program where I'm a bit less of a faceless number.
    • Any other suggestions?
Thanks all for your thoughts!

Members don't see this ad.

You’ll be just fine, that step 2 score won’t hold you back. The shift to step I pass fail is very recent, and all programs will know that step 1 score is stellar.

Focus your efforts on interviewing well, that’s the most important thing by far at this point.