Low-tier community Radiology program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Holierthanthou

Reaction score
USMD Matched at a low-tier community program. I am now worried about my job prospects, fellowship placement with regards to IR fellowship given the increased competitiveness of this cycle, Also just worried about the education I will receive at this program and how Ill be viewed moving forward (By jobs and fellowship). Honestly have been teetering between "glad I got in" to maybe I should have not ranked and done research to increase how competitive I was and apply next cycle. well that ship has sailed.

Im scared to be honest

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Don't worry. Radiology training is highly dependent on individual effort rather than your training institution. You will learn radiology regardless of your attendings or didactic resources (if you put in the effort).

There is not point in worrying about IR fellowship at this point. I was 100% sure I would do IR as medical student/junior radiology resident; I changed my mind once I realized the amazing benefits of being a DR.

The radiology job market is currently one of the most competitive job markets in medicine (although I'm not sure if that will change when you start looking for jobs). There are over 1500 job postings on the ACR website at this time. Groups do not care about your pedigree. In fact, community practices often prefer community graduates over graduates from academic programs. Most academic jobs are less competitive than community jobs, and academic institutions are desperately looking to hire right now. Pedigree is only important for people who want to be subspecialty experts at a place like MGH.

Reactions: 2 users
>In fact, community practices often prefer community graduates over graduates from academic programs.

This is probably a little bold I would think. The broadest alumni base programs are usually top tier, and most of their graduates readily and easily advance into private practice even in tougher job markets.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most private practices will hire the local community program graduate over the hotshot from the big name academic program. They have connections at the local program. They can ask the program attendings about the applicants performance during residency. To them, local graduate=known, MGH graduate=unknown.

Most private practices will hire the local community program graduate over the hotshot from the big name academic program. They have connections at the local program. They can ask the program attendings about the applicants performance during residency. To them, local graduate=known, MGH graduate=unknown.
I don’t know about that. I think most PP will give them equal weight and just go by personality assuming everything else is equal.

I have never seen a practice say “Applicant X is from local program, hire him now. Do not interview the mgh grad.”

I think the key thing here is that program prestige is pretty far down the list of things that matter for job prospects. We like to present the “if all else is equal” scenario for saying prestige matters, but in reality it virtually never is equal.

Don’t let the program you matched at keep you up at night OP. Show up ready to learn and work hard. Be nice to everyone, especially the ancillary staff. If you do your part, job placement and prospects follow.

I don’t know about that. I think most PP will give them equal weight and just go by personality assuming everything else is equal.

I have never seen a practice say “Applicant X is from local program, hire him now. Do not interview the mgh grad.”

Many private practices will take the local graduate because they have connections at the local program and can ask around about the applicant. Most Partners value recommendations from people they know much more than a top notch pedigree.

Radiology is a small community. Most rads in private practice have connections to lots of academic centers including the ivory towers. I know a lot of people at the local university as well as at "elite" institutions. Calling either place is just as easy to check up on an applicant.

Don't worry. You will be fine.