late application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tennesseejed

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted my amcas about October 17th because I had just received the august mcat scores. Hypothetically speaking if I get accepted to my state schools this year but not the more competitive ones. Am I just as likely to get accepted the next year? Or do schools frown on turning down an admission and applying next year? Would it be possible to defer the acceptance and if I get accepted next year to a more competitive school to change my acceptance status to the other school?

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, your chances will be affected - mine certainly were. I have a two part answer for you -
1.) How important is it for you to go to med school next year? Do you have a good backup plan?
2.) How important is it for you to go to a "more competitive" school?
As far as deferring, I really don't understand the point. I was under the impression that you have to apply again, which to me sounds like a waste of time, energy, and money. But maybe someone else who knows more about the deferment process can say something more intelligent about it. :)
If you have any questions about the application process to TN schools, feel free to PM me. Good luck.