This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rogue42

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I am having a really hard time trying to find any solid information on exactly how much longer the DO cycle is than the MD. It is well understood that September is pretty much the latest date to apply for an opportunity for MD school; however, I have not found anything that specific about DO.

I decided not to apply this cycle, but the longer I have waited, the more I have really decided against a gap year if I could help it. I have pretty much everything that I need to apply. I have the AACOM's filled out, I have my committee letter almost done, my personal statement is written, and I have other LOR already in hand. So my question is, how late is considered too late for an opportunity at DO acceptance?

My Stats:
cGPA: 3.57
sGPA: 3.45
-University Student Ambassador (New Student Committee Leader)
-Chemical Medical club, The Wildlife Society, and American Medical Student Association
-400 hours Teaching undergraduate labs
-200 hours at an internship in cardiology, general surgery, family medicine, and anesthesiology at ETSU COM
-60 hours as a volunteer athletic trainer
-20 hours in Vanderbilt Cardiothoracic OR
-I work 10-20 hours a week as a medical scribe in a primary care clinic
-I have held a job for every semester that I have been in college.

I am a Tennessee Resident, and I really like VCOM-Auburn. Their last day to apply is March 1st.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You sound like a solid candidate, not sure why you didn't apply earlier. DO schools interview pretty late into the cycle. I'd apply now. Make sure to apply to DCOM, you'll have an in state advantage.

DCOM? What school is DCOM? I am an Tennessee Resident and our only DO school is LMU-COM, but since they are private they do not have an OOS/IS preference. Or at least that is what I thought.

yeah that's what I meant, LMU-DCOM. Even if there weren't a bias, being in-state can't hurt you so I'd say definitely put it on your list.

What is your MCAT score? Are you still waiting for anything else besides the committee letter?

OHHHH my bad, I follow the DCOM comment now. My MCAT was a 495 in July which is partly why I decided not to apply; however, I have been studying since then. For DCOM , it says "....most recent MCAT within four years prior to matriculation." and VCOM says "We accept the 2018 MCAT" and "MCAT within 4 years of April of the year of Matriculation." So I thought that maybe I could retake it again before I apply.

What is your MCAT score?

My MCAT was a 495 in July which is partly why I decided not to apply; however, I have been studying since then. For DCOM , it says "....most recent MCAT within four years prior to matriculation." and VCOM says "We accept the 2018 MCAT" and "MCAT within 4 years of April of the year of Matriculation." So I thought that maybe I could retake it again before I apply.

The DO cycle is definitely longer, but the best case scenario is that you'll have your secondaries in by New Years and that's pretty late even for DO schools. If I were you, I'd take the gap year to retake that MCAT in the spring and have applications ready to go by Day 1 next summer. If you clear 505, you'll have a solid chance at some better DO schools, and you might even have an outside shot at some of your state MD schools with 508+.

You would be better off to retake the MCAT and aim for at least 500. Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500. A 495 is not competitive for most DO schools, especially at this late date in the application cycle. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July if you are able to improve your MCAT score.

Reactions: 1 user
You would be better off to retake the MCAT and aim for at least 500. Do not retake until your practice scores are consistently over 500. A 495 is not competitive for most DO schools, especially at this late date in the application cycle. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July if you are able to improve your MCAT score.

Yes, I understand this. That is why I said that I would retake it since I have been studying for it. So I guess the question becomes, if I made 500+ would it still be too late.

Yes, I understand this. That is why I said that I would retake it since I have been studying for it. So I guess the question becomes, if I made 500+ would it still be too late.
The earliest you will be able to retake it is January and that is most definitely too late for this cycle

Reactions: 1 user
From someone whose reapplied multiple times, do it once and do it right. Don't rush. If you don't get in this year, and reapply next year, they might go "all you've changed about your app is a new MCAT? NEXT!" and then you'll maybe shadow some more doctors and get the same response the following year. Take your time and make sure each piece of your app is golden. I know it can be frustrating.

For me the biggest hold up, and source of stress, in applying to DO schools was a physician letter. For some schools it is important, so you want to get that DO shadowing done as soon as possible.