Lat flap vs abd tram reconstruction

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bobbyseal

Boat boy
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just curious which type of breast reconstruction yielded an overall better result, lat flap or abdomenal tram. I was just in on a lat flap and thought that it really came out nicely. The abd tram seems nice if your patient would like a tummy tuck too. But, at the same time losing your rectus seems pretty morbid. Then again, losing your lat isn't too nice if you like to go rock climbing.

Members don't see this ad.

The lat usually does not have enough bulk for full-sized breasts unless you add an implant with it, kind of undercutting the benefit of autologous reconstruction. The next step up the ladder from latissimus/rectus based reconstruction are microvascular perforator-based flaps which don't use the muscle as a conduit for the skin paddle. These would include lateral thigh flaps, gluteal flaps, and most commonly DIEP flaps (deep inferior epigastric perforator) which take the same skin paddle as TRAM's but you dig out the vessel thru the rectus mm while leaving the muscle in situ. The perforator flaps have their fans, but these have been almost exclusively segregated to teaching hospitals as most Plastic Surgeons will not do free flaps at todays prices & the perforator flaps are even more challenging & lengthy then traditional trams & latissimus flaps.

To answer your original question: which one looks better depends on how much volume you're having to replace. TRAMS were an advance over the latissimus at the time described b/c they allowed larger reconstructions

In general, I'd say that a TRAM usually looks best. It will have the most natual ptosis. Of course, I don't plan on doing many free TRAMs when I practice. For bilaterals recons, Becker implants usually look really nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by maxheadroom
For bilaterals recons, Becker implants usually look really nice.

Becker's are kind of expensive which limits their use somewhat (I think they're close to $2k for a set). I've asked about a dozen surgeons about them (as I've never seen anyone use one) & they always give the same answer - $$$$

The lat flap reconstruction I was used implants with about 420cc apiece. The result looked pretty good. There was only one little spot on the right flap which had slightly low perfusion. I'm curious what these reconstructs look like after a few weeks and after the nipple reconstruction and tattooing.