last minute midyear questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

killerpenguin21

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok so im sure i can attribute this to nerves at this point but...

im attending midyear with my roomate who is seeking a fellowship. she is going nuts, has been locked in her room for days working on cv/portfolio/studying the programs etc, for interviewing.

on the other hand ive been what could be seen as lazy, i have my suitcase almost packed, and 10 copies of my CV and thats it.

should i be more nervous other than the anticipation of trying to find the tables at the showcase? can i attribute the anxiety level difference to her going after a fellowship and doing 12+ interviews while we are there?

i just need some assurance that im not going about this the totally wrong way i guess...

any input is greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you applying for a fellowship or residency? I hear for residencies, it's not important and you don't even need to give them your resumes since they won't read it. For fellowships, I can see why your roommate is stressing out. I'm also applying for fellowships and have tons of interviews lined up and I am stressing out!!! If you are applying for fellowships, I've been told to print 50+ copies of CV (2 sources). Since I also suck majorly at interviewing I need to anticipate everything ahead of time (but I know some ppl do great on the spot). Yes, I would recommend you research every place you're applying for so they know you are interested in the company.

personally im going for residency, she is going for fellowship.

i just feel like i have done zero to prepare other than my cv.

oh well too lat enow i guess...now im just nervous about the flight:rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)
ok so im sure i can attribute this to nerves at this point but...

im attending midyear with my roomate who is seeking a fellowship. she is going nuts, has been locked in her room for days working on cv/portfolio/studying the programs etc, for interviewing.

on the other hand ive been what could be seen as lazy, i have my suitcase almost packed, and 10 copies of my CV and thats it.

should i be more nervous other than the anticipation of trying to find the tables at the showcase? can i attribute the anxiety level difference to her going after a fellowship and doing 12+ interviews while we are there?

i just need some assurance that im not going about this the totally wrong way i guess...

any input is greatly appreciated!

id rather hire a person like you than your neurotic roommate.

For a residency, you do not actually interview at Midyear, so the fact that you have an idea for what you want to do and what you are (through preparing a CV) is enough. However, for fellowships, the actual interviews that determine whether or not you get invited for on-site interviews are conducted at Midyear, it is also normal that your roommate is spending much more time on preparation. Good luck to both of you.

Hope everything went well for everyone.

Each fellowship screens/interviews differently. I was told that one site took pictures of candidates...a good idea for them to put a picture/interview to a CV.

Our fellowship has a Jan 1st deadline, so having interviews before that date is like putting the cart in from of the horse, but we get to interact with the candidate, without worrying about whats on paper, which can alter chances of them getting a formal interview.

Hope everything went well for everyone.

Each fellowship screens/interviews differently. I was told that one site took pictures of candidates...a good idea for them to put a picture/interview to a CV.

Our fellowship has a Jan 1st deadline, so having interviews before that date is like putting the cart in from of the horse, but we get to interact with the candidate, without worrying about whats on paper, which can alter chances of them getting a formal interview.

Err... don't you mean "put the cart before the horse"? Anyways, it depends on the place. Some places do review your resume carefully before ASHP interview.

id rather hire a person like you than your neurotic roommate.

Well the preparation at ASHP is completely different for fellowships and residencies, so it's like comparing apples and oranges. I don't think "neurotic" is a fair assessment of the roommate. I'd say 75%+ of fellowship candidates are stressing out the same way. A lot of fellowships have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round interviews at ASHP and only invite the candidates they like to apply, so there is a lot at stake.

well everything went well for both my roomate and I at midyear. she went 2 rounds with her dream company and i got some decent info.

my downfall now is the lack of possibilities for letters of recomendation :/