Langerhans cells are not macrophages?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

FA says that macrophages in skin are called "Langerhans cells".

I thought that Langerhans cells were dendritic cells?

I know that dendritic cells are derived from monocytes, but why is FA calling a macrophage a dendritic cell?

What are macrophages in skin called, if not Langerhans cells?

Members don't see this ad.

Macrophages and dendritic cells are both phagocytes but they aren't the same thing

I think of macrophages as the "clean up crew" in that they clear foreign particles (be it debris or microbial things), while dendritic cells do the same thing, except if the thing that phagocytose is recognized as "dangerous", they'll migrate to the nearest secondary lymphoid tissue (eg lymph node) and present it to T-helper cells and initiate the adaptive immune response.

So in a very oversimplified way, both phagocytose things, but macrophages are primarily cleaners and dendritic cells are primarily information-gatherers.

Maybe they call skin dendritic cells "Langerhans cells" because there are dendritic cells in the secondary lymphoid follicles ("follicular dendritic cells") so we have to distinguish them?

sorry, misread your question, ignore the above text.
FA2017 says dendritic cells are called langerhans cells in the skin.

Last edited:
Macrophages and dendritic cells are both phagocytes but they aren't the same thing

I think of macrophages as the "clean up crew" in that they clear foreign particles (be it debris or microbial things), while dendritic cells do the same thing, except if the thing that phagocytose is recognized as "dangerous", they'll migrate to the nearest secondary lymphoid tissue (eg lymph node) and present it to T-helper cells and initiate the adaptive immune response.

So in a very oversimplified way, both phagocytose things, but macrophages are primarily cleaners and dendritic cells are primarily information-gatherers.

Maybe they call skin dendritic cells "Langerhans cells" because there are dendritic cells in the secondary lymphoid follicles ("follicular dendritic cells") so we have to distinguish them?

sorry, misread your question, ignore the above text.
FA2017 says dendritic cells are called langerhans cells in the skin.
That's odd, the 2018 FA says that macrophages in skin are called Langerhans cells. Hmm...