LandMark Clinical Trials in Oncology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

asprin81

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know its very extensive topic, But we can still try to give it a try.

We may try to list major major clinical trials for each cancer and each fellow/attending can contribute to it.

Peope who rotated as student or resident or fellow on Onc rotation might have noted that how important this is to know major trials to support each therapy in each cancer.

We may start this thread with major major trials in each cancer to support different standard of cares................

Members don't see this ad.

We may try to list major major clinical trials for each cancer and each fellow/attending can contribute to it.

Peope who rotated as student or resident or fellow on Onc rotation might have noted that how important this is to know major trials to support each therapy in each cancer.

We may start this thread with major major trials in each cancer to support different standard of cares................

Go nuts then. The last time this was started (4 years ago), a placeholder post just like yours was put in and then nothing else.

I'm just a premed, but since there haven't been any posts in here in almost a week, I thought I might jump-start the clinical trial stuff.

GBM: Stupp trial (PMID: 15758009) and 5-year analysis of the data (PMID: 19269895).

I understand that there's a difference in how long temozolomide is used after RT between Europeans and Americans? If I remember correctly, temozolomide is used for 6 months after the initial treatment in the US while it's used for 1 year after initial treatment in Europe (I apologize if I have switched those two around). I don't believe that any data exists regarding how long temozolomide should be used adjuvantly though.

Members don't see this ad :)
H&N Cancer :

Operable -->surgery (except larynx where organ preservative chemo-rad preferred)

Non Operable--> Chemo-Rad (Cisplatin or cetuxinmab with radiation)

Metastatic--> TPF (Cisplatin, 5 fu, texotere) chemo or similar combination

Nasopharyngeal respond well to chemo

LUNG CANCER:

Small Cell

Deal with brain mets first with gamma knife or whole brain rads before dealing with rest of cancer

Limited stage (only one lung involved/no pleural eff/whole tumer can come under radiation port) cispLatin/etoposide x concurrent radiation to lung followed by prophylactic brain radiation

Extended stage: Cisplatin/etopside x 6 cycle followed by prophylactic brain radiation followed by intermitted maintenace or clinical trial

Non Small Cell Lung Cancer:

stage 1a, 1b (<4cm) surgery or defenite radiation

Higher stage:

Adeno: 1b to 111b operable: surgery follwed by adjuvent chemo with cisplatin (can be replaced with carbo in renal failure) plus alimta or nevalbine

Adeno Stage 111 non operable: chemo/xrt defenite

Adeno: Non operable or stage 4: cisplatin plus alimta 4-6 cycle followed by maintenance alimta or taxane

Adeno: with EGFR mutation: tarceva po happyyyy

Squamous and other NSCLC: 1a, 1 b (<4cm) surgery or defenot rads

Squamous and other NSCLC: 1b-111b operable: surgery followed by adjuvent cisplatin (any of these: nevalbine, gem, taxane)

Squamous and other NSCLC Stage 111 non operable: chemo/xrt defenit

Squamous and other NSCLC Stage 4: cisplatin (any of these: nevalbine, gem, taxane) or avastin carbo, taxol combination followed by taxane maintenance

Hepatic Artery-Directed Internal Radiation Therapy Using Yttrium-90 Microspheres (TheraSphere®) in Patients With Unresectable Hepatocellular Carcinoma (Primary Liver Cancer) PCI-IRB-0611014

Radiofrequency Ablation, Chemoembolization, and/or Radioembolization in Treating Patients With Liver Cancer That Cannot Be Removed by Surgery NU09I2

Can anyone post the first author for each of the trials so that we can pubmed them?

Why don't you use just type in NEJM and a cancer type of your choice. And set limits as "human" and "randomized clinical trial." Most will be phase II or phase III trials.

Read a book! Read a book! Read a mother ****ing book! http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1102873

then watch the video